Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I must admit I’m not feeling the levels of frustration - I play, it’s a great game, I’m happy. (Sorry!)

elcrazy, Gwarmaxx, anthony78 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    same here…

pathogen541 likes this.
  3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    completely agree. This port needs some work but I feel it’s been blown waaaaay out of proportion. It’s entirely, completely and totally playable from start to finish.

elcrazy, Gwarmaxx and anthony78 like this.
  4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I don't think it's been "blown out of proportion" but everyone has their own opinions. If you can handle it, fine. If not, then it doesn't make our opinions any less valid. I've been gaming for a very long time and I can tell a good UI from a bad one. And also if you haven't played a card game with an amazing UI, you probably won't notice it like others would.

Go read the reviews on the app store, there's plenty of people that have the same complaints. And same for in this thread. Only regulars mostly come back in this thread but there are plenty of people who aren't going to bother coming back to the thread for such an old game with no updates.

If a game doesn't play well or have issues, you're allowed to give criticisms. I wouldn't brush it under the rug just because the original game is good. I love FF7 but I didn't like the "emulator" port and after 50+ hours on mobile I called it quits. It works, it plays, but it's not great.

pathogen541 likes this.
  5. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I'm not sure that I'd say the complaints are blown way out of proportion.
    While I agree that the game is, as you said, completely playable, it does feel as though the developers responsible for the port developed to that exact specification. Make the game playable, and then stop. It's only by virtue of the fact that StS is such an amazing game, that I still want to play it, despite its numerous shortcomings. That said, even when I do play it, I always think about just grabbing my MacBook and playing on that, as it's a much better experience.

I think what makes it particularly annoying is that, in theory, StS is a game that should be very well suited to mobile. While a complete UI redesign would be amazing, that isn't reasonable to expect. However, a few small tweaks would shore up 90% of the annoyances and at least make playing the game on mobile not feel like a chore.

In the end though, it's still the best game of its genre, and it's the best way to play it on mobile, so I guess I'm stuck playing it. I just can't help but imagine how much better it could be.

pathogen541 likes this.
  6. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Ill put it this way. The entire time I've played StS on my phone (69h 05m and 42s, 4737 floors climbed) I've only once accidentally flipped the home bar up and exited out of the game, I don't have a problem viewing cards or using the wrong one, yes the lack of icloud support is frustrating BUT Im not one of the guys that feels its a deal breaker, at no point have I ever felt playing StS was a chore, and that's between playing it on an iPhone 8, an iPhone 12 PRO Max, and an iPad Mini3. I agree that the game could be further optimized, and I've seen the app store reviews, I understand people have differing opinions, and I respect that, but this is my own; this port could be so much worse than it is. YES, it absolutely deserves more effort than what its being given, but I do believe that some of the complaints are over blown. People are absolutely free to disagree with me as I expect they will, and they should, I enjoy spirited discussion and having my perspective challenged, thus far tho, Im not seeing what everyone else is seeing, nor have in the entire 69 hours of playtime i've logged on my Pro Max alone, not counting the numerous hours on my other devices as well.

Its one of my favorite games on iPhone, and it is THE BEST Card-battling roguelike there is (again, my opinion), I just hope people are willing to make their own decision and give it a chance before getting scared away by the reviews and complaints that are being lobbed against the UI.

7. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I've played nearly ever card battler I could find on iOS, from Meteor Fall to Spellsword: Origins, Pirates, NotFM, Steam World Quest, Dream Quest, Dawn Caster, Void Tyrant and that other obscure StS knock off Dreaming Dimension, and i stand by my statement, the UI isn't that bad in my opinion. In no way am I saying or suggesting that you shouldn't be able to provide criticism of a title, and I challenge you to show me where I said or insinuated anything of the sort. I said I felt, and still do feel, the criticism is overblown, that isn't an effort to invalidate anyone....its my opinion.

elcrazy likes this.
  8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
  9. Darren_n

Darren_n New Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Male
    #309 Darren_n, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    I've already discussed UI and time tracking software here; it seems to me that this might be a problem with a port,s opposed to a few other mobile card games...Okay...maybe I'm complaining too much... I liked it, for the most part. It was easy for me to read anything, and the text size is perfect in my opinion.

pathogen541 likes this.
  10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Psshyeh, but waiting with baited breath for what’s actually included in the update for iOS. I don’t think there’s been any whole conclusion, which gives me the thought that it’s just the latest balance change (nerfs and buffs), but no iCloud nor much in the way of improved UI. But I guess it’s not long till we find out.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

based on the thread it seems at the very least there’s an addition of a confirmation which would be enough to get me back to try it again. I miss playing it on mobile.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    If it’s the same ‘confirm’ that I read about, then I saw nothing but complaints from the Switch owners about this confirm ‘thing’, so I’m also waiting to see how that turns out. I also saw that a subsequent patch was released for switch removing the confirm so :)

andsoitgoes likes this.
  13. andsoitgoes

Personally I’d be happy with that for the iOS version. I always found myself screwing my runs over by the wrong card choice. I hope this will be a nice improvement. I could be wrong. Lord knows I have been in the past. Excited about something only to have it be a miserable experience

at this point I will literally take ANYTHING.

i am anxiously watching the update. Hopefully it won’t be a month from now.

14. andsoitgoes

15. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
  16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm just really curious of the contents of the update. But I'm going to temper my expectations and not be optimistic. Waiting this long hasn't left me a lot of hope in them.

I read the reddit and it seems the devs have been mostly ignoring StS updates and are working on a sequel which might explain why there's very little interest by the devs in updates. They do explain there's some communication issues and such but I honestly think they don't care much about the mobile port and want to put their resources into a new game to make more money.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    We've hit a milestone, ladies and germs! :D

I started freaking out because I thought the game had been updated, but instead came to the realization that iOS Slay the Spire's last update is exactly one year old.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

CrayonWarrior, bx59 and Talbs like this.
  18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Let’s hope Apple approves the latest update before another year passes!

Talbs likes this.