Sky Force 2014 Payment Model Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by badmanj, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Why not just make a simple $5 premium unlock? Buying 3 or more inapps? I dunno, not interested, especially cause you may need to buy more.

Just make it simple devs, all this wait timer, nag timers, facebook spamming, tons of inapps, and other stuff just ruins games. Flat and simple.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Game's a premium at $4-$6.

Since the upgrade timers can be skipped by using in-game coins, i just consider it a part of the upgrade cost. The timer does get ridiculously high though, but skipping it is cake compared to other games with secondary currencies.

I strongly agree though, that the timers should be gotten rid of, and maybe just add the supposedly timer-skip cost to the upgrade cost.

The doubler is a godsend, and so is the remove ads IAP. Getting the reduce-time IAP can be significant too, since it reduces the cost to skip the timer as well, essentially acting as a permanent drop in total upgrade costs.

3. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yikes, and I thought the fact that I can't even buy IAP was bad (until I spent 1000 stars), on top of all the timer BS. Now I'm hearing that we can't even finish the game because of some artificial barrier for critical mass?

Will delete until patched.

4. OriginalDex

OriginalDex Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    @macplash: the requirements to play stage 7 are different: you have to wait until 100.000 players in the world reach the end of stage 6...
    Listening to the devs, this should be a (sneaky) way to get more people to download the game by spreading the word about it... but if you wanna know my thought about this "strategy" it just makes me laugh... this will only help to spread BAD words about this game... and to delete it once you've reached stage 7...
    My conclusion is that the devs should continue to do the devs and leave the marketing part to those who can understand something about marketing...

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#25 Bronxsta, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    @ PeterID

That is very generous offer. I'll certainly consider it.

Perhaps we could discuss this whole thing some more though. Can you explain why the timers are necessary? How do they benefit, enhance, better the gameplay? I'm sure every design decision is made with the goal of servicing the gameplay, creating a cohesive experience, and since even with IAP purchases the timers are only reduced rather than removed, then they must have some importance

Personally I see it like this. Especially for the upgrade timer. While I think it's a nice touch to let the player actually play while the upgrade timer is counting down, it's still a form of delayed gratification. Look at games like Ballistic, Quadblast, Infinity Field; you simply upgrade what you want...and then it's applied and you play. Instant. It keeps the pacing fast, fluid. Makes anticipating the next playthrough that much more exciting because you can jump right back in with your upgraded craft. Compared to here, where I can upgrade my main gun, play a round, still be underpowered, die, and my upgrade still isn't ready because I needed to wait two minutes. Why is that delay between purchasing an upgrade and actually acquiring the upgrade necessary in Sky Force?

As for the Plane Generator, may I ask why there is such resistance to outright removing the timer rather than just reducing it?

And finally, I urge you again to please consider adding some kind of expensive premium unlock that disables both timers + removes ads + doubler. At least provide that option for the fans who'd like to enjoy your game in that fashion. I don't know if you plan to bring Sky Force 2014 to PC, but this is a game I'd certainly buy for $10, $12, on IOS or other platforms.

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I especially "liked" how the game launched with no IAP and a couple of days later they showed up in a patch due to a "vote" by the players. Ha! Yeah, we're all really stupid.

It's also amusing how the game starts with a beefed up ship, you're enjoying yourself and then striped to a wonky one instead and given an excruciatingly slow build up mechanic.

Fun game potentially but a huge grind thanks to the unbalanced F2P structure and assortment of timers.

7. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I respect your opinion as well. I wasn't aware that the game shipped without IAP at some point. As for limiting players, I can't agree...other than the level 7 issue. You can think if this game as an RPG hybrid if you want - leveling up a ship incrementally to see if you have the strength to pass...I personally fail to see what is wrong with that. I find it fun and the medals are challenging enough to at least keep me coming back...

As for 'warm-hearted', I guess we will all see. I think that the Devs have been genuinely active here and responding to critiques...that is a good start. Why don't we just wait for an update and see if they are listening. Hopefully we will be surprised (either good or bad - if bad, it is a very easy decision to delete then).

8. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Sorry Infinite Dreams, but I will never see F2P timers as a "meta-game".

