Slay the Spire (MegaCrit)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    This delay is just agonizing. What’s the hold up? Take my money! :p

The only iOS port I’m anticipating more is Into the Breach and at least those devs have had the decency to keep us totally in the dark as to the mere possibility.

Talbs likes this.
  2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I know StS is still the 1 desire, but have you checked out all the other deckbuilder rogues? I find there’s a number on iOS that imo are Much better than Dungeon Tales. Those would be Pirates Outlaws, Dream Quest, Card Quest, and Dimensions of Dream. Blood Card isn’t bad but the mechanic encourages deck-bloat because cards are life, which is not enthused by but still.

vectorarchitekt likes this.
  3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I recommend it, yes.

Is it random. It has been a while since I fully jumped in to this, hence my first comment, but I did give it a go out of recollection a few weeks ago, though didn’t go far because, life/distractions. But, from what I recall, some aspects are random, but overall, there is a story. So if I recall correct, the overall story is set-ish, but there are heaps of encounters to find in no certain order, making for some randomisation. The map you explore, and the enemies you face And the loot you find are randomised.
    So yes, it is for the most part random, and death sets you right back at the start to choose from a Range of characters, roll their stats, and set off again.

the visuals are hand drawn and charming. The combat is dice mechanic with your load-out modifying the outcome. So that last aspect is close to DnD style.

I think this would have a place somewhere in your gaming interests of late. Yes, jump in.

btw this game hasn’t been updated in years, so there’s black bars around all sides on x devices. However, if you don’t already, and I recommend this to everyone: Get used to using the iOS zoom function activated in the iOS settings. Turn the zoom controller button on, and set to full screen zoom, and then zoom on galactic keep app accordingly. Pretty much blows the image of the app right up to near full screen anyway.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I just bought Pirates Outlaws. Very well done. I love Card Quest as well. Didn’t love Dimension of Dreams, and also tried Blood Card and Lophis.

5. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    MegaCrit, the devs of StS made a level in Levelhead to help Butterscotch Shenanigans celebrate the launch of the game. If you wanna give it a try, check it out: 9b8zxb9 (and the Tweet on IndieWorldNA).;)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wow a lot of people love this one. I hope i'm proved totally wrong, not keen on card games and saw the trailer and it didnt blow me away but i hope 100% i'm proved wrong ! I'll give it a go once its out. Looks intriguing, perhaps this is the card game which I totally like

7. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Trust me, this game is addictive as hell. I bought this on steam a while ago and cannot stop playing ever since. The replayability and possibilities are phenomenal

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #88 psj3809, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Thanks, sounds very interesting ! Think i'll get this once its out

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Btw, it's interesting to read the story about game's reception on wiki. If it wasn't for that one streamer, maybe everything about it would've been different these days. Who knows...

10. immafirestarter

May 7, 2020
    Male
    You should try dream quest, it's the best of the lot.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Saw this over on the StS discord from one of the StS devs. Seems about a week old. Does not sound good. I’d really thought they’d be past this ‘issues’ stage. Sorry about the image size, best I could manage.

Attached Files:

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, the game's allegedly been in QA since December, so they may just be referring to constantly being asked about the port. *shrugs*

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Or, they are expressing anguish over signing their baby over to some publisher who is mangling said baby into a free to play monstrosity and so they have to use quotes around the word "port" because by the time everything is all said and done the mobile version will be a husk that barely resembles the original game.

That's probably just me being cynical. I hope this isn't the case.

Alex DeLargest, Talbs and Rocksaint like this.
  14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dear sweet baby Jesus, I REALLY hope that's not the case. :eek:

Talbs likes this.
  15. Would u still play it if it becomes a f2p?

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Me, personally? I'd download it out of respect and then delete it and probably get it on Switch. Hypothetically. Let's not jinx this into becoming a real thing. >_>

17. immafirestarter

May 7, 2020
    Male
    If this is the case (and it has timers and gems and that kinda bs), then I’m downloading it, reviewing it 1 star, deleting it and continuing to play it on PC with all the mods. Easy 10/10 on PC, even without the mods.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I ‘think’ I recall seeing a post from one of the devs in reply to someone about pricing structure and from what I recall of that, it was premium at that time and they were indicating somewhere in the range of $10-$15 USD. This was many months ago though. I remember other posters were saying they should charge more and don’t do that ‘just because it’s mobile’.

Anyway, I really don’t think it’s to do with ‘mobileizing’ the game. And the very brief non-dev commentary I’ve seen over on the discord from those that are following closer than I am seems to express that Megacrit is working hard where they can on this.
    I think it’s hit some snags in the porting process. Maybe troubleshooting crashes/corrupt code/incompatible code going PC to mobile platform.
    Well here’s hoping it’s the port stuff and not ‘mobileizing’ stuff anyway.

19. XDawg

XDawg New Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    #99 XDawg, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Okay so from what I can gather, MegaCrit sold the porting rights on mobile (or at least android) to A.C.E. Program, which is a Chinese company owned by Tencent. They have a long track record of buying IP for indie games so that no one else can release it on the Chinese market, and not actually working on most of the games they purchase. They did the same thing with Stardew Valley, Don’t Starve, Cytus II and many more. I’d reckon it’ll be at least another month before we even hear any news about the port, it seems like A.C.E. tends to focus on one or two of their games at a time, and moving on to next ones once hype starts to slow down. There’s still dozens of notable indie games under their ownership that they have yet to port, but Slay the Spire is definitely next in line, or very close to that. There was a video of a slightly buggy but fully functional demo of the game posted back in November, I highly doubt that a company like Tencent lacks the man power to finish a QA process in half a year, so I’m fairly certain it is close to done by now. As for the claims about F2P, A.C.E. does seem to port their games faithfully without changing the nature of the games, they’ll probably get enough money from the 40k+ users that preordered it on their website, so at least there’s that. I’d like to close this off by saying that all of this is speculation, and I know very little about the inner workings of mobile development, but it does look to me like A.C.E. slacking off on the port to focus on the rest of their massive catalogue of unfinished ports. They really should have gone with a better publisher like Playdigious, but obviously Tencent offered a lot more money, and I can’t really blame the devs for wanting to get paid for their hard work, but selling a game to A.C.E. is literally the worst option if you wanted a game ported fast.

Chinese gamers have also been anticipating the release of this game, and many others that A.C.E. purchased the rights to, and I think they put it best when they described it as “占着茅坑不拉屎” or “taking up the toilet stall but refusing to take a shit”

20. Playdigious is a very good publisher/porter. They work even harder on after-release feedback.