iPad Sky Thunder Free!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by organerito, Feb 13, 2009.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    It looks good. Get it soon.

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Looks good is right. But the controls sucks, making the whole game suck.
    I can't believe I paid the full price for this!
    :mad:

3. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I thought about paying for this game, but I put it off due to complaints about controls. Now I get it for free!

4. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Thanks for the heads up!

5. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice...I also was on the fence. I think the touch controls are nice....I don't know why so many people complain? You can control the ship exactly where you want it.

6. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    downloaded it tried it.. bleh

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    For a second, I though this was a lite version! Anyways, I guess I'll download it and give thoughts.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Have you played rRootage by any chance? It's another free shmup for this platform (actually, ported to this platform).

The touch controls in rRootage are smooth. In Sky Thunder there is a "stutter" of sorts. I think it's a combination of lack of animation frames AND the touch controls not being smoothed out.

The accelerometer controls are useless all around for this game.

I think I paid $0.99 for it. Don't really regret it, mind you. The touch controls, after another update, were not as bad as ChillerONE had led me to believe, but they never became rRootage smooth. Or iForce (another free shmup) smooth. But it's really the only "bullet hell" shmup on this platform and it's not a bad little shmup, control issues aside.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    First Impressions:

Enjoying it at first, but man this game is sooooooo glitchy. Deleted.

10. voldemort

voldemort Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Downloaded.
    Cant wait to try it :D

11. dcescott

dcescott Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Looks like Raiden, I loved that shooter on the TG16.

12. panoptic

panoptic Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    The game has a horrible framerate, compounding the control issues it already has.

Shmups like this really need to be 60fps.

13. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry to hear that this is disappointing.

Anyone try Sentry Alpha that is now on sale for .99?

it has 4 stars with some very strong reviews and i'm prob going to get it later today.

14. MilkRobotics

MilkRobotics Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Graphic Software Development
    Oregon
    a comparison with SpaceX

I missed the free version of Sky Thunder, but bought anyway, ignoring the dismal AppStore reviews.

First off, it is a lot better than SpaceX. More variety in the enemies, plus it has scrolling terrain and bosses.

It is difficult, I would have preferred a slower version of the game as moving the ship by your finger does obscure some of the screen so you do invariably miss a bullet that hits you. I like the fact that one bullet hits you and its over (SpaceX allows you to absorb several shots and dulls the playing experience.)

However, the graphics are ported from some sort of console intended for large screens so the graphics cause weird patterns when viewed on the small screen. This also makes some of the enemies difficult to see. A similar pattern problem is in Nicky Boom.

As far as I can see there are no secondary weapons, which are usually present in these kinds of games.

Not bad.. but folks need to be a little more aware that straight ports are not good enough, some work needs to be done for the graphics and better interaction.

15. Matthew.M.J

Matthew.M.J New Member

Feb 26, 2009
  16. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The update seemed to have slowed down the game a bit and made it somewhat. Before the update, it was nearly impossible to get through attacks unscathed.

You do get shields and their is dispersed array of bombs that you accumulate as you pick up these powerups that appear after you destroy enemies.

On that note, Sentry Alpha is a great shooter with terrific controls. It's one of the best shooters I've played.