Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #221 Talbs, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    The tap on the top middle comment was me, and it seems to work by far most of the time at least for me (Xs Max). Sometimes a card may not fully pop up, but it’s simply a matter of tapping again, very easily done. Honestly, I wouldn’t base your decision on the UI response as it’s functional and now I’m very used to it. Actually, that we have the option of either dragging and dropping cards, or taping to select and taping again to play, this is fairly unique, most games are one or the other, like it or not. So there’s a silver lining.

I’d say get the game if it’s something you’ve been looking forward to already. I would welcome some UI adjustment, but enjoy it the way it is. Though understand that I’m playing on an Xs Max. It might be a different experience on smaller devices.

imdakine1 and skoptic like this.
  2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #222 Jstorm, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020

retr0spective, imdakine1 and Talbs like this.
  3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Top game! It’s by far one of the best games out this year, I truly love it.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    It’s weird that I have an iPhone X and have never had an issue with a card popping up halfway where the text is still cut off. Love the game and still happy to have it on the go!

imdakine1, skoptic and djstout like this.
  5. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! I’m leaning toward getting it now! I’ve waited to long to play this game! Haha!

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Who is the best of the 4 characters?

7. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    They all have very different playstyle and can all be extremely powerful with the right cards and relics. If I have to choose, you will rarely go wrong with the silent and the watcher. They have the most consistent sets of cards, and most builds with them are viable

8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I personally think the defect being the most stable with the orbs.

9. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Its hard to say any of them are "the best" because they are all balanced incredibly well. You can argue that each character has the potential to be EXTREMELY powerful. Its all about how you build them. Personally, I like the Ironcland, and the Silent. They are my favorite so far and the ones I have had the most luck with. The Defect, in all honesty, is my favorite character, but I have yet to win with the defect. Ive won with The Ironclad (A2 as of right now) and The Silent, but not the Defect, or the Watcher. The watcher seems like there is potential for some CRAZY POWERFUL BUILDS, but I haven't really done much with that char yet.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #230 L.Lawliet, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    It's funny because I think the exact opposite. I think the easiest and most consistent performers are the Defect and Ironclad. The Defect's orb gameplay gives you everything you need to dominate opponents. Ironclad is very balanced and is like the "standard" well-rounded class.

I find Silent needs good card set up for utilizing poison or a specially focused deck, otherwise you'll be stuck doing not much damage. Watcher is definitely the hardest and requires the most skill. Timing rage and getting a perfect deck are important. The Watcher also definitely needs good cards drawn and planning way ahead of time. I still can't beat the game with Watcher no matter how many times I've tried. You can also die the fastest using the watcher if you turn on rage early and just get dismantled in the first few battles. Imo I wouldn't call the Watcher's deck the most consistent since it was all over the place and picking the wrong cards will screw you over easily. I wouldn't recommend that class for beginners.

But it depends on your playstyle so picking what's "best" is subjective.

11. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Actually my viewpoint is exactly the same with you when I first played the game :D
    The fact that I completely changed opinion when climbing ascension just tells how much diverse this game is. The reason I said the watcher and silent decks are the most consistent is that in higher ascensions, relics are a must. We'll suffer so many debuffs that unless we have a good combination of cards with ironclad, it's nearly impossible to win. He has the brute force and the healing but without a reliable way to stack strength and avoid substantial damage. The watcher, on the other hand, has many options regarding damage output, especially in the first act where you'll want to get as many relics as possible. Again, relics are a must later on.

12. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    ME, last night at 9:00pm - "The wife is asleep, ill play one run before I go to bed too."
    ME, after one run, getting annihilated as the defect - "Man, I think I was close to a good deck on that one, maybe just one more, its not too late."
    ME, at 1:00am, after about 10 "one more runs" - "HOLY SH** IT'S 1:00AM??....maybe just one more run."

this game is going to end my productivity at work.....

13. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    1578482A-13AE-4A32-9073-FD6556060F90.png

FINALLY. After nearly 31+ hours of playing, I got my first victory with the Defect... still need to get wins with The Silent and The Watcher now.... and wins on A1, and A2, A3 etc..... this game has so much content.... best $10.00 I’ve spent in a long time on the App Store

14. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    This is what I’m afraid of and excited about... hahaha! I usually finish doing the dishes and some stuff my med prep for daughter who has some health issues and I play games after she is asleep and usually after my wife heads to bed as well.

pathogen541 likes this.
  15. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Likely going to get this finally tonight or tomorrow! Not sure what you mean as in a total newbie but 31 hours is a long time to get a victory so I can’t wait as it seems like it’ll be well with the $$$

pathogen541 likes this.
  16. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    The most shocking part is... your wife is asleep at 9:00PM.

pathogen541 and imdakine1 like this.
  17. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    with this game 31 hours feels like nothing. I’m still very much a newbie!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET PICKING THIS UP!!!

andsoitgoes likes this.
  18. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    she’d be asleep at 8:00pm if I let her. I swear she’s borderline narcoleptic....

19. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I just bought it and will pray that it won’t crash and that I can figure out how to pay the game with the potential UI issue reading cards! As a newbie I have waited way to long to play this although I almost bought it on steam today for the MacBook for $12.99 I really like mobile games as I have it with me all the time! Cheers!

20. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Ok, glad I got it. Starting first run. I have to say I am disappointed with the UI as I have an iPhone 8+ I definitely have a hard time reading even before I embark. To me this is a bit ridiculous and anyone testing this would have made that comment as the first thing they would see. I tested games for the original PlayStation back in college for Sony and as testers we would make comments on UI, gameplay, and crashes.

It’s obvious that they should have made the font bigger.