Universal Sky Force 2014 (by Infinite Dreams)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeterID, Apr 25, 2014.

1. phyllo

phyllo Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I did that and still no VIP. Should it appears anywhere on the screen before getting into a stage ?

2. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    This is one of the more annoying "features" of the game (please see my previous posts, I love the game, but there are a couple bits that rub me the wrong way)...

1.) You have to not play the game at all for 24+ hours.

2.) At that point, you'll get a banner that tells you either something is on sale, or there is an important person needing to be rescued.

3.) Open the game and look at the various Stages. You will notice that one of them has a little "VIP" tag on it.

4.) Start that mission, and you will eventually notice that one of your humans to be rescued looks, well, different.

5.) Pick him up!

HTH

DBC

3. phyllo

phyllo Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I've never ever seen the point 2.

Even if I stop playing at all for 1 week.

4. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Do you have notifications turned on?

DBC

5. PeterID

PeterID Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hi!

@phyllo: The stars you harvest from your friends don't count to the earned pool. Do you thinks this might be the case? What's the progress of that achievement in your Game Center app?

@SkyWolf: The camouflage looks great. That's its only function :)

@joymaker: Thanks for your kind words and for the videos. Really great job on that Stage 9!

@shieraz: We've had a blog once, but the person taking care of it doesn't work with us anymore. We're keeping ourselves busy making games, so there's not much time left for blagz, and all that. Our little talks, here at TA, and our Facebook page are generally how we let people know what's up.

@TotallyImba: The stage progress and plane upgrades do sync. The stars collected do not.

Now, for some other news... I've got some bad news and some good news. Bad news is that the update increasing card drops will not be hitting iOS anytime soon. There's some problem with the Game Center plugin we're using, that came up after we updated it (we can't go back to the older version at this point). It screws our tournament leaderboards. Until this is resolved we can't release new version, sorry.
    There's been some talk on level 10 here... There won't be level 10 for Sky Force 2014. This is, perhaps, another bad news, but followed by a good one.
    In total secrecy, we're working on Sky Force Reloaded! This is not an official anouncement, just a tip for some of our most devoted players ;-)
    Despite a strong urge to make Sky Force 2, we thought that after "2" there would be no more room for a "Reloaded" remake, and that it would be a shame to just leave it like that. On the tech-side it will be very similar to the 2014 version. Different setting, some refurbished units, some in higher definition. Basically more of that great shooting you've come to love in Sky Force 2014.
    I hope that last news is comforting enough for those of you without the full set of cards ;-)

Best regards,
    Peter,
    Infinite Dreams.

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Well, PeterID,

-update to complete our cards will not be coming yet, but it is on Android
    -update for a new level will not come at all, as it is on Android.

-but, you will release another game on ios, hoping to make more from ios users when you clearly don't bring your ios app up to par with android?

This doesn't look good to me, not at all.

-from someone who has paid for the IAPs
    -has waited patiently for the update to get those cards and complete the game,
    -and who repeatedly recommends this game in lots of forums as a "Freemium done right" model, wishing more developers followed your monetisation scheme.

Can't help but feel let down as an ios gamer.

7. illuminerdi

illuminerdi New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    #1467 illuminerdi, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Starts/Achievement Bug(s)?

I too am missing achievements for the various "collect X stars". I have 40,000 stars in the bank right now, and my highest amount was 80,000, but I didn't even get the achievement for collecting 20,000 stars.

I also did not get the achievement for doing all the medals on Stage 3, even though I have gotten all 16 medals from that stage. I even re-did a run through of the stage (on Normal) and got all 4 medals from a single run, but even that didn't unlock it, so it too seems bugged...

For reference, I alternate playing between an Android TV device and a Shield Portable. Bizarrely, even though stars don't sync between my devices neither one activated the achievement when I went above 20,000 stars...

Also, I have NO friends that play this game, so I am not harvesting any stars from downed friends.

Also, can anyone explain to me why the touch versions of the game get the V shaped shots but the ATV/Shield version has those lame "side ships" that shoot smaller shots straight up? Seems ironic since the widescreen version of the game (thus the version with more horizontal playfield) has a narrower shot pattern... double bonus: those side planes are destroyed if hit. I don't mind that aspect so much, but having watched videos for playthroughs of Level 8 and 9 on Nightmare mode where there appears little change in enemy patterns, it seems odd that this change was made. One other thing about the side ships that slightly annoys me: the energy shield does not cover/protect them when in use, so when I turn on the shield and then kamikaze into a wave of enemies, I usually end up destroying my side pods because they aren't covered. Is this intentional? Seems almost like a bit of a nerf to these things when the port to ATV/Shield was done...using the shield to smash enemy ships is practically a necessary strategy on higher difficulties, and yet doing so now costs you the use of your side pods.

Either way, I love the game, I've gotten every medal except Nightmare 8 and 9.

Also I'm kinda annoyed at having to spend stars to buy bombs/lasers/shields now that I'm just doing runs of levels 8/9. Perhaps you'd consider very expensive ship upgrades that always give you X number of lasers to start each level - thus removing the need to "star farm" and giving us endgame players something else to work towards? Or maybe add the option to buy cards for very large sums of stars, for people who are bored/frustrated with trying to get those very last few card drops...

Thanks!

8. phyllo

phyllo Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Yes. But I turned on the notification only one or two months ago. Maybe a part of the problem.

9. phyllo

phyllo Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I've got 600000 stars now. I doubt I've earned 100000 stars from my friends.
    The real name of the achievement should be "save 500000 stars but-not-the-one-harvesting-from-your-friend" ? :))

I've change of device, going from a tablet to a smartphone one month or so ago. Should it be a cause ?

I've got the same achievements in my Game center (the contrary would have surprise me a lot).

Thank you.

