Universal Smash Champs (by Kiloo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. AndreB

AndreB Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    it looks great from the trailer !!! I think I'll love it

2. Kiloo_Jeppe

Kiloo_Jeppe Well-Known Member

Hmm, there shouldn't be a problem on this particular device. Are you using wi-fi or a 3g connection?

If the problem persists, please don't hesitate to contact our support team at [email protected] - they can usually help with most stuff.

3. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Why is there a max of 20 active games? Many players react slow when it's their turn. So if I open the game after some hours again, I can only play like 2 battles. The rest is still waiting. And the button to play against a random new opponent disappeared after I hit the 20 active games. This limit really should be removed. 2 battles in like 3 or 4 hours time is a joke. Almost can't play the game anymore...A real shame.

4. Kiloo_Jeppe

Fair point, fabianb. We played around with different values all throughout production and finally settled on 20, so the menu wouldn't get too crowded with fights, but it's not a difficult change to do, I'll talk to the team about it.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. Bravo Two

Bravo Two Well-Known Member

First impression with Smash Champs

It's been a long time since the last release from Kiloo and I missed the beta testing window for this game. But I picked it up the first day it was launched and have played it for a couple of days. So far I have mixed to negative feelings towards this game.

The first thing that hits you is the sign in options. With Facebook being the only option to set up a profile, many people (me included) are forced to sign in as guests. I am not sure why they drop Game Center integration (maybe it has something to do with Android and iOS cross-platform multiplayer?) but having an option to use Game Center is important since many people would like to maintain a separate gaming profile from their social lives. I wouldn't want to annoy my real life friends about what I am playing when our interests are different, but I don't mind sharing with my gaming friends about the latest updates in the games I play. The lack of sign in options results in many people defaulting to guest sign in, and everyone I am playing with is called "GUESTXXX", which is not good from a user experience standpoint. There is nothing in that name that I as a human being can remotely relate to, and I can't tell if it is the same person I have been playing with, which is the first source of frustration in this game. Maybe there is a technical reason for not using Game Center, but is it possible to drop everything that Game Center provides and just grab the Game Center nickname and create a new profile based on that name? Or more simply, let us change the name after a guest sign in?

The second thing is gameplay. Fruit Ninja, MyBrute and Kung Fu Panda maybe, but when the whole thing comes together, the combat overshadows everything and dominates your mind on what this game should have been. However action packed that training session is, you are very tempted to swipe your fingers on the screen during the fight between the Champs, only to realize that you can only sit back and passively watch an automatic cutscene of how the Champs fight. There is a fine line between an untraditional fighting game and a non fighting game, and when it is portrayed as such, people would expect to find excitement during the climax of the game. After putting an effort in preparing their Champs for battle in the training sessions, you would naturally think that you can finally enjoy yourself with the real fight, only to be given a big slap in the face that the game has long been over. This is going to disappoint many, especially when there are already a plethora of fighting games on the market, shaping the expectations and biases of many gamers. I understand this is a turn based game and is far from comparable with a fully controllable multiplayer fighting game, but the theme this game uses is giving us too much false hope. It requires resetting your expectations towards this game before you can start to enjoy and appreciate what this game is all about.

The third thing is implementation. With so many connectivity issues, your frustration grows as you try to move forward in the game. As soon as you hit a connection error, you can’t proceed, you can’t bypass, and retrying doesn’t get you anywhere. Restarting the game doesn’t help either, and you get stuck until you wait for a couple of hours before the connection can be reestablished. Giving us an option to retry later would be greatly appreciated. The lack of single player is also a big problem. At first there were no players online and you can’t proceed in the game. Now everyone jumps in and as you start to play the game, you quickly fill your list of pending matches to the maximum of 20. Now you are forced to wait for your opponents to take their turns, and there is absolutely nothing else you can do in the game. This can take hours and days, until the point where the opponents are automatically considered forfeiting the challenge (this is what I have been observing, with 4-5 players giving up at the same time without a fight). This is a big source of frustration, causing you to put the game down from time to time, when it is not particularly addictive in the first place.

When compared to the some of the previous games from Kiloo, this feels like a step backwards in every aspect:

- You can control the character in Bullet Time HD, but not in Smash Champs
    - You can explore different areas in Frisbee Forever, but can only see the same training ground in Smash Champs, and some more interesting combat environments where you can just watch
    - You can have non-stop action in Subway Surfers that can only get more exciting over time, but are forced to stop playing Smash Champs when your opponents haven’t taken their turns yet

Don’t get me wrong. This game still looks and sounds good. The animations, scene and sound effects are top notch. It still has the kind of feel and quality that Kiloo has always been delivering, and I am enjoying every little detail they have put into the character and gear models, fight animations and in-game menus, but the reduction in fun factor is quite a bit of a let-down.

6. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #26 fabianb, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    I have to agree with Bravo Two on some points.

- I only played with guest, and I'm level 10 already.

- The gameplay itself is actually quite enjoying for me. Watching a fight is just the outcome of the training you did. So it depends if you did a better training than your opponent. But what I really would like to see is more dynamic combat during trainings. It's kinda the same over and over. More challenging trainings would be a needed addition.

