Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I didn’t play this on mobile for ages but I agreed that I didn’t like the UI.

don’t know if it was improved since then.

2. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    @metalcasket this is where my opinion will become unpopular . I always wanted to play Slay the Spire. Specially after loving and beating everything there was to do in Night of the Full Moon. I played over 100hrs of Slay the Spire and not having played it anywhere else I really didn’t notice the bad UI. I mean after reading stuff here and realizing sometimes I may have chosen the wrong card possibly it could be better. But honestly for anyone who never played this anywhere else, it won’t matter. Grab this game. It’s incredible. Best deck building game out there. So addictive and just so much fun. Could the UI be better ? I guess. But I don’t think anyone should pass on it for that. Specially if you never played it anywhere else.

pathogen541 likes this.
  3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Not an unpopular opinion with me. Totally agree! (And I have played it on other platforms)

elcrazy likes this.
  4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    andsoitgoes and elcrazy like this.
  5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Great news. Unfortunately no mention of actual card selection + zoom fixes (my biggest want) but the larger text and images is definitely second most wanted fix. Hopefully the upgrades are enough to make me want to install it back on to my device again. Just selecting the cards + reading the text after a while on the phone became a pain.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #326 Talbs, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    That’s true about the card selection thing. As we know, it’s kind of unpredictable and most times requires two taps to select a card. I’ve grown accustomed as we still have freakin’ slay the spire on our idevice at the end of the day which is brilliant.

But all these flagged changes also has me a little apprehensive I must say, given the track record of the porter (I think it’s Humble?), with regard to the state of the first release and very little support so far and the time this has taken. If there’s an issue with any of what they’re about to release, it might not get addressed for a very looooooong time and we might just be trading one improvement for a loss in another area somehow.

like, I’ve read that on android, the game does a weird “sync” on load and that sync often takes up to a minute. So just to load the game is 1 minute for android users each and every time unless you do some weird workaround like quickly soft closing the game at launch.
    I sure hope we see none of that with the introduction of iCloud.
    Excited but aprehensive.

andsoitgoes and L.Lawliet like this.
  7. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Yikes. Well I for one had little to no issue on the original build. I will wait to update personally to see what people say about it. Haven’t played in a long time. But it’s never leaving my device.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes.

But to me the UI changes which I was most excited for don’t seem as extensive as what I thought sly had announced a month ago.

previously it was going to be
    “- Larger text
    - larger images”
    https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/okjldp/ios_patch_update/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

But no it seems to be said as something more of a “adjusted fonts”.

9. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    And I'm torn because I'd like it on iOS and PS4 instead of Switch and PS4. This is the kind of thing that finally convinced me to buy a Switch after three years of deliberation. I saw subreddits where issues with StS on Switch were addressed promptly. Probably a different porter. Also worth noting that the Switch version is far less likely to be adversely affected by OS or hardware changes (eg, screen ratios and notches) for the foreseeable future. I'll wait to see how the community responds to this update before making a final decision. The sad thing: I'll probably have it on all three platforms eventually.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    At this point (after this upcoming update I mean) iOS basically reaches the same version all other platforms are at (yes, even Android…WHEN IT LAUNCHED!), so it all comes down to how much cloud saves mean to you. If you absolutely need to have a portable StS (I know, Switch is technically portable…but not…pocketable? :p) then a $10 hole in your pocket won’t be too much of a problem. Also, keep in mind that the probability of iOS updates screwing up apps is much, much lower than it used to be in the olden days. That said, Jesus Christ, I will say this again…had Playdigious been given porting duties, we absolutely, ABSOLUTELY would not be having these conversations at all. So frustrating.

L.Lawliet, squarezero and downgrad3r like this.
  11. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Agreed on all points, especially the "portable... not pocketable" Switch description. That's the reason it took me so long to pull the trigger. The only place that I'd whip out a Switch (other than at home) is while on vacation, which is unlikely because I'd rather spend that time unplugged to the extent possible. Maybe a hotel room? Hell, I don't know. Probably shouldn't have bought the damned thing.

L.Lawliet and elcrazy like this.
  12. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Lol. This is why I waited soooo long for mobile. For me this is not a game I would play on the switch. And ya I don’t consider the switch “mobile”. It’s for easy use at home or play in bed while wife watches bad tv lol. I still find it perfect. Would like to see the better version as described here by many. But this version is great for me and it’s actually mobile. I played so much of this and look forward to diving back in after the update…… Shortly after to make sure it’s not broken lol

downgrad3r likes this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I mean, there’s certainly never going to be buyer’s remorse with the Switch itself…don’t be silly! :p But yeah, I’m like @elcrazy in that I wouldn’t personally play StS elsewhere, and thus never picked it up other than mobile. In hindsight, knowing what I know now…maybe not the brightest decision! :p Still perfectly playable (and an incredible game regardless), but…yeah, no need to retread over what’s been brought up countless times.

downgrad3r and elcrazy like this.
  14. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Well said. I definitely consider the Switch to be a console. Above, I neglected to mention how cramped the iPhone experience can feel. Of course, it's usually not as much of a problem with titles like StS as it is with those like Hyper Light Drifter. What am I trying to say here? The Switch (Lite, in my case) has better ergonomics. Another point in the Switch's favor, but you're so right when describing StS on iOS as "actually mobile." Looks like I'll start with the iOS and PS4 versions. I never play it on Mac. Bought several games on Steam, but computers equal work in my mind. I usually can't wait to get away from my desk in the evenings.

15. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Between the two of you, I'm convinced that this (previous post) is the right plan. Thanks for indulging me!

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I don’t think I have ever refreshed my AppStore updates page looking for an update to drop so much!

17. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Lol. I have done that for a few games over the years.

@downgrad3r @metalcasket I am also heavily anticipating the release of Dicey Dungeon on iOS. Can’t wait to play that game. But again that is a real mobile only game for me. And Switch ain’t it. Lol

Talbs likes this.
  18. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I don't disagree.

Full disclosure: I broke down and bought Dicey Dungeons on Switch for $7.50 yesterday. :D

elcrazy likes this.
  19. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Lmao. I almost did the same. Hence the reason I brought it up here. But I just can’t. I know I won’t play it there. Not enough anyways. That’s a game I need for actual mobile play out and about, in the car, or bathroom breaks lol. I bought grindstone on the switch because I won’t do Apple Arcade. And I put a good 20-25 hrs into it. But that’s also not a switch game. If that was premium on mobile I would play it non stop. But that’s funny you pulled the trigger. I really almost did a few times, and really last night with 0% off currently but I just can’t. Need it on my phone. Looks so good.