Universal Sky Tourist - (by Alexander Lading) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm pretty sure some devs get around it with obscure technical requirements to rule out older devices (e.g. This game requires a compass).

2. 3leggedegg

3leggedegg Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    update on the update

Hi guys!

Apple told us that there's no way to restrict particular devices for an existing app, but they suggested we should raise the minimum iOS requirements which excludes a few devices in itself. Actually iOS6 would only exclude the iPad 1.
    So we don't think that that's a good solution to our problem.
    But we are working on a performance update and hopefully in about a week we can present a way smoother experience to many of you!

By the way would you please help us with a few more votes in the Game of the Week poll? : )

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Is the 'All Coins' leaderboard designed to show the most coins held at one time? I had expected it to show the total number of coins collected. It seems odd to have a leaderboard which penalises you for spending the in game currency at shops and on unlockables.

4. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    what do you do with the coins collected? Buy upgrades and costumes?

5. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #105 BrettArchibald, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    There's one aspect of this game that I don't quite get and it's really bugging me!
    When trying to earn the "Don't Die" star, if I do die whilst playing a level, I hit pause, then I restart the level, to start all over again. However, when I then play the level without dying, I still don't earn my "Don't Die" star!
    What's up with that? :confused:
    It seems I only earn that star if I don't die when playing that level for the first time...?
    Surely hitting pause and restarting the level over from the beginning should allow me to earn this star?

6. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #106 Matt33, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    You'll notice that if you hit the restart button after passing a checkpoint, you'll only restart from the latest checkpoint and not the start of the level, so it isn't really a restart level button. In the current build, the start of the level acts like a checkpoint instead of trying the level again from scratch, so restarting will not earn you the star. This was an oversight and will be fixed in the next update. For now, after dying on a level, you must exit to level selection and load the level up again fresh to get the no death star. Annoying, but I've done them all that way :)

7. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Aah right, OK, that makes sense, in an odd sort of way. Thanks for the response.
    I knew about restarting from a checkpoint halfway up the level, but I wouldn't have guessed that the start point would be considered a "checkpoint".

8. 3leggedegg

Apr 24, 2013
    There's also a shorter workaround for this (till we fix it soon!): Yes, Matt is right with the restart button on the HUD. But! He too overlooked the other restart button in the pause menu which starts the whole level again no matter how many checkpoints you reached. And this one DOES reset everything, so after an early death, just restart the level from the pause menu and you are good to go! :)

9. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Really? That should work? In my original post above, that's what I outlined as the process I followed, and even after a clean run, I didn't win the star... :confused:

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Finally finished the last main levels - just the last bonus level to go.

Two feature requests:
    1) A way to see which levels you have still to find the shop in. If you fet to the end of a group of five levels and have misse a shop, it'd be nice if you didn't have to replay all 5 to find it.

2) A 'Sync Achievements' option. I've got at least five, and more likely 7, achievements whuch I've earned but aren't appearing in Game Center.

11. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    There's a list of souvenirs (1-5) on the level select screen. Could be wrong, but I think they actually correspond to the levels. So if all but #4 of the souvenir numbers are lit up, the shop that you missed will be on level 4.

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    No, they correspond to the souvenir, not the level. Learnt that the hard way.

13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think that I've womed out what happened to you. The restart from the pause menu doesn't apear to do a full reset if you hit it after dying and before the game has reset you to a checkpoint. If you wait for the fade out/in to finish before restarting from the pause menu, you'll be fine.

14. 3leggedegg

Apr 24, 2013
    Some Recognition From Apple!

A little update on whats been going on with us:

We worked hard on Sky Tourist and loved every second of it. It was our attempt to make a unique game for everyone, and we hoped you all would enjoy. From the great response we have received from the community so far, we thank you!

Apple has also given us some response and put us in the Benchmark Games section!

[​IMG]

We are proud to be in the Intuitive Controls section of Benchmark games. This should give us some great visibility on the tough iOS market of today! Thanks everyone for all the great responses they've given, it helps us push forward in making new content!

P.S. We got a great announcement coming tomorrow as well so we'll be back with more info soon! :)

Cheers,
    -Three Legged Egg

15. 3leggedegg

Apr 24, 2013
    Sky Tourist is Getting its First Update!

[​IMG]

Sky Tourist is getting an update this Wednesday (Sept. 4th) with new levels! It has been just over a month since the release of Sky Tourist and we’ve been hard at work with new content!

This time Petey is dreaming even higher, to the moon! Come play the 15 new levels on the moon of Plumia. These new levels introduce a shorter play-style that flows beautifully with the gameplay. Be sure to collect the new crystals on each map so you can finish each level with 3 stars!

[​IMG]

There is also a performance improvement with this update, allowing the Sky Tourist to run on the iPod touch 4 and the iPod 2. This should resolve the issues that some players have been experiencing.

We look forward to hearing your feedback about the new levels and performance!

Thanks,
    -Three Legged Egg

16. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Thank you. I've been wanting to try it. It's nice to see developers that care about people who don't have the latest devices.

17. 3leggedegg

Apr 24, 2013
    We are trying our best to attend to everyones needs! We hope this update works with your device. If not, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks!

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Update is live. Have played and completed all the new levels already - they're a nice bonus and shorter than the other levels which makes them well-suited for snatching a few minutes of gameplay on the go.

19. intrepid

intrepid Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Thanks for fixing the restart from first checkpoint don't die star bug. Will get back this game now that fix is in place.

20. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Now FREE for a limited time! Very recommended!