Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. mastery51

mastery51 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    iPad mini 4, iOS 13.4.1

2. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #202 retr0spective, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    I was skeptical of spending $10 on this but I am very glad that I did. This game is amazing! I am finding it both challenging and extremely satisfying. Unlike the various clones, I am also pleased that there are no in-app purchases. This is my first exposure to the game on any platform and I can immediately see how so many others have taken inspiration from it in many different ways. I am playing on iPhone 8S, iOS 13.5.1, and I haven’t encountered any bugs or difficulty playing so far.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ...makes me cry on the inside seeing the 1-star reviews on the AppStore, smashing the rating down and probably impacting potential sales.

This is only probably the best game on the AppStore right now. It’s got some quirks, it’s not an ideal port. So bring the issues to the attention of the devs by deducting a star or two perhaps, or maybe send them a direct message, but drop a 1 Star!?

Why we don’t often get nice things.

Apologies for the rant.

4. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    We live in a world where all the Candy Crush, Gardenscapes, PUBGs, Gacha RPGs and those gazillion city-building games get flooded with 5-stars and money. Can't help it. Mobile is a platform dominated with casuals. It's just the way it is.

I feel blessed to have some indie developers who still care enough to bring their games to mobile. If not for them, it would be a dead platform for me.

ackmondual likes this.
  5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree, one star reviews dont help but maybe people think theres no other way of contacting the devs?

Some of the basic things like small text etc is pretty bad to make it through to release. Yet on the other hand people would moan if the games delayed as they have to make more changes ! Devs cant win !

6. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I agree. One star review is absurd as this game is one of the best game available not just on mobile but even PC as well. Sure it has issues, but then nothing is perfect. If this game is 1 star, wth is ever gonna be 2 stars?

7. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Problem is for most people, it's either a 1-star or a 5-star. Majority of them not bother to actually think before they rate a game.

At least that is what I've noticed in my region's App Store.

Alex DeLargest and Talbs like this.
  8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Honestly I don’t find it as addictive as I have some of the others but it’s still a great game and anyone that rates it 1 star is insane.

Rocco SE likes this.
  9. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    If a game does not run, even though the game is installed on a device that is listed as supported, then I think 1 Star is a fair score. Of course this includes the person actually coming back and revise the score once the bug is fixed.

10. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    This is my mobile GotY. Run after run after run. I cannot put this down. In my opinion, this is the best card battler on the App Store, hands down.

just got my first standard run win with the iron clad the other day.... what an absolute monster of a character when built right. I’ve yet to attempt a deck that takes advantage of all his exhaust cards. I won with strength deck that had me hitting for 40-50+ damage on standard strikes. I would recommend this to anyone that likes card battlers and I have a feeling it will only get better with time.

10/10, warts and all. This is gonna sit right next to Binding of Isaac and Dead Cells as the few permanent fixtures on my phone.

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  11. allsopj84

allsopj84 Active Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Male
    If you delete this game and reinstall do you start from the beginning with all the tutorial
    instructions and tips?

12. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I’m new to the game and have been waiting to get it on iOS since it’s mainly where I game today. How is it on the iPhone based on size and any issues understanding the cards as newbies? Also any issues with selecting the right card? I’ve heard a variety of concerns being raised.

13. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This is what it looks like on my phone. You just tap the name of the card to bring it up and read it. If you want to use it, drag it into the play area. If not, swipe it back into place. I don’t have any problems whatsoever. Everything runs smoothly, the game is complete with no IAP, and the gameplay is incredibly well balanced. I am highly satisfied with my purchase and feel that if the devs continue to refine things they will only be making a great game even better.

[​IMG]

skoptic and imdakine1 like this.
  14. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes as this game currently does not support cloud saves. Update is coming though

15. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Awesome. So any issue with a card having more text and getting cut off? Otherwise this looks fine. So tap and it comes up and swipe down if don’t want to use... also can your scroll right and left since it looks like a lot of cards in a hand. Again total newbie...

16. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Suprised how well this game runs even on an old SE.

17. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I haven’t experienced any issues with text getting cut off on a card. Also, there isn’t any left and right scrolling but as you can see here a larger hand of cards fans out nicely.[​IMG]

18. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, I now understand why there is a hold to confirm option.

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've had that issue quite often. Basically it's some weird glitch (?) where tapping the card doesn't bring it up all the way. It'll only bring up the card half way and the bottom half of the text is cut off. So you have to keep tapping the card up and down until the bottom part shows, or drag it up, but then you have to be careful not to accidentally play the card. Such a good game with one of the worst card game touch UI I can think of. Another user mentioned to try tapping the card in the top middle but it doesn't always work for me for some reason.

Honestly, this is probably the biggest issue for me (I'm losing hope in a complete UI overhaul). If they fixed this one issue, the game would be 50% more playable for me. Every time this glitch occurs, it ruins the seamless gameplay because you just end up constantly tapping the same card over and over. And it doesn't help with the iPhone X home bar covering up part of the text making it harder to quickly read the cards. Memorizing the cards doesn't help much since the cards will have unique damage calculations on them that you need to see.

Rocco SE and imdakine1 like this.
  20. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your feedback. You are someone I have seen on many forums and I trust as you have been quite open about what works and doesn’t work for games.

I’ve still held out as I don’t have a lot of time to game but I also really wanted this game on iOS but was disappointed to hear about the UI issues. I recall the tap the middle comment which sounded like a very reasonable solution but it not working 100% or the time seems to be a problem.

I’m hoping to hear some improvement to the UI so it works better or maybe something to make sure we don’t choose a card by mistake which I hear can be an issue as well.

For a total newbie these things matter which makes me hold out a bit more....