iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not exactly. Two and three-player games last for ten rounds, four-player games have nine rounds, and five-player games have eight rounds.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #322 crunc, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks again!

Another thing about this game is that I find it a bit eye exploding. I can't just look at the map and really see what the situation is. I have to press and hold on the avatar to see what territories I have, and similarly for the other players. Maybe this is just a matter of getting use to the visuals, though.

It would help if there was an option to lighten the map (gray it a bit) so that the counters on top stand out better.

3. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    I have noticed that in solo playing just against the bot that the diplomacy skill is coming up. The bot has not picked it yet in the 2 times i have seen it, but was not this left out because it sort of breaks 2 player games before?

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #324 LordGek, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Hey Gang,

If this idea was already started in an earlier post just point me to it, but otherwise why don't we start listing our SW IDs?

DOW ID: LordGek (LordGek on TA)
    DOW ID: onlyphoenix (sapphire_neo on TA)
    DOW ID: tarasis (tarasis on TA)
    DOW ID: RealMadRooster (klink on TA)
    DOW ID: volcanopele (volcanopele on TA)
    DOW ID: Vaelsh (Vaelsh on TA)
    DOW ID: Aventador (Aventador on TA)

(I or any other mod can then keep this list updated with new entries)

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    SW ID: onlyphoenix

6. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    My GC & DoW ID is tarasis

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I can be found at RealMadRooster.

My first game against the AI was pretty crazy. I never scored the most point in a round and was sure I was going to come in last. But somehow I won the game.

8. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    My DOW ID is also volcanopele.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Klink, "RealMadRooster" is not showing up as a DOW ID.

10. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    My DoW ID (and GC ID) is Vaelsh. I am loving this game! So much better than before! :D

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks! It's been fixed.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So is the ability to abandon territories at the start of one's turn new to SW 2 or could one do it in SW as well?

13. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    DOW ID is same as forum name : Aventador

14. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Not sure I like this behavior where you can be added to a game without an option for declining the invite...

I was added to a four-person game and I see the game has now started but it isn't my turn yet. Not saying I have a problem with this particular match (love small world with more than 2 people), but it would have been nice to have an accept/decline option for game invites.

Unless I'm missing something...

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    True that is a little weird since withdrawing from a game in progress can make you look like a quitter even if you would have never accepted the invite anyways.

I also don't like how the game, if going to games in progress, just auto-loads a game of its choice when, maybe, I wanted to take the ongoing games in a different order.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is a major problem. They should follow a Playdek style system where a game does not begin until all parties have accepted an invite.

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yeah. The game invite system is my biggest frustration. It was mentioned in the beta, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Sadly, while I love DoW and pretty much every game they make, but they infuriate me with things like this, asynchronous play for TtR and little design things here and there that they refuse to either budge or listen.

Invite us, fine, but don't start the game and have everyone choose their race before we have the chance to say yay or nay.

That said, thinking about it the practice would much delay the start of the game, effectively adding another "turn", causing more delays. A setting "auto accept" would solve the problem for those of us who don't like it.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Newbie 101:

Probably doesn't apply to any of us here experienced with the game but I remember missing this obvious factoid when first playing.

Don't bother reinforcing an unconquerable territory.

The hobbits, dragon master, heroic, and seafaring races (among others) can create unconquerable territories, that as far as I know, means exactly that (in the game such territories will have a little red and white no entry sign on them). If you own such a territory, while you will need at least 1 army in place to hold the spot, never bother leaving more than 1 army there at the end of your turn after redeployment as it will gain you nothing.

19. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Can you give some hints how to play this game? I've played at least 10 with bot and I lost everytime... Wth? I understand the rules, but it doen't help me win the game...

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think the toughest part for me to grasp is how to time my declines. The cheap and cheesy way is to do it when the AI does so that way you both lose a turn at the same time, but with more practice you'll get a feel when your current race is reaching the end of their usefulness.

I also tend to go for power/race combos near the top of the list even if not optimal and just look for ones with a of of guys.