SkyCoaster 3d

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Rohan Dalal, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I bought it--very cool. Well worth a buck (I paid for it by giving up a pizza topping). It takes its place along side my other 3D toys: Mach Dice and X-Plane.

The screaming is awesome: the icon and the sound both crack me up.

The overhead/hanging toggle and other flexibility are neat--it's a pretty full-featured app even before the editor is added.

One weird but very minor thing: the app plays upside down compared to the built-in YouTube app. Several other games do that too. I've never been sure why. Doesn't matter of course.

Performance is good. I recommend high-quality off (can't tell anyway), and the modern-with-slats track style (runs faster than wooden, it seems) and a track length less than max. (Half is still a really long track.)

2. ziconic

ziconic Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Yep. There will be a [+] button on the top left hand corner on the Saved Tracks tab (will be renamed to "My Tracks") for that. :)

Re: making it a SlotZ Racer-type game, it may have to be a separate app using the same engine. Will the new track editor, the app is getting really complicated to use with all the tabs and buttons and controls. So much for the "tap here to entertain me" approach that we started out with. :)

3. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    I d/l this app yesterday...pretty cool :).

I really love the scenic views...very cool.

Look forward to future updates :).

4. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    SkyCoaster 3D

This is a great idea! What you could add is to turn your iPod right if you need to make a right turn, and left if you need to make a left turn. Will you do the opposite, you'll crash of the track;)! But if you want to play this in bed, please make an option to do only the accelerate game option:)?
    These are just idea's!

Ok, that's strange. It really needs an option for both sides, since the iPod has another mic entrance (upsidedown) than the iPhone!

Well, yes! What do you mean with your last sentence?:confused:

Thanks,

TheOnePb

5. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Yep - that's the reason why SkyCoaster doesn't use the accelerometer in any way. You should be able to enjoy SkyCoaster regardless of your body position! :)

As for the "tap here to entertain me" comment, in SkyCoaster v1.0, all you could do (apart from adjusting the sliders) was push a button and watch what to some people looked like a roller coaster video. Now we're adding more interactivity and even a track editor, so the nature of the app has definitely changed. ;)

6. freckles383

freckles383 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I would totally buy this if it was like Roller Coaster Tycoon, but at .99 I just might have to try it anyway.

7. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    v2.0 has been sent to Apple for approval! Should be out middle of next week.

We'll continue to test it for bugs, so we may have to pull the build and resubmit if we find anything. Fingers crossed!

8. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    This is the crappiest app I've ever tried.
    This app is full of crap.
    This app IS crap.

;) :D That's all I got. :bows: Thank you. Thank you very much.

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    So what do you think of the app? :) j/k

10. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well right now there's not much to do. But I've been reading this thread with interest and once you implement changes like an editor, it's going to be a really great app :)

And the only one that really looks like crap is the brown one. The other ones look like ice cream.

11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Huh? I think you're confusing this thread with the one for SoftServe :)

12. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Ooops :eek:

Disregard all shitty comments :D

13. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Ha! Too funny.

Btw I just noticed that Apple recently updated the App Store app in such a way that it shows the average rating + number of reviews for the current app version only. Absolutely love it!! When SkyCoaster 2.0 goes out, I expect to see far fewer 1-star ratings from haters who ding us simply because we don't have a track editor. :)

14. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    yep! and we ll be sure to submit a new review for 2.0

15. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Hope the price stays at $1 until tomorrow. That's when i'm getting it. :)

16. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Track editor

Yay! Track editor!:D
    Can't wait for the update!

17. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds
    wait so the next update is a track editor? YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!:D

18. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Yes indeed. :)

And I'm sure you guys will start trying to spell all sorts of rude words and draw dirty pictures with the track....

19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Can we do that :rolleyes:

20. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Do you mean can as in it's technically possible (yes) or allowed by Apple's iTunes app store agreement (I suppose so - but you never know)? :)

It's a bit hard to explain how the track editor works -- it's easier to just play with it. Basically you build a track by adding/deleting segments. You can tweak each segment individually (length, height change, turning angle, spiral, corkscrew, do a loop), and all the segments are automatically connected together and smoothed out. The last segment is also smoothly connected back to the first segment, so you don't have to worry too much about how to finish the track you started. The 3D track preview window is quite nice (it's similar to the SoftServe interface :D) - you can rotate and zoom around your track as you are building it. And of course you can preview your track by riding it at any time.