Universal Slashy Hero (by Kongregate)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 28, 2015.

1. panfried

panfried Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Just beat the game, it was shorter than I expected but fun the whole way thru.
    Not sure if this was asked before but what does the boot stat do? Something to do with speed?
    Keep up the great work and hope to see an update with more content!

2. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Nice game. Rpg elements rb the best

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Slashy Hero......and My 2 Cents;

(Sorry. I'll get back to the "My 2 Cents" videos soon. Just practicing on my writing a little.)

“Dead Monster Leave Candy When They Die”

Slashy Hero: By The Gentlebros/Kongregate

Halloween is finally over, but I still have an iPhone full of Halloween themed games and spooky updates and you know what? I’m perfectly fine with that. Like I said before, I love me some Halloween games.

So, lately I’ve been playing this game called Slashy Hero by The Gentlebros. It’s a hack & slash game at heart, but with a pinch of roguelike and teaspoon of RPG. Mix it all up and you have Slashy Hero.

Per usual, I won’t get into the story. There’s really not much to it in this game, but I’ll leave it for the players to experience. I really didn’t find the need to have a long story in this game anyway. It’s the rest of the game that got me.

The object is simple. Hack and slash your way through 48 dungeons, fighting all kinds of different Halloween themed monsters and bosses. There are checkpoints every so often along your way. What I like is that you have your option on how you play the game. You can play it like a level based game and reach your checkpoints and once you die (and die you will), you can upgrade your character and start back at the last checkpoint you passed. There’s also what I like to call the “roguelike option” where you can get as far as you can, die, upgrade your character, and start over at the beginning again and see how far you can get each time. It’s a really cool idea. There is also an “Endless Mode” where you fight wave after wave of enemies, so the replayability factor is pretty high.

You move your character by holding your thumb wherever you want him to move and he will kind of follow your thumb around like a little lost puppy. Then when it’s time to fight, you trace a line through the enemies (kind of like a line drawing game) and your guy will “slash” through the monsters. Some enemies take only one slash to die while others take multiple times. With the line drawing mechanic, you can come up with some pretty cool combos.

Dead monsters leave “candy” when they die.
You use your blood candy to upgrade your character after you perish. You can upgrade attack, health and speed. You can also collect different outfits and weapons that are found in treasure chests and left from your fallen enemies. These are all upgradable also. Duplicate items can also be stacked and get stronger.

Slashy Hero will definitely stay on my device well after the Halloween season. I still have quite a few dungeons to go and then there’s always the Endless Mode to keep me busy. The Gentlebros did a great job with this one. Between the fun and challenging gameplay and beautiful cartoon looking artwork, I’ll be playing this one well into the future.

4. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Yes, the boot stat controls speed. The higher the speed stat, the faster your character walks. It's invaluable for outrunning those faster enemies so you can get to a better position to slash them. :)

5. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thanks NOEN for the wonderful review! :)

We're super happy you're enjoying the game. We're also currently working on 20 more levels that should be done soon, and also a new game mode that we think people will really enjoy.

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #46 Qwertz555, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Looking very forward, thanks.

I also beat the final boss, but not from the beginning. I used the "last beaten stage portal". Endless mode keeps me coming back. The line drawing mechanic is very satisfying. Now i'm working on getting more power to beat those purple monsters in one slash, and right after to get more boots to outrun those fast white ghosts and lure them into the spikes.
    I'm wondering if there would come another new enemy after that shooting skull. I never survived those stages. Who does without investing lots of diamonds for coninues...BUT, without gaming skills, you won't come much further anyways. That's why i like this game so much and don't really care too much about an unfair f2p/pay to win leaderboard. Besides that usual bored and stupid leader and maybe the 2nd one, it looks not hacked and i'm still in 8th place with one video-revive.

One very annoying (for me) thing;
    the new-object-bar obscures the battle field.

Thanks for the non-ads iap.

7. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thank you! :) Glad you like it! Yep, once you can beat those purple ghosts in one hit, you're going to have a much easier time!

And we hear you about the new-object-bar, look forward to a potential fix for that in the coming updates. :) We're thinking of reducing the time it stays on screen so it only obscures the battlefield for a short while.

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=274255][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274347][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274304][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274467][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274328][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274330][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274263][​IMG][/thread] [thread=274149][​IMG][/thread]

Slashy Hero

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

Oct 29th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

9. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Hope it does not come over to harsh, my dear Devs, but to obscure a screen, no matter the time, is simply a very, very bad design idea, imho.

10. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Noted. :)

We'll see if we can improve it somehow, sorry for the problems its causing.

11. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    My game of the week for sure! Any chance on it getting icloud? I'd love to continue my progress on my ipad.

12. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Yes, in fact iCloud is on our to-do-lists. Expect iCloud functionality in future updates. :)

13. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Just a little costume guide from us

[​IMG]

14. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I find the game too difficult and stats too expensive thus too grindy. Nice idea but controls are too imprecise for the the difficulty. Later enemies hit with like 6 damage when you only have 10 life. And healing is way too rare to make any real progress. Guess they depend on the IAP crystals and that just rubs me the wrong way - pay to win. Even buying the no ads IAP does jack for it. Too many good games out now to bother. Good try devs but better luck next time.

15. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear that. :(

Well, we really tried to balance the game so its completely beatable without gems. You can try to level up your health, or wear costumes with high health upgrades if you feel your starting health is too little. To be completely transparent, all players start with 30 HP, and the enemies do 5 dmg.

With regards to the slashing, a useful tip would be to draw U-shaped slashes, so you can attack and run away at the same time. The slashing is also dependent on the line you draw. If the line crosses a spike, or touches an enemy, you definitely hit those things.

The Ad removal only removes the full screen ads at the end of every session, while the rewarded videos are still there for people who want the extra boost.

Again, we are sorry to hear you don't enjoy our game.

16. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    There's so much to like here. The graphics are bright and cheerful, the controls are great, and I love the various costume sets.

And yet...

I just completed the checkpoint at level 36, but it took me the best part of an hour. I'm not inclined to keep playing just to see the next three levels over and over. Give this a decent save system (not once every eight levels or whatever it is) and I wouldn't mind the difficulty so much, but steep difficulty curve + infrequent saves + hey, you can buy some of these nice shiny crystals to continue! means I think I'm done.

Oh, how I long for devs who'll charge me $3 (or $5 or whatever) and give me an actual good game.

17. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thanks for the feedback. :)

We have good news for you though! The latest update just got approved and it includes:
    - More frequent checkpoints. Now the max number of levels between checkpoints is only four to five.
    - Reduced sweet cost to level up.
    - A Free Gentlebros costume available in the Shop.
    - Increased Free Sweets available in the Shop. Each time now gives you enough to level up.
    - Numerous bug fixes and optimizations
    - A checkpoint selector so you can choose which checkpoint to start at. :)

You can grab the update now! :D

We understand some players were having trouble completing the game(especially level 30 and above), so we decided to make the tweaks. It was never our intention to force players to buy gems, but to be honest, we hope people would watch ads, as that is our main source of income.

Hopefully, the changes help you enjoy the game better, and thank you for bearing with us. :)

18. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    #58 Qwertz555, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Always a difficult matter - the difficulty of a game. Each to his own, but i find it perfectly balanced.

Also imho, the controls work very responsive AND precise.
    Edit: played a word puzzle with a stylus and changed to Slashy. Ever since i'm using it in this game.

About damage and healing...i take it as it is, but i understand your point.

I never will buy diamonds (bought ads-free and watched some videos), but i'm currently 19th on the leaderboard (with one video revive). Yep, some folks in front of me paid to win, i guess. (I have no idea how many revives are possible)

@Devs
    Thanks for the update. The game stays now in the multitask bar and isn't gone after five minutes. I don't really need it anymore (played a lot), but the 18k diamonds every two hours is very generous.

I really wish it works out for you, because i'd like to see more new levels. At least, please, add a few more different ones in survival mode.

Edit: accidently i found a bug, a cheating life bug. My new highscore with 80400 waves isn't real...i simply couldn't stop with this satisfying slashing, lol.
    I PM'd the Devs about this. Btw, i let myself kill, it got boring.

19. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    New iOS update!

The iOS update is finally live! The update contains:
    - 24 more levels! Comes with an interesting new mechanic.
    - 1 new boss fight!
    - 5 new costumes!
    - 6 more Infinity levels!
    - Bug fixes and optimizations.
    - Equipment cap
    We are hard at work on the Xmas release and have just sent it in for QA! If nothing goes wrong, we can start sending that in soon for approval. grin emoticon
    Have fun, and don't forget to share the game with your friends!

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Thank you for all the updates. Love the game and you guys are a great dev team. Any idea when iCloud saves will be implemented? I had to do a hard reset and I lost all my progress. It's my own fault for some reason I thought this game already had it so I didn't worry about it lol.

Billy