Can you explain why there isn't an option to pay a premium price to make this game a normal non-F2P game? You got our money, so why make us wait?

Back to Phoenix, JoyJoy, etc.

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Yeah...I'm surprised that your the only one who's commented on the update patch. I agree with you. Who would vote for IAPs to be put into a game? :eek:

The timers are just one more ploy to exploit money. Timers are like drugs. The whole IAP model for this game is based on drug dealing mentality. Get them hooked and keep them coming back.

If anyone can argue otherwise......Please do. Enlighten me.

10. Bronxsta

#30 Bronxsta, Jun 8, 2014
    Whoa, wait a second, were you a beta tester? What do you mean, the game launched with no IAP?

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Pretty sure it always had consumable IAP. The update that came days after release added permanant IAP like the doubler, ad removal, and plane generator.

I wasn't going to even bother posting on this thread but since I already have might as well say it. I wish these guys luck. The game is beautiful. But this sort of freemium model is completely ill suited to this genre. I just can't see how it could work. Shmup fans are a singular breed, they are primarily old school and core gamers, two groups I don't see as being particularly likely to get pulled into this pay structure (or the social game-sharing to unlock stuff). Personally I know this isn't working for me. Despite the games's beauty, the business model just destroys the arcade, action game experience.

12. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I can deal with the ridiculous upgrades and grind. The timers are just off putting and is the video game equivalent of crack cocaine.

The only reason the timers are in this game is to nickel and dime you to death.

13. Bronxsta

#33 Bronxsta, Jun 8, 2014
    Oh, I see. Thought he meant something else.

Yup, exactly. You said it more succinctly than I have. Twitchy arcadey experiences like this are built around a fast pace, getting in a groove, one more go, and the time-based barriers like waiting for weapon upgrades, waiting for planes, just kills that appeal.

14. blahdo

blahdo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I got the launch version and it has no IAP. IAP was only added on the latest update.

Still has all the IAP features like timers and grinding in the non IAP version of the game.

They probably done it that way to make themselves look like good guys.

15. It is very unfortunate about all these issues that will cause this game to be deleted off my system since it has so many undesirable things. Freemium riff raff I call it.

I find it sad that one of my favorite windows mobile games, I can not play on ios as a premium game like it was so long ago.

It is a sad state of ios gaming, that avid ios gamers will not accept, no matter how it is promoted. There are a couple of serious ios gamers that want good inexpensive premiums, I am one, and though it seems like we are in the minority with everyone loving Candy Crush and billions of dollars made and huge advertising budgets, there are others like us that want good fun premium games or at least the ability to do a premium unlock.

Please consider ways to make freemium games premium. Thanks all.

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #36 GiHubb, Jun 8, 2014
    I was not a beta tester. Read the latest app update description. And I quote: "Dear fans! You voted for it, you got it! With this update we introduce in-app purchases that will give you more freedom to enjoy the game."
    I now almost feel like William Wallace/Mel Gibson: FREEDOM! :)
    What a bunch of bullcrap

17. MarsRover611

MarsRover611 New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Mines of Mars
    #37 MarsRover611, Jun 8, 2014
    This post is spot on. Shumps usually gravitate to a very specific niche of gamers. Casual gamers would likely bail on games like this because of the difficulty alone. I dislike F2P mechanics in general, although there have been some good, fair implementations including those that nearly negate those mechanics through one IAP. But especially in this genre, it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure Cave has done well with its generally $8 to $12 range of premium games because of the group of people dedicated to shmups as hardcore gamers.

It sounds like even with the 7th level, this was designed expecting a gigantic sales base. I don't think they'll get it. This is a game that doesn't appeal to everyone. It could be one of the best shmups on iOS but even those it appeals to are going to be turned off.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sure.

19. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I can't get into game shop. This is really strange, for f2p especially

20. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Same here. I've discontinued playing games like this for the same reason. When I'm in the mood I want to be able to play a game for as long as I want not get locked out unless I pay. All these type of games are basically pay to play. I fast lose interest in a game I can't play for as long as I want. Unfortunately they're doing this to some really terrific games forcing me to either delete or not download at all. Today alone I deleted candy crush and that new King game bubbles as well as the jousting game and I won't even be looking at this because I know I won't like being locked out after a few goes.