10. Phill_UK

Phill_UK Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Working for a living
    England
    Sky Force 2014 (by Infinite Dreams)

Yes, a VIP symbol should appear next to the stage number at the top of the screen. You can play any level of that stage to rescue the VIP.

No need to have notifications turned on either. I don't.

[​IMG]

11. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I think a 10th and last level would've been cool to finish the small story introduced with the new mysterious enemy we saw in level 9. I guess he's gonna be back in Sky Force Reloaded then. That's a great news, I'm looking forward to it !

What I expect for this new game :
    - at least 7 levels to start with
    - 2 planes
    - about 20 cards like the other game, with some new cards
    A back turret for one of the planes would be good too !

Basically Sky Force Reloaded must have everything Sky Force 2014 didn't have IMO, and it must correct the bad things that Sky Force had (card drop rate, if there are still cards). I also believe tou should make Reloaded a paid game, because the freemium model is not widely appreciated in the iOS community.

12. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!

13. phyllo

phyllo Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I've never seen the VIP symbol neither.

14. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member

Mar 8, 2015
    #1474 mdrejhon, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Where's the achievement for destroying all towers in Stage 5 on INSANE mode? :D
    Instead.... how about NIGHTMARE mode? Yep!

I not only pulled it off, but I did it in NIGHTMARE mode. See screenshot.

You need to have:
    - Main cannon maxed out
    - Missles maxed out
    - Wing cannons to high end of 4
    - Laser to high end of 4
    - It helps to have Health maxed out, so you can survive some hits.
    - It helps if you have the tower locations memorized for the whole level.
    This is easy if you use this level as your favorite star farm level. I've been using Stage 5 in INSANE mode as my primary method of collecting up stars: I collect about 3500 stars almost every time (including the 2x stars IAP), often collecting 100% of stars in INSANE mode. Because of this, and doing this hundreds of times in INSANE mode to stage completion to collect stars to nearly max out my ship upgrades, I've become very familiar with Stage 5 in INSANE mode. So that allowed me to begin this holy grail attempt in NIGHTMARE mode...

Tactics:
    - Ignore all other objectives and focus as quickly as possible on the towers
    - Center as center as possible so BOTH left/right wing cannons are also gnawing the towers down. It's not easy as it requires very precise left/right positioning of your ship.
    - Be at least 1/6 screen lengths below the tower, to allow your missles to hit it every time. Usually if you center perfectly and both missles hit, you can blow up one tower per launch of missle pair, before the next set of missles launch.
    - You must gain at least one laser during the first 4-5 towers, otherwise it is impossible during NIGHTMARE mode. It is possible to complete Stage 5 in INSANE mode without ever using the laser, but it's mathematically impossible in NIGHTMARE mode, as the screen scrolls faster than a perfect bullet grind-down.
    - iPad Mini is easier. iPhone (thumb precision) and large iPads (amount of physical thumb movement) are a bit more difficult.
    - Save your lasers for the moments where there's lots of towers on the screen, or if you're about to be killed by a bullet hail if staying in present location (those infernal purple-bullet-shooting turrets). The laser will be even more important during the last 1/5th of the game. You can get by with just about three or four laser blasts. Five laser blasts duriung the session makes it much easier, provided you get the laser powerups very early.
    - Learn to stay stationary for as long as possible by keeping the missle flying away from you most of the time. Perfect your "missle circle dance" in easier difficulties first.

The submarine missle circle dance is your most important tactic.
    ....It's key in not needing to keep moving around 100% of the time.
    ...The circle dance: When blue "submarine missle" gets close within a few on-screen millimeters away from you, instantly swoop a tight circle at the last minute to behind the missle (tight circle dance). This forces the missle to overshoot and spend time circling back (in a wider circle than your tight circle dance).
    ...While the missle is overshooting, it allows you 2-3 seconds of stationary peace and quiet (aiming bullets at a tower to grind it down) before you have to spend 1/3 or 1/2 of a second dodging the missle again before as quickly as possible resuming grinding down the tower.
    ...This allows you to focus on grinding down the towers with maximum number of bullets without constantly moving away from the annoying blue missle.

Attached Files:

15. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member

Mar 8, 2015
    And this is how good I am at the INSANE during Stage 5 which I use for farming my stars.

Does anyine else use Stage 5 as their star farm?

Attached Files:

16. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Ok, wow. I did not think I could do it, but I challenged myself for the last hour to see if I could pull it off....

Here is a perfect game of Stage 5 on INSANE difficulty. I had to max out my laser upgrades and use laser liberally whenever there were many towers on screen, and I have to tight-circle dodge the blue submarine missle in a radius tight enough to rescue people uninterrupted.

Attached Files:

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I still can't make it past that Damn level where the sub shoots you at the start with an emp. Lol. I was an original beta tester back in 2004 when you guys released sky force for Palm OS on the Tapwave Zodiac 2 device. I still have it and the game rofl.

These devs are good people. They care about their games. I love sky force! I put in a lot of $$ in IAP to show my support.

Still cannot beat that level. I change my mind I hate you devs for that level lol.

Billy

18. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Gotta say, considering I haven't managed to complete the card collection in almost a year of daily playing, I'm not all that excited about the next installment...

DBC

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#1479 Anotherkellydown, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Oh man, I'm super excited about the "secret announcement"! Thank you for sharing @PeterID.

That really sucks man. Wish those cards would drop for you :(

It would be cool if the cards would still drop after you had them all. Then have some way to give them to friends...

20. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, it's funny, I usually try not to complain, but it dawned on me recently that it's been almost a year, which seems, well, excessive. At least I enventually got more than half of 'em, right? ;)

I do really love parts of the game, but it's tough when something you're ostensibly doing for enjoyment causes you more frustration and anxiety than not doing it. lol

Cheers!

DBC