iPad Smack Boxing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocketman919, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    #1 Rocketman919, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
    App Store Link

The first boxing game made byFull Control ApS who also made the very underrated ElectroCute. Looks kinda cool and only $1.99, anyone wanna take the plunge? Gameplay looks a little slow though.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008

ya

3. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    BAH! You must tell me how, oh great one!

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  5. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  6. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    #6 parranoya, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Wtf

I just beat the first cigar smoking guy and then I have to fight him again? dont you move on after a fight? The punches are a little slow and boxers dont slide all over the place. Feels odd without the dodge....how will you counter? Time to get some shut eye

7. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    #7 Thomas Lund, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Hi

I am one of the Smack Boxing developers. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and we do listen carefully to what people say.

For this first version there is no career mode for one. So you have a random encounter and can thus end up fighting the same guy once again on the next fight.

We do want to add at least a "pick who you want to fight" screen as well as a career mode to the game + some extra opponents. Requests for crazy characters are most welcome. We initially had caricatures of political figures in there in the best "Spitting Image" style, but that got Apples reviewers up from their chairs. So we had to do last minute total art change.

With our latest game ElectroCute not really doing that well (thanks for thinking it was underrated - we ourselves really dont know why it never took off other than Apples semi crazy way of sorting apps by initial upload date instead of when they approve it), we decided to get the boxing game out fast and see what happens rather than spend 4-5 weeks extra development at this point. We do support all our games though no matter how well they do. But good comercial success means that we can expand a game much more.

/Thomas
    Full Control

8. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Sounds good, mate. Hope you get cracking on career mode soon, then i'll probably get it. At the moment, the game seems a bit too random for my liking. The concept is really good though!

Best of luck

9. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks! I do hope you consider buying it though right now, as its a bit of hen and egg problem. If everyone waits, then there is no incentive to make great feature updates.

And we think there is great gameplay already present in there using the random opponent mode for several train trips and similar :)

And you cant beat the $1.99 price for a original and good looking game ;-)

10. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

you should promote it more to make more sales. Anyway, the video doesn't show how you control your boxer. By tapping? Acce? :confused:

11. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Been sending out press releases for the last 4-5 hours now :)

So promotion is being done, if the sites are willing to post reviews that is. Also send out promotion about ElectroCute to e.g. touch arcade, but was only picked up by few sites.

Back to the question - the game is controlled by everything the phone has to offer. You tilt the phone to sidestep your player.

For punching you tap the left side for the left arm and right side for the right arm. If you simply tap, then the player will do a fast, but low damage jab at the opponent. If you swipe up instead, then your player does an uppercut that is slower, but far more damaging. The same if you swipe sideways which triggers a swing - again left side for left arm, right side for right arm.

Holding both sides down at the same time makes the player block punches.

The game is rather tactical vs. see who can press the most times/fastest. Meaning that for some of the more damaging punches you can still react and block them.

Each of the AI enemies has different traits. One is fast, but not very strong. One is medium and lastly we have a slow heavy hitter.

12. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

hmm ..seems easy enuff. ha ha. you need more input from those who bought and played it to improve your game then. But, I don't know how many are interested in this genre. ;)

13. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The game is interesting indeed.

It also has a Training mode that explains how to play.

A career mode would be a welcome addition: starting in the gym, the small fights then the big ones with ranking and all.

Right now, for a quick play, you could add at least statistics (winnings/loses) so we could keep track of our performances.

In addition, since we have just 3 opponents then maybe you could let us select it.

Great potential. Look forward for the next update. :)

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

around frame 1:43
    is that Bush wearing a F. Castro Outfit? -lmao-

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    So is this worth buying?

Also, what's with the stool in the ring in the screenshots. Didn't these guys see Million Dollar Baby?

16. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Idea 4 U

i would like to see head and bodyshots.....a slow build to powershots ---like a powerbar with a supermove ---- a speed bar that increases your speed...dodgin...and the ability to move with the touch screen

like having the upper punches mapped to the top right and left
    moving in the middle....keep block on both
    body shots mapped to the bottom left and right....
    --upper cuts mapped to the bottom left and right with a movement up
    --hooks mapped to upper buttons with a slide in the opposite way ( start right and moveleft)

I hate to say it but this could be just like super punch out ---then it would sell like hotcakes ---which I guess sell quite well.

you the code----just a few more tweaks and you have a hit. good first start.

Also keep the character in the middle of the screen if you adopt this button layout or he will be covered by your fingers..... do this and its *****.

17. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    mmmmm hotcakes....
    I'm with you man. I love punch out! (NES and SNES)
    this looks like a good start

18. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks for great comments and ideas! A bunch of those are now noted down on the todo list for the next updates.

One question - now that I got you here ;-)

To have a good tournament mode we need different locations and different boxers. Its fairly easy to make locations - but its harder to make lots of opponents. How important is it for you that each and every opponent in the tournament/career mode is unique vs. having a fewer opponents with e.g. special moves and similar?

And thanks for supporting the game!

19. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    well in punch out, the different boxers have different patterns/tactics/specials that you need to watch out for, making each fight a new experience.
    sometimes you have a rematch with an earlier opponent, but they behave differently than in the first fight.

I imagine you've already played these games. But if you haven't, stop what you're doing, and go find a copy of each.

20. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Hi guys (and girls?)

We are currently finalizing the feature list for 1.1 so we can get that out the door hopefully early next week.

The shortlist includes
    * An alternative control scheme with buttons on the side. We tried this during development of the game, and it is not the best scheme to use - really. It takes up screenspace and will not be as exact as swipes due to everyone having fat fingers. Fat fingers = fat buttons.

* Definitely adding character selection screen with AI settings

* Definitely adding at least one new character to the game - a real whackey one

* Vibrating phone when being hit (this is already put into our dev build)

* Option screen to turn on/off things like sound/vibrations as well as selecting alternative control scheme

* Having more control over AI difficulty, so it can be ramped up once you find the sweet spots and the game turns to be to easy

* Online tracking of win/loss with a global "highscore" list

This is by no means a promise to deliver all this in 1.1 - and its not the complete list of features we want to add. But its what we have right now in view for 1.1, and then we move onto the 1.2 list. One hot feature we definitely will investigate is multiplayer. But I will not promise that one right now as thats a biggie compared to the other things we have (career mode being on top after 1.1). If you feel strong for multiplayer mode, then mail me or post here!

We do care, and we do listen!

(And yes - we love Punch Out and crazy humour. Especially the humour part will be an ingredient in most of our games)

/Thomas