iPad Slingshot from Giraffe Lab

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GiraffeLab, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Hi All - Long time reader, first time poster. :)

My/our new game, Slingshot, was released to the App Store on Friday, and I wanted to let y'all know about it.

Slingshot takes place in space, where you use the gravitational pull of planets to help guide your missiles to their target. There are two modes: Arcade and Free Play. Arcade mode also has online leaderboards.

The YouTube video (below) didn't come out that hot, so you might prefer the full-resolution QuickTime on the website: http://giraffelab.com/slingshot

Here's the App Store link. If you have any feedback on the game I'd be happy to hear it. This is my second game; some of you may have seen the first one, Shufflepuck.

Adam/Giraffe Lab

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I'm glad you have posted here. I liked the video.

I've purchased ShufflePuck and I like it. I still play it from time to time.

I'll purchase your new game for sure. :)

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was eyeballing this game last night. It seems like the kind of weird thing I would like. there's been a truckload of good (and usually expensive) games in the last couple weeks, so I'm not sure if I'm buying anytime soon. Looks great though. I love original concepts like this!

4. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I love these kind of games! I've played some Flash-based games like this online, but not with these visuals. Looks great. I'd buy it but I'd rather not spend a whole lot of games as I'm needing money for Christmas. Maybe after the holidays. :D

And thanks for joining the forums. I'd love for more developers to be apart of the TouchArcade community.

5. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    LOL! I love how everyone wants a promo code now and nobody actually buys it. COME ON PEOPLE!!!! What the hell happened to "support the dev"?????

6. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    This game looks pretty sweet. :)

It looks similar to Bowman on www.addictinggames.com. Is it?

PS You guys need to stop asking for free games. These forums have gotten like 10 promo code giveaways in the last two days. Isn't that enough for now?;)

I might buy the game :) I like Bowman

7. mrcrunchynuggit

Dec 13, 2008
    Haha fair enough, thanks for killing my first post xD.

Im actually waiting for christmas to roll around so I can pickup some cards for iTunes.
    Great forums btw.

8. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Ohh well. I like the game, and its appearent that I'm not getting a code, so I bought it anyway

Anyway, welcome to TouchArcade! Good luck on the game, it looks awesome :)[/QUOTE]

9. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I have just played it... The controls are simply perfect. Well done!

So far so good! :)

10. A big thanks to everyone for their interest! Thanks also to Carlos-Sz in particular -- glad to see a Shufflepuck player in the audience. :)

Regarding promo codes: Right now I'm using them for submitting Slingshot to review sites. If you run a review site and you're interested in getting a promo code to review Slingshot, please visit its website and use the e-mail link there to contact me -- be sure to include a link to your site! Please keep in mind that the codes are a limited resource so I can't guarantee that you'll get one.

Thanks again,

Adam/Giraffe Lab

11. lazyrawr

lazyrawr Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oh neat! is this anything like the one on PC where you have keep all the planets inside the univers using physix?

ima check this out!

12. Slingshot is about using the planets' gravity to "slingshot" missiles into your opponents. In this game the planets and ships are stationary.

I've played a Flash game like what you describe, though... cool concept and very challenging.

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Slingshot update available (30Dec2008).

What's new

- Enhanced slider controls. Thrust slider now allows greater precision.
    - Friend and Worldwide high scores listings now highlight your scores and those of your friends.
    - Scoring sound is now easier on the ears.
    - Fixed rare scoring bug that resulted in low distance bonuses.
    - Fixed a crash bug.

Question/suggestion

Is there a way to fast-forward the opponent shoot? Sometimes I see a fast-forward symbol... If not can you add it? The waiting is killing me! :)

14. Right now Slingshot runs 4X real time when the missile is off-screen, but I hear what you're saying -- the really loopy shots can still leave you waiting. I'll put a player-controlled speedup feature as you suggest on my list for the next update. Thanks for the input!

It's been fun watching the high scores over the past week or so. The new #1 score (Ragashingo with 294,510 as of last night) is pretty amazing! (For those who aren't aware, the live high scores can be viewed in-game, or on the website.)

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Make one just like the Flash game. I've played something similar, and it is really good. And I've played another game identical to yours.

16. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    nice update

1.0.1 looking good. I almost got into the top 30, missed by just a few points lol

17. Just wanted to note that Slingshot is on sale for New Years -- $0.99. Happy New Year, everybody!

18. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks! Saw this on AppSniper, too.

Downloading this in just a few minutes :)

19. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Had to pick it up after reading all this and seeing that it's the Dev of Shufflepuck... A game that got me through some very long conference calls! Looking forward to giving this a go. My sun really loves iShoot and this seems like another one he'll be challenging me too.

Best of luck with the game... Loved Shuffle Puck and gave that one a good app store review. I'm hoping to do the same for this one.

20. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    I love this game and feel it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I just got the top score in the world (broke the 300,000 barrier) and have 9 in the top 50.

Thank you Giraffe Labs for a great game.