Universal SlamBots - (by Retro Dreamer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    If you are on the fence for this one, try Happy P's Revenge. It's a free game from the same devs that is almost identical.

If you think $1.99 is worth removing ads, adding chiptunes, and swapping out cute flies and pudding with pixel art robots and ninjas, pick up SlamBots.

Admittedly, SlamBots has a tiny bit more depth (slam ability, upgradable power-ups, multiple levels).

Overall, I think the game is overpriced and the IAP is even moreso. The core gameplay is fun but the game is extremely shallow. I wish the devs had taken everything from Happy P's Revenge and expanded it into a content-rich game instead of what amounts to mostly just a reskin.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks xx99, will check that other game first :)

3. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    The new levels as well as the slam ability (which makes a huge difference) really do add a lot to the game. This isn't meant to be a "content rich" game, it's meant to be a super-polished, high-skilled game, and I think it succeeds at that.

4. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Thing is that I tried the game xx99 said and it didnt do much for me, so I will wishlist and wait for the lite version to judge it better, and believe me I wont forget :)

Also found out RetroGamer had so many games, only though it had Sneezies, Linkoidz, Duckerz and Velocispider (second and last I own)

5. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I agree with Matt, this game is less about content and more about skill based high-scoring. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Can't praise it enough.

6. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    The core gameplay is pretty good but the game naturally splits into coin collecting and high score chasing – and there's a lot more coin collecting which is a shame because it's much less fun. The titular slam ability does nothing to help you gather more coins and death is not a punishment at all.

Coins come at such a slow rate that the game inevitably becomes a huge grind if you want a serious shot at the leaderboards. I worry that most gamers will stop playing the game before they switch over to score-chasing, which is more fun.

It kinda just feels like a bummer that Retro Dreamers did so little to expand on the fun gameplay of Happy P's Revenge. Minor tweaks could make a big difference. For instance, if the slam attack doubled coins as well as points, it would add a lot to the challenge and fun of coin collecting.

7. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    That's not really true though. Your rate of picking up coins increases dramatically the longer you last in a game, because then there are way more enemies, and those enemies have more states (helmet -> wings -> body) for you to hit.

Also, I have the number one score with around 235k using the Dark Knight, and I can beat the second place score (~100k) with no purchases at all (last time I tried I got 135k), so the idea that you need to buy IAP to compete is kinda silly.

The only thing I've purchased is the coin doubler, but that was mostly because I wanted to support the devs. I've played the game for 3-4 hours and I've already earned enough coins to buy the Dark Knight 4-5 times (and it's the only purchase you really need).

8. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    #28 Vingdoloras, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    Speaking of the ad supported free version, start the game, press the home button during a match, and start the App back up. There will be a pause screen so you can continue where you left, which is nice, but that pause screen is different from the pause screen you get when just pressing a pause button, and it contains a nonfunctional "Remove Ads" button (nonfunctional because it doesnt prompt any IAP purchase when clicking it, and the app doesn't actually have any Ads in it). Oups :p

EDIT: Oh, I have skullpogo as well, can't remember when I bought it, I have no memory or ever playing it. Scary.
    EDIT²: Openfeint... Ah, the nostalgia

Oh, and... Can we get the music from the game somewhere?

9. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Picked this up after reading the positive feedback. Are there any instructions how to play and what the power ups do? I keep jumping around and after about 30 seconds I get killed because I have no idea what to do. Sorry to be such meganoob.

10. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #30 ElectricGrandpa, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Key thing is to try to get combos (which you get by hopping on as many guys heads in a row as you can).

When you hold the screen, you'll "slam" which means you fall faster and you get double points when you hit an enemy. Slamming uses your "slam meter" which recharges over time. You can also use slamming to keep you from bouncing too high (like up into any enemy).

--Powerups--
    Batteries: give you unlimited slam for a short time
    Cherries: makes you invincible for a short time
    Freeze: freezes enemies so they can't hurt you
    Coin: makes a ton of coins fall from the sky
    Shield: must be unlocked, gives you an extra life

--Other platform things--
    Crumble platform: if you touch it, it'll crumble away
    Fire hazard: if you touch it, you die
    Jump platform: launches you into the air and gives you temporary invincibility while going upward. Very important: it also continues your combo.

