Universal Slayin - (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Meh, looks freemium.
    Will hold off

2. xBTAx

xBTAx Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Enjoying it so far, but... would it be so horrible if you got new quests as you played once you completed an old one? Seriously, these mission type of things work well in endless runners when you're constantly retrying every minute or so, but my third try got me to level 56. That took over 10 minutes. I really should not have quests I'm going to complete within the first couple minutes of gameplay at this point (kill 50 slimes is after kill three gravestones before they attack? really?), because rather than encouraging me to do better, it's telling me to intentionally die after a minute or two or I'll miss out on potential fame from quests.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I hope you take damage for each of your swamps tapped.

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    This is cool. Never really played a game like it. Kinda like the idea of a bit of RPG action while waiting for coffee:)
    Charming layout and fun boss fights. Coolness!!

5. goggles

goggles Active Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Color Me Impressed

This is the most fun I've had on an endless runner since One Epic Knight. The style, artwork, music, and overall feel are a perfect representation of 80's gaming. It's beautiful to behold, really. It plays on one screen only, yet it feels frantic enough that you don't notice. The boss fights are really fun, so far and help with the pacing of the game.

My ONLY gripe: The level ups. I wish the game didn't pause briefly when it levels up. It feels really jarring and interruptive to the action. If it simply stated that you leveled up but it didn't pause the action, I would say this game is perfect. It has IAP, but I didn't even notice them, to be honest. The game is fun right out of the box. Devs, if you are reading, please PLEASE consider undoing that pause feature on the level up. Other than that, FANTASTIC GAME HERE. THANK YOU DEVS. I'm a happy customer. :) :) :)

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Friend: Wat are you doing?

Me: Playing this game where I fist people with swords.... omg I just fisted this shopkeeper and he wants to give me bigger things to fist people with. WTF? I already got 800 fame? I am famous for fisting monsters and I just killed 30 Flaming skulls.

Friend: Can I play nao?

7. goggles

goggles Active Member

Mar 28, 2013
    WAIT A MINUTE.

You can go into options and turn off the pause effect for the level ups. Sorry, I didn't even think something like that would be there. Damn, you guys are freaking brilliant. My enjoyment just increased 9000%.

8. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Superawesome!!

9. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I hope, if this ever gets a sequel, it's titled "Super Slayin".

Just slayin' errr sayin'.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ahahaha... Iwas gonna quote your post before this to point it out, but noticed you found out yourself too.

From all the titles i got today and tested so far, Slayin and Badland are the best pickups.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Same here! This game is a blast. Initially thought it was going to be an ARPG runner - not a one screen deal. It's addictive as hell though and love how it plays...everything from having a merchant to stop by to the bosses. Very fun.

For such an arcade like approach, you wouldn't think this would be a complaint, but I'd love a save system. Not sure how long I could go but have played long enough where it would be nice to come back and pick up where I stopped.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im not really particular with having no save system. The game is one fun romp from the beginning til you lose all hp, and i wouldnt want to break that momentum throughout the journey.

I guess it's still a good addition if it does happen, but i dont think it's necessary.

I remember a long time back there's no hard save system and everything was either arcadey, or one that you cant remove the cartridge off the console (like FF1 on the nes).

13. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Wait so you are telling me that once you die you lose all your progress in the game??

What do you mean by a save system?

Just picked this game up but don't want to invest time in building up my character if all my xp n leveling up will be cleared once my character runs out of health

Can the dev or someone on here clarify this point thanks

14. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    I guess everybody got surprised by this game in some way. I also thought it was going to be something bland and repetitive, but it's really fun. Great concept for a little game.

Also, I'd say it reminded me of those battle sequences from Half-Minute Hero (which, btw, I'd love to see on iOS as well).

LOL that was surely an era-defining experience.

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Awesome game, but sorely needs moveable and smaller buttons to be remotely playable on an iPad.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Someone needs to shove NetHack in your face.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep it says it in the instructions/app description, once you stop or turn off your device or go back to the main menu you start again.

Its like a very old skool approach where in the old days you couldnt save your games but i think on iOS with lots of people wanting to max stuff out etc they wont be too happy about that.

Been playing this a bit, fun game, shame you cant continue but as i said before if they turned this game with the graphics/controls into a side scroller i reckon it would be a great hit.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ooooh... You'll be in for a great surprise!

Go ahead and just play it since you already have it. Let us know how it works for you :)

19. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    #99 putermcgee, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    the skin bug was fixed in an update that's available now.

fun game otherwise, but not very deep or long lasting.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    You can turn this off in the options, but personally I like this bit.