Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Wow... been holding out to play this game and wanted it on iOS as I heard it could similar to night of the full moon which I think is a total sleeper hit!

After hearing it doesn’t do iCloud and interface isn’t “perfect” yet I’ll hold out for now. For $9.99 I am expecting a near perfect version as they are a bigger studio and this has been year(s) in the making to be released in mobile.

It makes me think how amazing the smaller developers who reach close to perfection at lower prices like Night of the Full Moon. I also have Meteorfall and Silent Abyss all purchased a while ago with no time to have played them yet but they reached major positive reviews from the start on mobile and was significantly cheaper.

I still can’t wait to play this and imagine that one day it’ll be perfect on mobile but for now truly disappointed to hear where it stands and I give a big thumbs up to smaller developers today and their success over this one for now!

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Its fine on my Ipad. I play most of the big games on Ipad, especially card games, these old eyes just don't see the same way they did 30 years ago.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Kind of a nitpick but I am pretty annoyed that the game runs with home button on the left. Having to keep flipping my phone (especially when in rotation lock) when most apps are the opposite way is very annoying. This problem is way more noticeable when you start swapping through multiple apps.

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes write a review but dear lord don’t 1 Star review bomb it. That’s exactly why good things can stop coming to us.

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    actually i don’t have any issues, and i’m playing it on a 6S with an old battery...

the UI is much better than a lot of recent ports that i’ve bought, not perfect but really acceptable, battery drain is almost perfect (seems that this guys are good in game optimizations), still don’t get any bugs and the playability is fast enough to keep me hypnotized forever... the overall port is fantastic!

StS in my pocket... what a wonderful day!

6. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    I support this to the max... god, what a rush this is... the game definitely has a safe spot on my keep-on-phone-forever-list. No bugs encountered so far, and i habe been playing for hours today. If you have problems, maybe restart your phone?

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    And for the love of God, don’t complain about the price. It’s $25 on Steam! And FWIW, as much as I love Night of the Full Moon and other StS clones, they still can’t touch the original. Such a good game and glad to finally have it on the go!

ackmondual likes this.
  8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    $17 on Switch. And nothing like iCloud.

9. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I’m okay with the price tag but I
    am NOT okay with no iCloud save. It is pretty much a no brainer in any 2020 apps. Especially in a game like this where you ABSOLUTELY WANT to save your progress.

I’m not going to play it and make a bunch of progress until I lose all of it when I buy the new iPhone on September.

Or I’m not going to make a decision whether to play in on my iPhone or my iPad. I want to switch over whenever I want to

Makara Nou likes this.
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’ve been been buying new iPhones every year or two since the first one. I have never lost progress on a game when I upgraded. You don’t need iCloud saves to transfer your game data from one phone to the next — just follow the instructions when you upgrade.

Don’t get me wrong: iCloud saves are nice. But I’ve spend thousands of dollars (gladly) on Nintendo games that are essentially locked to one device. To make iCloud a deal breaker seems a bit much.

11. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    One thing that bothers me about this game and all the clones it has spawned is, what is the point of the end turn button? Once energy is out, and you’ve strategically used any potions, what else are you going to do? Why not auto end?

12. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    It’s a bummer to see that the conversation here is centered most around iCloud support being left out rather than how rad this game is..... it makes all the clones pale in comparison, and considering $9.99 is as cheap as you are gonna find this game, it’s a steal. Stoked as eff to FINALLY have the real thing. I’m sure iCloud support will be added.... i feel bad for all y’all holding off. The game is incredible

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You may want to end turns before you run out of energy, especially when you have a relic that let’s you keep unplayed cards. There are also some cards that consume 0 energy, and you can use potions without consuming energy, too.

14. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    This is absolutely true. I have never had any problems with my save files before. I never lost progress in my games and when I want to upgrade my phone, backing up to my laptop is certainly reliable.
    iCloud save is indeed kind of mandatory these days when people have much more devices at the same time than they did before. However, I still do not think that it matters that much that the game lacks this feature, especially when this is a wonderful gem of game. Making the lack of cloud saves a deal-breaker is extreme, if someone makes their decision of buying this game based on that, they surely will regret.

ste86uk, metalcasket and pathogen541 like this.
  15. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have no issues with the price and truly can’t wait to play this since I’ve been waiting forever. While I have the cheap clones I think it’s okay to admit what those might do well or better especially when comparing from likely a small studio vs larger studio.

I’ll definitely be getting this game one day but will wait it out a bit as my back log of games has grown and grown! Having a 2 1/2 year old has made the past 2 1/2 years amazing but light on time! Hahaha

squarezero likes this.
  16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    MegaCrit being called a larger studio is quite humorous.

Nothing to do with your posts at all, but I'm absolutely avoiding this thread moving forward. The sheer amount of complaints over iCloud support in 55 posts is just...wow. I don't think I've ever seen this many posts trying to justify not spending $10. Have fun in here y'all. I'll have fun playing the game instead. :)

17. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Never played the pc version, so honest question:
    What does it have over NotfM, Pirates outlaws and Silent abyss (my top3 card/rpgs on ios)?
    Note, i am going to buy Sts when i finish with Pirates eventually, because i love the genre. Just trying to understand why iyo it blows everything out the water :)

18. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Good lord in heaven do I love this game.

But holy heckfires do I realize I’m officially old and need progressive lenses in my glasses. I spent the first 45 minutes playing by looking UNDER my glasses and the remaining time by using the zoom accessibility has made me reconsider my choices.

the bummer though is, I’m sorry MC I really am, not being able to swap between my iPad and my phone. If we are being real I’m not gonna lug my 12.9” iPad into the can with me.

but my phone? 100%. And with the Zoom feature it only mostly sucks. Not entirely. But enough that it’s a challenge.

I need to try and find my Apple Pencil charging thinger. And I’ll be giving it a solid review.
    But it’s astonishing that they haven’t fixed the touch screen support considering all the issues we are having here existed on the switch to as severe a degree as they are here. The issue is with the switch at least you could change to controller support. Herr you don’t have that luxury.

19. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    You can try the game and see for yourselves. There are many features of StS that those other games can replicated. But not a single one can deliver what StS does. If you can only play one card game, or may be even only one game, make sure it's this game. It's that good. Okay you got me, I'm a huge fan haha

20. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Considering this game since it's been a while that I've played it on steam. The problems seem to be that it's locked in one orientation, no save between phone and iPad, and tiny text? What are the problems with the UI as I could just play it on the PC, and I haven't in a long time. I'd like to support the developers, but not if they put out product inferior to it's clones on the app store.