Universal Slayin - (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. You'll never hear me saying something negative about Mario or Pacman.

I just don't think that nowadays it's too difficult for developers to implement modern-looking designs as opposed to retro.

Gameplay is the number 1 thing for me as well. But I don't believe that it's always a budget thing when it comes to the game designs. I think it's just the developer's personal taste in graphics that causes them to go for retro.

I mean a game can still be good and fun even if it has these graphics - however, it could've been better :)

Still, I respect the fact that some people still like those kinds of graphics and it makes it a niche specific game. I guess I'm just not really in that niche.

2. Korbinian@FDG

Korbinian@FDG FDG Entertainment<br />Producer
    Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    perfect. thats exactly what we hoped to achieve with the archer!
    All of these 3 new chars play very different and are a new challenge to master but hopefully are fun to learn at the same time.

now i need to take a look at the leaderboards and try my luck aswell :D

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Funny, hadn't played this in a whole but reinstalled it hearing about the big update. Now I wish I had been playing for the past few weeks to grind up and save for the new characters!

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#444 Bronxsta, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Hey, I'm only 21.

IMO, gameplay should always come first. Before story, or visuals, or anything else. Those elements make for a more fulfilling experience, but without fun polished gameplay, that experience is already flawed in a base fundamental fashion.

I kind of dislike defining the visuals as "retro". That implies that style is outdated in some way. It's pixel graphics and it's a style that has still remains quite common today

btw, good luck with your site. I started mine last summer and it's been such a rewarding experience.

5. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks a lot! I really just got started, but I'm looking forward to seeing how things will be in a few months :)

As far as this game, I do think there's still a market for this style of visuals and I agree about the gameplay.

The best way I can think to put this is: If I were to write a review, I'd still add my personal view on the graphics, but I'd emphasize mostly on the actual gameplay and how the game actually scores for people who appreciate the style.

(to be clear, I'm not trying to promote anything - don't have a review planned for this one)

6. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    ;-( new characters are so expensive

7. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Also, love the alternate soundtrack! Even though i'm desperate for fame points to get the new characters, i had to get it :)

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well I guess I better get back playing my Mage to grind some points up to try these new guys out now! I know it's been coming but I've been playing so many great games lately I didn't get around to saving up.

Also with the comments on graphics I can completely understand pixel isn't for everyone my fiancée hates it yet for some games it really does work and others it's just because it's easier for them to do. With Slayin I honestly can't imagine a graphic style that would suit a single screen game like this more than the one it has. I believe realistic graphics would look stupid and even cartoony like Kingdom Rush wouldn't work as well here.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    So i just racked up 18k+ fame... Who should i unlock first? Im thinking, Tamer, coz he seems really different. :)

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

That's the character I'd unlock first. Seems the most unique compared to the others

11. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #451 Jrec15, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    So far i have tamer and archer, tamer definitely has the most variety. Every monster you tame is a new experience. However, so far i prefer the archer. The archer may not seem as unique, but that doesnt make him any less of a blast to play as his mechanic feels really slick. Just fits me better. Both are a ton fun though!

Small note that the archer does seem to get (random?) gold arrows while playing that pierce as many enemies as they go through and make them drop gold coins. Happens about ever once in ~4 shots but seems random so far to me though i might be missing the pattern behind it. It's a nice touch :)

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Crits maybe?

13. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Yea could be, if so would be cool to see a later item come with increased crit chance

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Im going for the Tamer :D

15. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    From my experience, it looks like you have to get the timing *just* right for the gold arrows, I've been able to get several in a row. If you watch the archer really closely during the dash before you shoot, you can see the arrow turn gold for a split second.

16. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Nice find that seems right, a timing skillshot. I like it

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Wow, this is surprising: the Spanish AppStore has chosen Slayin as their game of the week. Even Apple loves Slayin´ :)

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    All the things being said here convinced me, plus FDG produce great titles. Bought :D

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Slayin is Editor's Choice on the US appstore too.

20. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Is there no way to save your progress? :(