Btw, is their an official forum? I don't even have an iOS device, yet this is the only forum I could find about this game.

7. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    So much wasted quality animation and graphical work for what amounts to "competitive" Fruit Ninja LOL

My biggest issue outside of technical complaints with connectivity and limited design is the inability to pay to block the pop up ads that are now coming after every single fight.

8. Kiloo_Jeppe

Thanks for all the honest feedback, guys. It really means a lot, as it's the only way we can make the game better from here. We've got some big updates planned with a more diverse training mechanic and tons of other details, so I'm taking down notes and forwarding to the team. It does look like we need additional sign-in options as well as clearing out the problems with the slow responses.

By the way, if you are having problems with the connectivity, please tell me because that's one thing that we can actually improve without sending out a new update.

I'll keep you guys posted on the next update, but it should be later this month for sure.

9. Kiloo_Jeppe

Hi C.Hannum, the ads are permanently removed if you purchase any in-app in Smash Champs.

10. AndreB

AndreB Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    so sorry guys, maybe I expected another kind of title. So sad so badly.
    Very well done title I agree, but just watching instead of playing with an opponent as a normal 1vs1 it is just not the game for me. I'm at level 8 but this kind of formula didn't catch me...So pity very nice characters and presentation.

11. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks Jeppe for the more diverse training mechanic. The game could be a real hit but it does have it flaws at the moment. For myself I don't have any connectivity problems. Not sure about others.

12. darthtoon

darthtoon New Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Suggestions:
    1. Let us control the fighters in the fights
    2. make Earth weaker, it is overpowered against my jaguar with fire powers
    3. Make it easier for us to unlock every character

13. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    I defend m'Ladies honor and she throws me sweet kisses every time

14. iosfox

iosfox Member

Nov 3, 2014
    By far I've come across a ton of earth champs, especially Teddy, which really sucks as the fire champ, Ember because I'm at a 20 power disadvantage right from the start.

The only strategy is hoping my opponent does way worse than I do in training and at the point I am in the game, everybody level 10+ is pretty good.

I automatically give up when matched with any earth champs that have a similar score I do because there's no chance in winning.

I get that the idea is to encourage you to use multiple champs so you can counter the opponent in the next fights, but it seems so tedious having to level up your level 1, low level champs while still going up against level 10+.

I think there should be more mechanics such as temporary consumables that you can randomly earn in training, buy from the shop or unlock in the missions window. Consumables which negate the elemental advantages, consumables that give more XP/coins for a fight and consumables that level up your low-level champs.

15. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I fully agree. The elemental abilities are a fun idea, but it just doesn't work. It's just unfair to battle as a fire champ against an earth champ. You ALWAYS have a disadvantage. I also get the idea that you need to switch champs, but as described above, you need to level 2 champs at the same time. Which is not possible because you need to unlock other champions.

So it's a nice idea and it could have worked in theorie, but in reality is just a big disadvantage in fights. The frustration about this increases after every fight. I would strongly reconsider the elemental advantages. It adds absolutely 0% fun.

16. Kiloo_Jeppe

#36 Kiloo_Jeppe, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback and good ideas, iosfox. I just shared them with the team and they really liked the part with XP consumables. As you say, it's quite a mouthful to level up multiple Champs, and this is in fact something we are trying to tweak in a big update, which we are working on all cylinders to get out asap.

17. iosfox

iosfox Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I just bought the $4.99 coin pack and am still getting ads.

18. Kiloo_Jeppe

#38 Kiloo_Jeppe, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Hi iosfox, how long has passed since you purchased it? It will have to be registered on the servers before it's put into effect - if the problem still persists, please let me know, you shouldn't continue getting ads, so it must be a bug.

19. iosfox

iosfox Member

Nov 3, 2014
    #39 iosfox, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    I stopped receiving them for a while but I'm editing this post because I suddenly started getting ads again. Seems to be a glitch then.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else was getting some lag playing the training mode or if it's just that I'm on an outdated, slow iPad2.

Sometimes the game does not indicate combos even though I get a bunch of stacked orbs (3+ on top of each other) with one swipe or the game lags during the special mode with the circle and only counts a combo of 7 when I got all 15 with a single swipe.

There is also a glitch where the combo text appears but only for a fraction of a second and disappears immediately. I think it still adds the bonuses up, but not sure. This might be because I clear a wave of orbs and soon after a group of 4+ spawn so it lags the iPad2.

However, this lag only happens the first few rounds. Once the game is loaded for a few training minigames, there's no lag.

A suggestion is to offer a daily bonus round of training to encourage people to log in everyday and to have a risk-free way to let the game load up properly so we don't lag during PvP battles.

20. iosfox

iosfox Member

Nov 3, 2014
    #40 iosfox, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    I'm going against people who are getting like 230+ in the training mode alone (that's before armor/level power!). How are they able to get that much and so consistently?

Google searching for Smash Champs is also listing sites which offer cheat software that unlock all champs and infinite coins. Do you guys know about these?