SkyCoaster 3d

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Rohan Dalal, Feb 13, 2009.

1. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    +1 to both these awesome ideas! Keep the crazy physics, but add the "clank" "clank" sounds :D

2. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Its a pity that apps can't access the iPod library because it would be so cool if you could pick a song, have it analyze it and then make a track that syncs with the music!

3. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    I bought this app yesterday

and i am quite impressed by the physics behind this...

i bought because of the promotional offer, which also says it will update so i am hoping that the app will update quite abit just like Pocket God

If you have ever played the wings app, its very similar but instead of using the accelerometer, you just sit there and watch, which can be kind of boring

so i give it 3/5

POSITIVE: Great Graphics, lots of scenes too choose from, randomizes tracks

NEGATIVE: Quite boring after a while, needs more updates

4. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    SkyCoaster

Hi,

I'm going to pick this up soon:D! I have some suggestions already:
    • As said before: a wooden track, not that dangerous;), with sounds:)?
    • Ripple the water
    • Fly (almost) into tree's, next to, true the leafs
    • What you're saying about drawing your course, why have a startplace. You do not move. If you draw with your finger, you draw the track in front of you. Sharp curves, loopings will be a problem, ok, but this should be a nice way to make a track:)?

I really really really need to get iTunes credits:(!

Thanks,

TheOnePb

Hell yea!

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Retired :-)
    England
    Great app, bought it last night and I've run it several times experimenting with the sliders and backgrounds.

I agree with others that coaster sounds rather than music would enhance the experience, possibly with muted screams at the top of a drop :D

The lack of movement in the background picture also detracts from the realism especially when using "Sacred Pools" where the 2 waterfalls would add greatly to the effect if animated.

Is it planned to 'save settings on exit'? It would be nice to be able to restart where you left off.

ChrisH

6. ziconic

ziconic Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Hey guys,

We just submitted v1.1 to Apple for review! Hopefully it will be out by Feb 23 (fingers crossed).
    http://www.ziconic.com/v1.1_helpscreen.png

v1.1 is all about making SkyCoaster even more barf-tastic:

* Improved track detail - Turn on the links between the rails for a heightened sensation of speed. Or turn them off if you prefer our original futuristic look.

* Switch between conventional mode and suspension mode, where you hang just beneath the roller coaster track!
    http://www.ziconic.com/v1.1_suspension.png

* Drag your finger across the screen to look around you at any time during the ride. Try riding the roller coaster with your back facing forward! (Double tap to face forward again.)

* Change the theme at any point during the ride by tapping a button.

* New Deep Space theme.
    http://www.ziconic.com/v1.1_spacetheme.png

** Coming up in Version 1.2 - Sound effects! **

The feedback you guys have given us has been extremely valuable, so please keep it coming. We are actively listening to your requests and prioritizing them. As you can imagine, some features will need much more engineering work than others, so we need to figure out what the trade-offs are. (Some are simply not possible on iPhone/iPod touch hardware today :p ) Again thanks so much for your support!!

7. xactionx59

xactionx59 New Member

Thanks you ziconic for you message on my blog (I think it's you).
    My friends really love your application!

I'm ready for your new version 1.1!! :D

My suggestions: Sound effects (in version 1.2 you said), and maybe a little display of speed (MPH and KM/H)?

Bye!

8. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I cannot wait for version 1.1, the new space theme looks great (My favourite is Death Valley)

I play this game at least once everyday because its very realistic and the sliders are great!

Suggestions:
    1) Have an official Menu (its not great just starting at the sliders, its boring so have a menu or something like an intro)
    2) Temple Theme (New Theme)
    3) Make sure in version 1.2 that the sound effects can be turned on and off if optional

I love the soundtrack to this game its great

5/5 Ziconic

-Lukearcade22

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Lukearcade22 has some great ideas. I think you should have a quick title animation with the title SkyCoaster 3D zooming around like it were on a track (oh the irony :) ), and have it finally settle in the middle of the screen. Then it could slide up to the top and you could show the options. But then, I say this having no programming experience on the iPhone :rolleyes:

10. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Thanks PointOfLight :)

I have many theme ideas, i shall put them in order of greatness and my reason why:

1) Mountains (We have a desert, Ocean, Jungle, but no mountains!)
    2) Temples (A nice little idea that could work really well)
    3) Tundra (SNOW! Everyone loves snow so this could be a great theme to choose)
    4) Canyon (A nice rocky theme!)
    5) Volcano (A fiery hot theme that could be a good hit!)

These are just suggestions Ziconic, i am just happy to help! :)

11. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow! That all sounds awesome :D

Looking forward to the update! Keep up the great coding :)

12. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    I'm looking forward to v1.1 too. :) It's frustrating for us small-time developers that Apple makes us wait a week after we finish a release before you guys get to play with it.

Btw we just discovered that we have quite a following in Japan too. We are now the #1 paid app in the entertainment category in the Japan app store (#4 overall)!!

13. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Thats great to here

if you need any help or suggestions, just PM me or e-mail

I m happy to help :)

14. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Ok folks...we are in the process of assembling some sound effects for SkyCoaster 1.2.

If you want your screams to be included in the scream track, send an mp3 of your most outrageous screams to [email protected] and we'll try to blend it in. :)

15. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Sweet! I'm not going to contribute, because my utterances sound terrible when recorded, but a scream track is an awesome addition! Now you just need to create an adapter to hook the iPhone up to a chair and cause it to vibrate so you can really get some people to blow chunks!

16. chedita

chedita Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Professional ipod gamer
    where you live
    I agree with wind blowing at you making it feel much more realistic. Anywas I bought the app a few days ago and i'm loving it keep up the good work ziconic.

17. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Great News

V1.1 is out and ready to update

so everyone better get updating because it is brillaint

The new deep space theme is brillaint (Try riding it with the camera backwards!)

Ziconic, you have done your self proud, this is in the top 25 apps in the UK

Sky Coaster and Pocket God have come so far

i love it, thanks for your hard work

what are you planning for the next update?

I recommend changing the icon, so that it shows some gameplay

Possibly the roller coaster turning in Ocean Sunset, so that it shows off the graphics

great work, oh how i wish i could join you :D

18. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    @Lukearcade22: Ha ha you beat me to the announcement! :) :) Good suggestion re: the icon. I'll definitely experiment.

So, yes, Apple approved v1.1. this morning! Please update and give us your feedback! Feel free to modify the rating you've given us in the app store if appropriate. :D

We are in the midst of planning 1.2. Sound effects, more themes and even a Japanese version are confirmed. The final release date will depend on how many features we eventually decide to ship in 1.2. We'll keep y'all posted.

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Have a look at No Limits Rollercoaster (I think there is a free demo version) for Mac and Win if you want to know what a sim can do. Graphically, soundwise, editor, community and so on. It's the ultimate one. Get the fantasy coaster "Cold Fusion" (one of the downloadable tracks if you are a member) if you have a good graphic chip.

[​IMG]

20. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I remember having No Limits RollerCoaster

i used to love it :)

But we don't want to copy any of the tracks on No Limits Coaster, because Ziconic is able enough to do his own tracks

but maybe using some of the design off of No Limits could be good, or just getting ideas is even better :)

For v1.2:
    1) Add Vertical Drops (it creates more tense roller coaster rides)
    2) Change Icon
    3) Change the menu (it looks kind of 'scruffy', make the handwriting look more professional)

Just a few little ideas :)