Universal Slayaway Camp (by Blue Wizard Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I'm really not a fan of the Minecraft art style, I really dislike that style to a point where I won't buy a game even if it's awesome just because of that. But this one looks fun even tho it might be very repetitive, I'll keep it in sight for a while.

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am not a huge fan of this art style in general, but it makes a lot of sense here in that it mitigates the gore factor; it is also very well done. I am still fairly early in the game, but the presentation raises what looks to be a good puzzle game to a great one. Very fun!

3. yasasnirmana@gmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    YouTuber
  4. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    there are little things that make this game so good
    i love how with each movie you can tap on them and then on the back like a real movie
    you get a write up on the plot
    you can sign up for free and get characters for free each month and i think they are exclusive to those
    that sign up and it's free also if you have a 3D printer they will give you the template to print out your
    own toys based on the characters.. it's these little things that make this so good

i do not like puzzle games much and don't care for blocky graphics but I love this game

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This game needs a mod replacing skull face with Trumpyface and the camp counselors with...well, I will leave it to your imagination.

After watching AppUnwrapper's video, it looks good, but it seems to me that the little bonus minigame at the end of scenes really interrupts the game flow.

6. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Best Game Ever

7. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    one of the best games, that's for sure.

8. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    horror fans game right here, well done love all of it and the homage given to old games and movies. Just unlocked the Tentacle from day of the tentacle LOL.

9. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Literally one of the best games ever. If reds kingdom got game of the week then this should be a game of the year nom?

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Really?!

11. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Remove the question mark sir
    Really!

12. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's a big statement, which got my attention.

13. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    So much fun, plus gore. Am having a blast. Great game!

14. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I love this game. It has a ton of personality and it completely nails its horror theme. World and level selection are done by selecting a VHS tape and popping it in in to a TV. You can even read the back of the VHS tapes. The puzzles have a great difficulty curve with unique mechanics I haven't seen in other puzzle games. The aesthetic of Minecraft turned me off initially but it has its own unique spin on it...I also think they made this decision to tone down the gore so that it could hit the App Store. A solid purchase! If you are hesitant to buy it, don't be! Trust me!

15. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Bought this the very first day it was released on steam (after playing original website version) and I had a ton of fun with it. Buying iOS version as well, definitely worth it!

16. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Love the game!
    A must buy for puzzle/gore fans!

The VHS thing remind me of Manhunt.
    Which is good!

17. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but when you die, if you leave it on the screen for a few seconds, movie credits start to roll. No details were ignored putting this game together. Absolutely brilliant!

18. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    The beta testing period was long and constantly adding detail and content.
    This game should be on everyone's devices.
    Hopefully it gets some love on main page and people who thought reds kingdom was good will check it out because it kills that game imo

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

As surprised as I am for saying this... yes. Really.

For me, this is the equivalent of Portal on iOS. I didn't realize in my stupidity this was a puzzle game. Nobody to blame but myself, but I had no clue.

So I was initially very bummed. I am also not a HUGE gore fan but all the brouhaha about the game was enough to make me delve in, considering I grew up in the 80s, I remember seeing the Nightmare on Elm Street movies in the theatre it had a bit of a nostalgia pull.

But holy crap after I finished the first 2 films I couldn't stop. I don't know how long I sat on the toilet but man I was sore when I got off.

Because I'm not a huge puzzle guy, by the end of the tutorial ones (where you're dealing with a camp counsellor) I started to need just a little help. But, like with portal, I just needed maybe the first or second move and man does Youtube come in handy.

I love it when I'm able to get it on my own, especially when it's tricksy, but even getting a small nudge isn't frustrating.

To be honest tho, the hint system is a BIT vague and pointless, at least for me, but that doesn't take away from the game at all.

I gave a small bit of time to red before I just didn't come back, but this and guild of Dungeoneering have really renewed my deep love for iOS gaming. There's something super appealing about the game, even if you aren't a fan of gore. Maybe I don't mind it because it's more reminiscent of, say, the first mortal kombat and I played a LOT of that game. Either way, it's very well done and even though I was initially disappointed, I feel with a puzzle game like I haven't since Portal/Portal 2. Considering those games sit alongside Mass Effect, Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Super Mario World... that's saying something.

Oh man I have to try this. Thanks for the heads up

20. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Really glad I bought this its an incredible game!!