Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    After losing 40+ consecutive runs, I finally got my first non-daily win with the Silent. The 3 Catalyst cards, coupled with multiple poison stacks lead to the time keeper taking 600+ points of Poison damage.....

Justice.... is delicious.

Attached Files:

skoptic and Rocksaint like this.
  2. SoftBoil

SoftBoil Member

Aug 10, 2020
    I've been interested to try this game but noticed that there have been zero updates for 7 months. But maybe the game in great playable state and i don't need to worry about it. What do you guys think?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's playable and it's a brilliant, brilliant game, but mobile version, sadly, is probably one of the worst places to play it. :(

L.Lawliet likes this.
  4. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Sadly, this is true. I still dump tons of time into this game, but this port needs work and has not gotten much, if any, attention post-release. Wish this was in the hands of a different dev at this time... this port isn’t being given the attention it truly deserves.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  5. SoftBoil

SoftBoil Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Is this mainly due to interface, performance, or some other technical issues?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Interface. All interface. You're almost guaranteed to either swipe your home bar every. single. time. or give up trying to check out your deck. While not an alternative to Slay the Spire, SteamWorld Quest utilizes the same card mechanic (basically) and nails it. It's so frustrating that StS doesn't get it right.

L.Lawliet and andsoitgoes like this.
  7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    FWIW, the interface could have been better for mobile but I don’t have any issues with swiping the home bar. I don’t think I’ve ever swiped the home bar. Sure it could be better but it’s certainly playable for me.

Talbs and pathogen541 like this.
  8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

for the price and the promises made, the fact that they haven’t even tried in the last 7 months speaks VOLUMES. They have made so damn much money off this insanely sloppy port. There were the same issues on the switch port which have almost entirely been corrected, touch screen issues that I remember thinking “damn if they keep this the mobile port is going to be really frustrating”, lo and behold they ported it before they did any updates and we have a copy paste of the touchscreen issues from the switch.

again if they actually put in even a modicum of effort or showed support that they’d fix the game, I don’t care. I’ll wait. But it’s been radio silence. I hate nothing more from developers. And they made a literal truckload of money from this port so there’s no excuse behind laziness or greed.

9. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I would agree with you, I don’t think the interface would’ve kept me away, nor would it keep me from recommending the game. I’ve not had issues with the home bar, but I definitely have accidentally played the wrong cards, or made the wrong selection due to the ui. I’ll still play the hell out of it, warts and all.

Talbs likes this.
  10. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    And I agree with you as well. I would venture to guess that iOS gamers threw their money at this title in crazy amounts post release, and during pre-order.... I mean, it really is THE BEST Roguelike deck builder there is.... but yeah, the dev legit plopped this title on us and kind of seems to have taken the stance of “it is what it is”.... hell, how long has the android port been out now? The promise was they’d start working on stuff after the Android release, and still, radio silence.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  11. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    So I’m noticing a few things that I believe are new, unless I missed them this whole time:

bug 1: when resting as the watcher, text explaining amount of health healed is obscured by your characters head. This also happens with the Iron Clad, haven’t noticed it with other characters.

bug 2: when playing a daily challenge in which a chimera deck is featured, as the watcher, attempting to use an “orb” card of The Defects, the channeled or is hidden behind your characters head when playing

really wish humble would get on this, idk why but I’m scared this is gonna end up like BoI: Rebirth; released and forgotten. This title deserves so much more attention from the dev than it is getting. Really a shame.

12. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    For those interested. I've held off because of concerns this would become the next TBoI.

Attached Files:

pathogen541 and Talbs like this.
  13. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Doing the lords work my friend, thanks for posting this here. I am worried about this port, but if Humble says they are working on it, I trust that they are. Soon Ill be able to do a run without sending myself back to the home screen with the home bar.

downgrad3r likes this.
  14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Yeah I’m not buying what they’re selling anymore.
    Don’t get me wrong, I bought the game but I have absolutely no faith in this dev. It’s been waaaay too long saying the same thing. Nuh uh. I call BS

pathogen541 and L.Lawliet like this.
  15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I want to be optimistic but haven't they said they were working on this stuff way long ago? And the game hasn't been updated in forever then they made the android version. I feel like they got their initial mass of money and that's enough for them.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

pathogen541 likes this.
  16. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I can't disagree. Hoping more folks will email Humble Games ([email protected]) with similar inquiries. All of the assurances on Twitter were from Mega Crit. I couldn't find one by Humble Games. My email to them was as follows:

I haven't purchased this title due to longstanding UI issues and its lack of iCloud synchronization. StS on iOS hasn't been updated since shortly after release, although other iOS titles (Forager and Crying Suns) from your studio have been updated regularly during that time. The iOS App Store and several online forums are full of comments highlighting specific issues. I have several questions:​

- Is there any hope for the latest StS updates and/or bug fixes on iOS? In other words, has it been abandoned completely at this point?​

- Should prospective customers expect a total lack of support for StS on iOS going forward?​

Me, too! And it would be nice to have a reasonable expectation of continued support based on Humble Games' track record with StS specifically, although that ship may have sailed. Interestingly enough, they've issued several updates to both Forager and Crying Suns since their respective releases.

L.Lawliet, Talbs and pathogen541 like this.
  17. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Pretty sure MegaCrit is probably doing the coding. Humble Bundle just publishing so that’s why you may be seeing different levels of support for different games under HB.

18. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Makes sense. Mega Crit has referred to their "porting team" on a number of occasions. I always believed that to be a reference to Humble Games, and HG's response did nothing to dispel the notion. I can appreciate their willingness to accept responsibility instead of blaming MC, although the latter has zero credibility on the platform. Case in point: MC advised that iCloud was one of their "priority updates" . . . last June.

I believe the past is prologue, which means that there's almost no hope for iCloud and the requested UI improvements, that is, unless StS is being reworked extensively. I'm inclined to see iCloud and minor UI improvements as more likely than not given HG's response, but the prospect of future updates (beyond the next update) or ongoing support seems dim at best.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    These are my exact sentiments. They talked about improvements long ago, almost to placate us. It really saddens me. That email response sounds like typical PR stuff. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and suddenly a massive update will come out with a new UI interface, better controls, and iCloud. Sigh.

downgrad3r likes this.
  20. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Well they had specifically said their team was working on icloud. And that was at the beginning, which was what? 7 months ago? More than that? I take anything they say now as just trying to calm the waters and give people a continued sense of hope....no timelines, just generic we’re working on it mumbo jumbo. After this amount of time, as a realist, I have to just accept they are full of crap. They have lost me as a customer for any future games. Bottom line.
    Should this port ever get fixed, including iCloud, I would be ecstatic. And for their next game, I would ONLY purchase if it came with all the bells and whistles. I won’t be the one waiting for updates. They will be the ones waiting for my money...

downgrad3r and L.Lawliet like this.