Sky Force 2014 Payment Model Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by badmanj, Jun 5, 2014.

1. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    At this point I can see you agree with me, yes eat chips whilst wait for your tacos but the game does not give you anything to fill the time till the timer runs out, the equivalent of no chips and bad service through waiting.

If you seriously think a little digital man is preparing and then installing the upgrades in the game, you need to put the beer down you have had enough.

The reason people are so vocal about these types of game mechanics is because they will ultimately ruin games. The creator of bomb cats, wrote about free to play vs premium it in his blog, it affects the game, the development time, the amount of revenue and ultimately the devs reputation. Worst offenders EA and Gameloft, most threads regarding their games revolve around how the games have been ruined by payment models. If a developer like the one who created bomb cats can see it, and a lot of other indi developers who read and commented on it can see it as an issue, then its the gamers who need to also discuss it. Just because you agree or disagree it dosent make you right or wrong it means some people she it as a barrier to enjoying a gam. I would have gladly paid for the game or an option to remove all timers, the option was never given, if people had to wait 20min for your character in call of duty to pick up his gun he just earned before he could fire it, unless you paid to speed up his arms, there would be pandemonium by the fans and in the press. I'm not sure why people re so willing to put up with bit because its a mobile game, especially as most people are not even asking for it to be free.

There are literally thousands of games in the app stores, you don't give a person a reason to stop playing yours, people will move on, they won't reccomend it, they forget about it.

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #82 coolpepper43, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Amateur polling?
    /s
    ;)

3. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I think you misspelt "trolling" :)

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Wait a minute, this whole metaphor is flawed! A place that offered free tacos, with the only catch being that you had to wait a little while between them... That would be awesome!

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That's what's hilarious. You apply the free to play model to just about anything else in life and it sounds amazing. I wouldn't ever have to pay for anything.

6. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    #86 funem, Jun 9, 2014
    Im going from the point of having paid to remove adverts AND buy the star doublers, money definitely left my pockets/bank account.

If you have never read this or are passionate about mobile gaming I suggest you have a read, its from a developer, and a good one at that and how f2p affects a good game. The comments from other devs make interesting reading as well.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LukeSchneider/20130626/195077/F2P_Do_or_Do_Not_There_Is_No_Try.php

Night!

7. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I've read that article, and it is very good reading I suggest everyone else take a look at if they don't yet have a stand on F2P. There are legitimate points against it, and this post by a developer does a nice job summing a few of them up.

Personally, if I'm reading a thread for a specific F2P game, I'm not looking for arguments about the merits of F2P in general - I've already decided where I stand on those merits, or I wouldn't be reading the thread for a F2P game. So when I see the same handful of people taking turns posting the exact same anti-F2P talking points, over and over again, pretending that it's some unique revelation that nobody has ever read before, it gets tiresome.

I'd love to read specifics - how does the F2P mechanic in this game affect the play experience? When do wait timers create a paywall? Not vague generalities that pretty much anyone on a gaming forum would have already made up their minds on one way or another.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Guacamole

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Fantastic find, I cross posted it in the Let's Discuss IAP thread.

Here are two other well-written pieces on IAP and F2P:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/5699058/free-to-play-mobile-candy-crush-the-room
    http://www.edge-online.com/features/how-clones-fear-sanitisation-and-free-to-play-soured-the-ios-gaming-revolution/

10. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    lmao! # For that, I have no comeback! You deserve a pat on the back #

11. Bronxsta

More like a small minority of players drive the F2P market but their actions affect all of IOS gaming

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/swrve-finds-015-of-mobile-gamers-contribute-50-of-all-in-game-revenue-247246771.html
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/swrve-finds-over-35-of-all-in-game-revenues-are-delivered-in-the-first-three-days-of-player-life-254526381.html

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

OK now find numbers for the hundreds of thousands of daily active users any popular free to play game has. Hundreds of thousands of people do not continually go back to things they don't enjoy. It's cute trying to see you spin these numbers to fit SumoSplash's agenda though. ;)

13. Bronxsta

#93 Bronxsta, Jun 9, 2014
    Actually those statistics were originally cited by The Room developer, I'm just sharing their source

And Sumo's way too black and white on all this IMO. Not all F2P is bad. Quadropus Rampage, Phoenix HD, and many more are examples of F2P done well, fairly, and balanced. Don't twist my post into me supporting someone's agenda.
    ---
    Also would you be open to responding to my previous inquiry? Rather than dismissing it with some weird comment? I was trying to have a discussion. You know, a back and forth, an exploration of pros and cons and opinions? I guess that's the college student part of me talking

14. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    #94 kmacleod, Jun 9, 2014
    It's strange, seeing the idea that a handful of people are subsidizing everyone else's free gaming experience is being spun as an inherently bad thing.

F2P allows developers to get their games in front of literally millions of people who otherwise never would have played those games. Like anything else in life, it can be done well and it can be done poorly.

And personally, I do think Sky Force 2014 could do a much better job of it.

15. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    [CITATION NEEDED] #

Seriously though, do the devs actually give a crap about players who don't invest in their games?

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes. That's what's so crazy about this whole thing. The way developers actually feel about their free to play players and what the militant anti-free to play crew think are such drastic polar opposites it's really just hilarious. People who play and never pay are still a vital part of the whole economy, as social virility is such a key component to making a good free to play game work. These games are balanced to be fun without paying, ever.

17. Bronxsta

Who said the game (I assume we're talking Sky Force here) wasn't fun? It's one of the best shmups I've played on IOS. All I was hoping was that devs would allow us to remove the timers. I can deal with ads and currency and what not. And I was willing to pay to remove those too.

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I just saw that the feller above has been banned. It's not because of anything he's said above is it? I've always thought he was actually a very good writer. His description of Kiwanuke was on the money. Yep, he went on about IAP possibly a bit too much for my liking but if he's been banned for that I actually feel very, very sad about it. Whilst I may not agree with everyone's sentiments I really do think that they should be allowed to express them. I apologise if he/she's done anything nasty to anyone here and the ban may be appropriate but it just seemed weird when I saw banned next to his name. I always looked forward to his writing as it was always very eloquent and descriptive. No problem with this being deleted if it's not appropriate for this thread or indeed he has done anything nasty or offensive. Just feel a bit sorry for the boy/girl.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's not.

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Haha - good. I did always like his impressions on games when I read them.