Tips:

- for coins and the store, get a few of the very cheap powerup upgrades, and then save up for the dark knight (10k coins) which gives you an extra life every game, all of the other power ups are "nice to haves".

- stay as high up the screen as you can at all times. if you're on the ground, get back up high as fast as you can, or else you're just asking for trouble.

- don't use jump platforms right when they appear. They won't go away unless you use them, so a platform that's a jump platform won't turn into a fire platform (which means less hazards to deal with).

- if you can, keep jump platforms around and use them as "escapes" for when you want to continue a combo but things are looking dicey.

- powerups will also prevent fire from spawning on a platform, and there's just enough space beside powerups that you don't need to get them in order to hop on their platform, which means you can keep them around for a while until you need them (especially the shield powerup)

- if you slam an enemy, you won't bounce up as high, so this is a key risk/reward maneuver in certain situations

- practice the rhythm of slamming right before you hit a baddie, so you use as little slam power as possible while still getting double points

- get a feel for where the baddie hit areas are because they're pretty generous. If you're moving upwards you can usually kill baddies when approaching from the side+below (kinda hard to explain).

- learn the basic movements of the enemies: each colour (orange/red/purple) has different movement patterns

- red enemies are born out of orange enemies that get bored hanging out on the ground. if you can help it, don't let red enemies EVER get all the way up the screen, because they come back down FAST and will kill you unless you're keeping track of them. if they're below you, get directly above them so you can kill em on the way up

I think that's a good starting place for now! There are a bunch more subtle things you can do, but once you get the fundamentals down, that stuff will come naturally :D

11. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #31 TheFrost, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Cant seem to set my mind ln this one, half of me wants its, but the other half is burnt on IAPs.

12. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, it was fixed in the 1.0.1 update, we'd hoped that would be approved before launch.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, even with a $1.99 app there are banner ads?

14. GavinBowman

No. The button didn't do anything, and there weren't any ads.

We're working on an ad-supported free version, I screwed up on one of the buttons.

We wouldn't want to put ads in something someone had paid for.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Phew, that sounded a bit too sleazy. :)

16. GavinBowman

Yeah, I understand why it happens sometimes, but we've always tried to draw a clear line between ad-supported & not, I know how I'd feel as a consumer, and we appreciate the support of everyone who buys our paid versions.

17. LiamFlookes

LiamFlookes New Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I gave this a try because a friend recommended it and have had a lot of fun. Takes a little bit to get used to the controls (I find it much easier to control on an iPad mini for what it's worth!) but once you get into a bit of a groove it's fun to try to beat friend's high scores. Reminds me a lot of Velocispider, which is also a fun one to try if you like this! I like the old school music although I had it get muted completely (but SFX still worked...) for a while, I had to restart the app to bring it back.

My strategy is to 'farm' the flying red enemies by not killing walking enemies so they'll all turn into the flying red guys. I like the flying red guys as they're pretty predictable as far as flying up and you can build up big combos just by staying high and in the middle. It's kind of a high risk play though as if you do happen to fall down to the bottom it can be tricky getting back out of the pit... :) I also try to always get the coin star with every jump powerup on the high platforms, the score bonus goes up pretty fast for getting them consecutively. I'm Endogenous on gamecenter, #5, #1, #1 for the three levels respectively, so it seems to be a decent strategy! Haven't yet used any IAP for what that's worth too!

18. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    What's the difference between the free and the full version besides the ads?
    I'm playing the free version over the last 30 minutes and it's much better then expected. What bothers me is the IAP. The first upgrade at 150/250 seems okay but the second upgrade is 750 and the later upgrades will be a big grind. Also it's always the same background and I have to buy the other ones for 2.000/5.000coins. Are these 2 backgrounds included in the full version?

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #40 TheFrost, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    I am holding on my post until I see SOS post answered... Specially that last question.