Slitherine is again concentrating on PC releases. Good read.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TokyoDan, Jul 31, 2015.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #1 TokyoDan, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
    "Android is just a disaster area. It's just a mess. Absolute mess. We've got some product up there, but we, frankly, don't even bother looking at it in our statistics. It's irrelevant. iOS is still a factor. Something like 14 percent of our business is still through iOS. In terms of where we thought it would be, if we'd had this conversation 18 months ago, two years ago, we were giving a different message entirely to our developer partners. What we're now seeing is do not compromise on the PC build. Do not take into your account that is going to go on the iOS. We have to factor the UI in, do everything else to multiple platform it. We're no longer doing that. The advice now is, 'This is a PC product. You make it the best PC product you can, and then we'll port it.'

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-07-30-if-im-truthful-i-think-our-player-group-is-obsessive-would-be-a-word

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Well, many of there titles were PC ports so I'm not sure why the sudden realisation that they're different platforms to design for.

Strat games on a tablet done right are absolutely awesome.

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #3 TokyoDan, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    It just confirms what I always thought about most of Slitherine's mobile games. They are not as cared for as the PC version. And for justified reasons...the mobile player mentality which they address in the article. That said even if done right for mobile, a keyboard and a mouse will always be better than touch for strategy games. More key mappings, fingers not obstructing your view of the gameplay. It is a fact.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'd disagree, it would be personal preference. A touch interface for a strategy game allows for direct access but how well it all works is dependant on the ability of the developers and their understanding of a platform. A good example would be Frozen Synapse, appalling control system on touch and very placeholder, compare that to Frozen Synapse Prime which is fluid and sensical, same gameplay, completely different experiences.

You can't make a statement and call it fact, my thoughts I'd consider my own opinion based on my preferences. Also blanket labelling groups of people is likely to result in oversight, "mobile gamers" are not one character type.