Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Yes that's why we have this forum where people can share their opinions. For me, I'm okay with the UI. But cloud saving is a big deal. I switch between devices too. But sadly it misses one important feature that I most expect in a game. Hope the future update will include that feature and fix any crashes if any.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  2. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    How are everyone's runs? I've just unlocked the watcher and the heart. Been playing non-stop

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I’ve only done two runs (only cleared the first boss in either) plus part of a daily so far.

but I wanted to share about how I’ve adjusted to the controls a bit better.

Im finding that it seems like they’ve both implemented a tap card + tap to play and a touch and drag to play system, which can be used ok when you get used to it, but really I feel like maybe if at all possible the two play styles could been an option from the settings. So either have one or the other or if you still really want, then both.

Im finding that one of the more consistent ways of getting cards to standout for reading from the hand is to just tap the one you want to see right in the top middle of the card. That should cause it to pop up just above the rest and definitely so the whole of the card is visible.
    from here you can either tap on your character or the enemy to play the card as necessary, otherwise tap on the card itself to cancel out.
    That’s the tap method.

the touch and hold/drag method basically starts the same but involves you just dragging the card to wherever.

They both work reasonably well once you get used to it, but it seems evident the two systems may be fighting each other at times and causing the finickyness, along with needed optimisation in general.

Anyway. The point of this wasn’t to complain anymore but to highlight the two touch systems and how they’re quite workable, and hopefully this helps someone out in getting the interface to work for them.

Lull4by, stubbieoz, houseofg and 3 others like this.
  4. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    I'll agree with others in this forum. This is a great mobile port but for my tastes the UI is just horrible as of right now. The iCloud is not a dealbreaker but still a key missing feature all games should have in 2020. So i asked for a refund and will wait for future updates and see what happens. I'll gladly buy it again.

archinerate and andsoitgoes like this.
  5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hope all fans of the genre also check out Dark Mist this week. Will save comments for the thread on that game but it’s different and hope it didn’t get lost in the shuffle.

And still having a blast with this one!

Makara Nou and houseofg like this.
  6. codeb0t

codeb0t Active Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Dark Mist is coming to iOS? The PS3 dungeon shooter?

7. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    No it’s a rogue like card game. There’s a thread for it.

Makara Nou likes this.
  8. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    To be honest I was disappointed when I got around to playing Slay the Spire on my Xbox (free with Gamepass), I love these kind of games but Pirates just does everything better than StS for me!
    That being said I will buy this as well, but to those on a tight budget (or wanting to dip their feet in the water) I would suggest the alternatives (mentioned in this post).
    p.s I also recommend Dark Mist (just available this week), its cheaper that StS and has a really cool mechanic where your cards are also your life.

Talbs likes this.
  9. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Pirates is a grind fest to me. Slay the Spire is better in every way IMO.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I was supposed to go to sleep and ended up playing this for 2 hours or so. It's so dang addictive. I can see why people love it. And I just kept unlocking new characters and I wanted to try them all.

If only they could refine the touch controls and enlarge the cards. I do hope they're noticing the feedback somehow.

imdakine1 likes this.
  11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Just pointing out that Night of the Full Moon was created by a 10 person studio and published by a huge Chinese corporation. Slay the Spire was largely made by just two people.

12. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Just died 2 spots from the end of act 3 (would never have won the final battle)... awesome :)

13. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    One of my best runs, Ironclad is at his best when he could build up ridiculous amount of strength

Attached Files:

14. Night of the Full Moon has been in my device for a while. But does it have the same /similar mechanics to StS?

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes. not exact same as such, but similar. For example, in StS you can see the entire ‘tree’ for your progress to the boss (of that ‘level’), where as in Notfm you can’t see that entire tree but reveal each event as one of 3 options at any one time. That’s just one difference.

Pretty sure Notfm was modelled off Dream Quest AND StS.

Makara Nou likes this.
  16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    @geoelectric eloquently broke down the lineage of roguelike deckbuilders on iOS (and other platforms). The following may be of help to those wondering what the differences between the plethora of games are:

"The first StS clone on iOS was Royal Booty Quest, followed by Pirate Outlaws and arguably Dimension of Dreams. Key elements were having the line of opponents calling shots up front, them not having a deck with AI so much as a fixed card playlist for each enemy, having forced rewards with discard being the scarce resource, things like that. Key loop quality was that enemies are predictable, so strategies are enemy specific.

Before that, NotFM was Dream Quest’s cards with fairy tales and graphics, and Meteorfall was that + more balanced/original x CalArts drawing style x Reigns (no offense, slothwerks, is a brilliant hybrid, and I may be ignoring a common ancestor).

Meteorfall in particular does take discard economy as an aspect as a result of the blind tree structure, much more so than DQ or even StS because you can’t plan an entire level at once and save monasteries or vendors. Otherwise being single opponent and not playlisting enemy attacks is a large difference. Play is much more random.

Card Quest (and later derivatives of that like Blood Card) was a separate “genre line” on Steam already, and I think most of that type involve player decks you customize up front rather than build on the fly."

Ijipop, geoelectric and Makara Nou like this.
  17. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! I didn’t know that. Since I’m mainly an iPhone gamer I waited for STS and only had clones to play with. My issue is likely just that it might be unfair to consider the made for mobile like meteorfall and Night of Full Moon vs STS which is a port.

I truly can’t wait to get STS as I’ve waited to get it on mobile. Just disappointed to hear about some UI issues such as reading cards on iPhone.

18. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This is the best and clearest explanation to me who has been on the side lines based on the UI concerns for a total newbie!

“Im finding that one of the more consistent ways of getting cards to standout for reading from the hand is to just tap the one you want to see right in the top middle of the card. That should cause it to pop up just above the rest and definitely so the whole of the card is visible.”

Thank you so much for sharing this! Makes the UI issues sound a bit less of an issue now...

from here you can either tap on your character or the enemy to play the card as necessary, otherwise tap on the card itself to cancel out.
    That’s the tap method.

Talbs likes this.
  19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I noticed the game has a bug with that tap card feature. Very often unfortunately, the game won't show the entire description of the card and will just make half of the card visible. If I keep redoing the tapping, eventually it shows the whole description as it's supposed to.

This is a bigger issue on newer devices because with the home bar graphic is persistently on (the dev can hide it or apple can just add an option to remove the damn thing) , you literally have the text covered right on the bar. Unless you memorized the cards, you have to utilize the tap method to see the descriptions or drag up and risk accidentally playing a card. The controls are so conflicting it's a bit of a pain. And since it's not 100% working for me, I really hoping this game gets a bug fix / UI upgrade.

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #100 Talbs, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Try what I described a few comments earlier. Post #83. Tap in the top middle of the card. This should bring the card fully up to the max height currently allowed within the hand area.

It’s finicky. It’s not 100% reliable but it’s the most consistent way I’ve found to get individual cards up and elevated for viewing, aside from doing the slide finger from the side across the cards thing.

It sort of seems the game elevates the card relative to where you have tapped on it. So if you’re tapping in the middle of the card it won’t go up as high as if you tap in the top of it. They should really just raise up to be fully viewable when tapped, but anyway, this is how it is, at least for now.