Universal Smarter Than You (by EightyEight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I haven't had any problems short of Game Center usernames that are kanji characters not rendering but I'm not really losing sleep over that.

2. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    If the reviewer had experienced these issues I'm sure it would have been reflected in the review.

3. h_A_Z

h_A_Z Active Member

Oct 29, 2011
    PJ
    Is there any way to cancel a game? I invited few of my Game Center friends but they did not respond so not I kinda cannot start any games because the space is hogged up

4. cooltea

cooltea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 19, 2011
    France
    Someone asked the same question earlier in this thread.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Ok so today the game isn't crashing, however I'm stuck on gamecentre logging in screen, even after the welcome cloudpuff banner has been displayed....
    I was surprised to see it get 5/5 too but if Eli hasn't had the issues many of us have had his experience will be different. For me however the game is more than a bit buggy, it feels broken, and because I'm getting frustrated every time i open the app. I'm gonna end all my turns and wait until an update as it's mostly unplayable in it's current state, I'm sorry to the TA members who have been waiting on me to take my turn, hopefully we will play again the future. (Where I will of course win lol)

6. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Disappointed to learn that unlocked flair / faces / etc don't get saved to GC/Cloud?

I played a lot on my iPad Mini (Retina) and thought i'd give the game a try on my iPhone 4s. Despite being logged in to the same GC account, my stats/unlockables appear completely reset, as if i've started from scratch. The only thing that stayed the same was my custom avatar (from GC).

7. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Really want my stats, I now have another game slot, and a cool shades wearing avatar to add to my collection :)

8. 10000000 is great, and I was really looking forward to how to build a boat, but this seems like a nice diversion for Luca. Is it fun with randos on GC or better with friends?

9. Bliquid

Bliquid Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    With random people is fun and intriguing.
    With friends (RL friends) is priceless.

10. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I'd prefer to build a boat.

11. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I'd prefer a build that works.

12. Great_expectations

Great_expectations New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Yeah, I agree. If you can't finish a game, don't start one. 5 or 10 minutes to respond should be more than enough.

13. apignarb

apignarb New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    And not downloading the game at all and doing a best of three rock/paper/scissors with whoever is in the vicinity of you wherever is even more fun imo.

And yeah, i registered to say that. Sorry. And for the record, i loved 10000000.

14. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I can imagine this being fun with people you know IRL, but where is the strategy when playing against random people? The psychological aspect doesn't really work when you don't know anything about how every complete stranger thinks. It seems like a guessing game, no?

15. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Does "waiting for opponent" sit there for days for you guys sometimes

16. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I'm posting this here because I kept getting Disqus errors on the TouchArcade review comments section :p

Whenever a game comes out that tries to break the mold surrounding what is accepted to be a game, there is a small contingent of folks who voice their opinions that because it does not line up with expectations of what a game is, that it must be terrible as a result.

They're not wrong: when you see things subjectively, certain opinions or styles or ideas will look horrendous and in no way entertaining from that singular point of view. However, when looked at objectively, it becomes obvious that what looks terrible from one view point is genius from another viewpoint.

Look at Picasso's paintings, and compare them to Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings. From some people's perspectives, Picasso's paintings are superior to Da Vinci's, while some other people's perspectives are the opposite. Both groups have clear reasons why they like or dislike each painter's paintings, and there is no reason for either group to be dominant over the other.

People forget that great art is effective art, in that it delivers some kind of idea, experience, or message to the individual in a way that the individual can understand. If the individual does not understand the communication, the art fails to engage its target. What is being communicated is not always set in stone. The same work of art can communicate two completely different things to two different people. There is no need for one particular perspective to be superior to any other perspective, because the entire nature of perspective is known to be a personal interaction between a person and the work of art in question.

In short, there are folks who believe that shouting their perspective to the high heavens will make that perspective superior, and that is not simply true. What we saw here is Eli's perspective of this game, and it is in no way superior to any other person's perspective. Share how much your perspective differs from his if you must, but do not delude yourself into thinking that doing so gives you some kind of advantage over anyone else's perspective.

In short, do not argue, HAET, RAEG, or insult. Discuss, debate, ask questions, and be open to sharing your thoughts while mature enough to understand that someone, maybe a LOT of someones, does not agree with you. Do not fight or defend, but feel free to say "at least we can agree to disagree".

Personally, the game is a fun little social experiment that feels like a one-off, something done for "funsies" because the developer had an idea and wanted to put it into action, no more, no less. For those who like quirky or oddball experiments that may or may not work, it may be worth some investment into the game. For those who like solid, tried-and-true formulas for entertainment and want to ensure good quality entertainment for their time and, optionally, their money, then they will have to ask themselves if the potential to not have fun is worth the risk. I had a little fun myself, but I'm not likely to be serious about it, and I'll likely delete it if and when something else comes along. And that is not a bad thing at all; it's designed to allow such a "meh" investment, because it is free to play. The only risk is time, and spending a few minutes with the game is more than enough for me.

Make of my thoughts whatever you will.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

17. RENZponsible

RENZponsible New Member

Sep 30, 2014
  18. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    So...I like the game, but I've been waiting for the other players to take their turn for about 3 days. Haven't played one turn since then.

We need the option to end games.

19. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    It's possible to end games, agree it needs to be made clearer in game.

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Mind telling us how? Haha