Universal Smash Bandits Racing - (by Hutch Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 14, 2013.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Possibly because of lack of RAM issues. Just a guess based on other situations in which games wouldn't run on an iPod 4.

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Not even a guess: It's an iOS device with the demands of an iPhone 4 using the innards of a 3GS to do it. It's a terrible POS hardware wise. The only still functioning 4G touch in my house is my 5 y.o.'s - and we've promised to replace it with something better no later than Christmas.

3. The timers are pretty annoying...

4. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The game feels a bit sluggish to me. I get no real sense of speed. The timers really get in the way. I might like the game more without them. With them, the process of starting up the game (iphone 5) and actually playing is way too long for me.

5. AQ808

AQ808 Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Quite pleased to see this game hasn't cracked any "Top Grossing" list in the US between the iPhone top grossing 400 or ipad top grossing 500 according to App Annie, confirmed by the app-store top 300 for both platforms as well.

The dev's greed is being rejected here. Only wish Real Racing 3 had received the same response.

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Real racing 3 had timers but no pay walls . You could progress in the game and get any car. It wasn't difficult to earn money . I have 450,000 R$ and about 100 gold. This game I had to borrow a device to play it and it was full of paywalls. Please don't compare this to RR3, it hasn't got the quality or the long lasting gameplay to compare.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week poll
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Smash Bandits was successfully nominated as a finalist in Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week poll for August 22. Voting will occur over the next three days at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own game, and new user votes are subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2948847

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't fully agree. RR3 has the paywalls of high end cars and gold coin cars, as well as the timers. Did you get enough gold coins for the 800-coin Koenigsegg just by playing? I didn't and I assure you I've played a lot.

The paywalls here are the timers, as in RR3, but nothing else. You can buy all the cars in this game with normal currency as long as you buy them in order. I already have all up to the Spyker (included) with many updates. In RR3 there are some cars which you can only buy with special gold coins.

Sure, it hasn't got the long lasting gameplay of RR3, but I think it's good enough for an endless runner. You don't get too many endless runners out there that order track sections randomly for you to play on. This one does, and I love it. It's not the best game of the week (Asphalt 8 is :D), but I'm enjoying it a lot.

9. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I have to start by saying it's really strange to even compare this to RR3 in the first place. I haven't bought the 800-coin car, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have earned enough coins by the time I even get a chance to unlock it. But when you think about it, it's hard to complain about that car's price considering a very small percentage of players will likely ever play the game that long. The reason the "dev's greed is (not) being rejected here" is because most people don't seem to think RR3 is overly "greedy."

About this game, it was almost painful -- and I really don't mean painful in the traditional sense -- waiting for the wait timers. At first, I found that I was playing for about 10-15 minutes before my wanted level was maxed out. I know you can play again once one of the levels goes away, but that just means you'll be playing a single round before having to wait again. So basically, you're looking at a 100 minute wait before being able to play another few minutes. Of course, as you get new cars and use the power-ups, each round starts to last a bit longer.

I think I have about half of the achievements, all but the last two cars, a bunch of purchased upgrades, and I even saved up the premium currency to hire a lawyer. The problem is, at this point, I've grown bored with the game. I haven't filled up my wanted level since I got the lawyer, and some of the missions are a bit ridiculous now.

I feel like the timers killed the experience, but once you're playing a lot more, you can see that they were built in to artificially extend it. The world has too few environments to make it last all that long, so if you had no timers, you'd see through it sooner and be done with it in a day.

10. Does this game run faster on the ipad 4? Seems awefully slow on the ipad 3.

11. JayTay

JayTay Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    The timer has gone! New update just arrived:

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've been playing the update a lot and I love it. I already destroyed the 5,000 pumpkins and I got the Halloween HotRod. The new wanted system is fantastic.

Atm my only problem is I have a mission where it says something like "make the rare pink flamingo fly while on the boat", but I don't find the flamingo anywhere. Has anyone seen the flamingo? Where about is it?

13. Zhang Doe

Zhang Doe Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Liking the changes. It's a fair spin on the timer topic.

Now that you can't really get locked out of the game, I'm wondering if I should still spend my money on "Hire a Lawyer" or unlock the third gadget slot.

I would imagine the "Hire a Lawyer" option has effectively been nerfed as a result of the changes.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Now the ridiculous timer has gone i think i'll re-install this and give it another shot. Loved the way it looked and it also controlled well, my huge issue was the timer (still cant believe devs do that), but fair play to them for removing it.

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Seriously? How did you destroy 5,000 pumpkins already??

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #116 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    With the shield gadget. I already had the Spyker unlocked and maxed out, so with the shield and runflat tires it was easy ;)

Get the lawyer first, it increases the maximum to 10 and gives you more margin. Get the 3rd space for mods after the lawyer. That worked great for me.

17. Jay@Hutch

Jay@Hutch Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Dev at Hutch Games
    London UK
    Hi folks. Hope you are enjoying the latest update! I thought that now this recent update is out, its a good time to come and say hi and let you know that the team have been and are listening to any and all feedback from you. We also are working on lots more content and features for future updates.

Cheers!
    Jay

18. Jay@Hutch

Jay@Hutch Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Dev at Hutch Games
    London UK
    Here is am image of where the bird is (look for the sand bank). Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks Jay! That helps a lot! I sent you a mail suggesting some one-time IAP yesterday, and Matt replied today. Nice to see you're working a lot in this title. Thanks and keep up the good work :)

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    New update is a world better. This feels far more like the sequel I was hoping for. Anyone who jumped ship on release because of the timers, like me, should definitely give this another go.

Can anyone give me any hints on where to start the river dash (what's in the surrounding area, etc.)? I can't seem to find it anywhere.