Sky Mobile TV

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by odelay, Nov 9, 2009.

1. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    #1 odelay, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Thought this may be of interest to some. Sky have today launched a new Mobile TV app for the iPhone/iPod Touch, for viewing the Sky Sports channels live over Wifi. If you're like me and haven't got Sky (I've never been able to justify the high price for the full sports packages), then this might suit you. It's £6/month. You can get the first 3 months for free if you get a promo code from http://www.o2.co.uk/skyoffer

Here's the link to the app:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky-mobile-tv-news-and-sports/id332253703?mt=8

The app is very simple to use after you've signed up, just login to your account, then choose the channel you want to watch, and you're away. You can also skip back 30sec - seems to work twice, i.e. you can go back a minute behind live tv, and you can also pause, and skip forward to go back to "live". Sweet.

Now I just need to check it works with my video out cable when I get home, so I can watch the footie on the telly. I'm thinking that they may well have blocked video out with the app, to stop people doing this, i.e. so you have to pay for one of their "full" subscription packages to watch on the big screen, but we can hope. I'll post back once I've tested it this evening, in case anyone else is also interested in whether this works.

Here's some screenshots:

Attached Files:

2. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Arse. Doesn't work with video-out cable. Audio goes to the tv, but not video. They've clearly thought about this one, and don't want people using this as a cheap way of watching prem matches etc. on the big screen. Ah well. Still prob just about worth the subscription to watch sky sports for me as I don't have sky at home. Not so much use for people who already have sky at home I would think, as no 3g streaming yet, so wifi only for now.

3. Hamburger3

Hamburger3 Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Does 3G unrestrictor get round the wifi issue?

Anyone JB tried this.

4. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Apparently there has been mixed success with this. Mine's not jailbroken, but over on the MacRumors AppStore forum, there's a similar thread and some have posted that it works, some not.

5. dellsmaith

dellsmaith New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Does anyone have a problem with sky mobile tv on their iphone? I have no problem starting to watch but it keeps loading movie every 30 to 40 seconds and this is really annoying please help. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the application but it is still doing it. My internet connection is fine too.

6. appfreak

appfreak Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Geek (Media editor)
    London
    It works pretty smooth for me, you don't even realise it's streaming. However, there is a control button that reloads the past 10 seconds or so, perhaps pause it to see if it loads the content better.

7. anthonyso

anthonyso New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi guys,
    I have a same problem but I have no problem starting to watch but it keeps loading movie every half an hour and this is really annoying please help. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the application but it is still doing it. My internet connection is also too fine.