Universal Slay the Spire (by MegaCrit & Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #181 Jstorm, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Well, I could t figure out how to delete my message. Thanks ste86uk

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Jstorm likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So I won for the first time. On my 5th attempt overall - with Ironclad. Took me almost 3 hours (2:55) but it's not a sprint, right? (for all you speed runners out there, it was a rhetorical question:D). Anyway, I unlocked Ascension mode, but where do I find it? Is it the 3rd one (custom)? I'm just curious - I don't even know what it is exactly. I should try the 2nd character before that anyway, I guess.

4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Upon starting a run, there should be a triangle on the bottom of the screen that lets you choose the ascension level.

5. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Thanks for the tips.

I think I went shopping too early too often.
    I try to avoid combat in Act 1 too much
    I should potions more often
    I do not put emphasis on defence enough, especially after Act 2 onward.

Further questions: how would you do the discard, do you discard all the Strike cards that come from the start? And the Defend cards too? Also, do you upgrade them?

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I take it this game doesn’t look rage quits? I just died on the final boss and closed the game, when I come back to it after it a bit it appears I haven’t unlocked anything and the highest score for that character hasn’t changed even though I know that’s the furthest I’ve gotten with him? Does it just not give you anything at all?

7. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    4th win. First win with The Ironclad on standard mode. Finally!! Took like 3 attempts. Weirdly, I had won on my first attempt with him during a daily run. But standard took a while.

Some relics do completely change the way you play. Like I got one where you no longer discard cards in your hand when you end your turn. Was a complete gamechanger.

Now the only character I haven’t registered a win yet with is The Defector. Somehow I find the orbs management a bit too complicated and without the right cards at the right time, out of my control. Even it’s overall damage output is relatively low for me when compared to others.

One thing I love about this game is that sometimes you start a run and after a few rounds, you tend to get a feeling that this ain’t gonna be a good run. But as you still push through, all of a sudden, a few good relics and cards completely turn the run around and you become unstoppable.

Attached Files:

andsoitgoes likes this.
  8. Chamomile

Chamomile Member

Mar 5, 2019
    The crash start to get annoying now.

Three times happen on boss fight act 3,and it always happen on last hit to the boss.

when i start the game again,i must fight it from the beginning.

9. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Patch for crashes released

Alex DeLargest and ste86uk like this.
  10. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Finally, the very first win using the Defect. Stockpile a lot of block and energy. Still trying to beat the game with the rest.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. I went back in but decided to avoid playing the Watcher since I didn't want to get frustrated for now. I'll come back one day but it bothers me that she's the only one I can't win with.

I think I have most issues with a combination of those things. Even with the way to exit out, I just don't have much energy left when I'm all out of miracles. So it feels like I'm taking a huge beating while waiting for the perfect card formations. Even when I go into rage it costs me 1-2 energy, then I can do 1 or 2 attacks, then I'm out and I have to exit as soon as possible since most enemies attack more than they don't and block doesn't help much with rage on. It just feels like it's not even worth it if I can only do a 1 or 2 attacks and then risk getting instakilled the next turn taking 30-50 damage unblocked or something.

When I don't have rage I'm not getting much damage in, then when I do have rage I don't have a way out of it / take too much damage. I always get stuck in some kind of dilemma.

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    The cards seem a bit easier to handle this update.

Talbs likes this.
  13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You know what, I think you’re right. I’ve always played mostly with the tap to select card technique and that’s led me to often need to kind of double select the card because it would pop up and then back down first attempt but be right for the second tap.
    No such issue now after the update (I updated as soon as I saw your post). Cards can be selected much easier now. You just have to select them (tap) in their top centre and they will pop up to the right height for reading.

still finicky when you have the full limit of cards in hand (I think it’s 10), but nonetheless this is wayyy better.

PBSNellie likes this.
  14. Arthurbodhi

Arthurbodhi Active Member

May 28, 2018
    Male
    Are appearing 1 Star reports in the AppStore that the new update is causing crash at the start specially on iPad, could any here confirm this?

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    No crashes at all on ipad. Never had crashes pre update and still none. Thank goodness. I can’t stop playing this game. First time I have played this game (for past 3 days) and cannot stop!

16. mastery51

mastery51 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I am Still encountering crashes on iPad mini 4 on start up. Can’t get past the splash screen art of the tower. Did all trouble shooting tricks still won’t open.

I heard some say login out of Game Center helps for a bit but starts crashing again a bit later.

17. Arthurbodhi

Arthurbodhi Active Member

May 28, 2018
    Male
    Thanks for the report. To clarify the crash on the the splash screen started with the last update or happened before?

18. mastery51

mastery51 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    When the game first released I was able to play for a bit, but after awhile Of playing I eventually took a lengthy break to do other things on my device. The game was running in the background. When I clicked open the game to play again the app had to do its usual start up. After that, the splash screen crash started to happen. I couldn’t play. So I waited for an update.

Now that the most recent update came out I tried to play but I can’t seem to open it at all . I reinstalled the game but still nothing.

Arthurbodhi likes this.
  19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What device and iOS version?

20. GoneFishin

GoneFishin Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    #200 GoneFishin, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    My iPad Mini 4 also could not get past the initial splash screen and none of the usual remedies worked. As a last resort I updated iPad OS to version 13.5.1 and this seems to have solved the problem. Please note that I have not tried playing Spire yet so further crashes may still await me. But at least I got past the splash screen—it’s a start.

This problem may be specific to the Mini 4 as I tried installing Spire to my iPhone SE (1st gen) and to my 12” iPad Pro, both running iOS 13.4.1. It ran fine on both but not on the Mini 4 with 13.4.1