Universal Sky Force 2014 (by Infinite Dreams)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeterID, Apr 25, 2014.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It.. is... so gorgeous! It's seriously amazing what you've been able to accomplish and it plays like a dream too.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep its brilliant. Controls well, there are other shooter games out there but this just screams polish.

Its like a brilliantly updated 1942/Flying Shark

A great time for iOS games !

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've been playing for the last couple hours, and I'm definitely diggin it. I've always enjoyed the mechanics and scoring of the series, but the controls... And that's been addressed here.

I am thinking that I spent my stars poorly, so I'm finding my ship drastically underpowered at stage 3... Could just be that it's free and pushing IAP, but I really want to try different setups with the star upgrades and see if that does anything before I jump the gun (again) and say it's something it might very well not be...

It's early...

4. PeterID

PeterID Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    #24 PeterID, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    It's great to see you guys enjoying it so much! Thanks for the kind words and let's hope you'll like Sky Force even more when you spend some time with it.

@syntheticvoid: The difficulty level increases with each stage a bit. Usually one or two upgrades of the main gun are enough to feel more comfortable again. Let me ensure you that we didn't make it harder on purpose to enforce IAPs. We made it to be fun and challenging in what we felt were the right proportions. It's obvious that after a long development cycle we're very biased about the balance, but that's why we're conducting these beta tests and soft launch. I said it before, but I'll rephrase - our most important goal is for players to enjoy our game!

Best regards,
    Peter,
    Infinite Dreams.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Everything is good here (with the promise of RT), except for the upgrade timers. Is it really necessary to add in timers for upgrades? I dont see any point of it except the IAP push. Doesnt add anything into the gameplay at all. If the game world had some counting down time, then it could possibly be a strategic implementation as to which upgrades to go for because they take time to upgrade, while the game-time moves forward as well.

6. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #26 tonyunreal, Apr 25, 2014
    Does this game support MFi controllers?

Edit: nope.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Holy moly this is the best shmup I've played since Pheonix HD

The visuals are utterly jaw-dropping, some of the best I've ever seen on iOS (that water :eek:)

The controls felt awkward at first, because your ship moves slower than your finger so it lags behind a little, but I quickly go used to it.

All the mission systems are great and definitely add to the longevity and replayability.

I'm loving the upgrade system so far, hopefully I won't hit any major paywalls. The timers seem a bit awkward though

Another thing I love is how it shows the highscores of your friends right after the level, I think that's a great touch.

All around fantastic, I'm looking forward to diving deeper and giving more feedback. I'm a bit too tired at the moment, haha

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

It does look often as good as...

...but I really hope that there will be a Story Part added to the Game at some point since it`s currently not existing. Also that Computer Female Voice is destroying every mood that the Game is building up and I sincerly hope that it`s just an placeholder and will get replaced as soon as possible.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woo! Completing all the objectives unlocks a Hard difficulty! Woot woo!! Replayvalueworld here I come!

10. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Hmmm...the game seemed to be muted when played on my iPhone 5s, but it runs fine on my iPod touch(5th gen), weird.

11. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Loving it so far, the graphics are great and smooth. I like that you can rescue the people without inadvertently shooting them ( the only bit I used to wish you could change in the original versions ). Its like someone got the game I loved playing, updated it but kept what was so great about the original version. That said the original versions were always really polished and had great graphics.

The game is hard, which also means I will get some play out of it as I improve then craft, I can see me spending a lot of time with this.

One thing, I can see you unlock upgrades as you get in game currency, but there is an install time which you can also bypass with currency, please don't make this a freemuim game, fake timers ruin games, it is such an obvious way of making you use in-game currency for no other reason than to encourage you to buy more. I would rather buy the game for a premium amount and have the option to buy items like optional extras like other alternative ships with real money, than to have fake paywalls.

That said its fun so far..... glad Sky Force made it to the current gen hardware.

12. PeterID

PeterID Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Regarding the timers... Right now they're a way to save some stars for later upgrades. If you feel you can finish a level without the next level of your weapon - leave the timer be, perhaps speed it up after you're done playing (it will be cheaper). We are, obviously, considering IAPs in the game, but we don't want to break it in the process. If you feel the timers now are a big no-no - that's a valuable information to us. Full premium release is probably not an option, but we're also considering an IAP that would achieve the same (removal of timers, ads, planes limit, etc.)
    If anyone outside the beta group would like to take part in a survey and give us more detailed feedback - please let me know, either in a post or via PM.

@Sanuku: Thanks for the vid. You did pretty well reaching Stage 3! Thanks for the feedback, too.

@tonyunreal: MFI controllers are planned for future releases, but it's more complicated than one might think. The bug with muted sound seems to be related to Unity engine. Restarting the app usually helps.

@syntheticvoid: How do you like the "Hard" difficulty so far?

Best regards,
    Peter,
    Infinite Dreams.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not too bad with freemium when its done right (no paywalls etc) but timers for me personally are a huge no no. If i've spent money on a game on IAP's etc i dont want a timer saying when i can/cant play, i'll just play something else then.

I agree about a single IAP you could buy to remove timers and other stuff. As long as i've got the ability to remove timers with an IAP i'm happy !

The graphics are gorgeous and i'm having a lot of fun with it, same with other people i'm a 'bit' nervous of how the IAP/timers might work. But an IAP to remove timers yes please !!

14. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I think if you read the foums here you will get a pretty much mixed reaction to paywalls and timers, take a peek at the spiderman 2 thread and dungeon keeper. By the look of it its in the implementation. People don't expect it in a premium or paid for game. If the game is free and the option was to pay for removal of adverts and timers then I would guess from reactions on here this would be acceptable to most, you cant please everybody as they say.

I personally would pay for the game and would be happy to see in app purchases for early unlocking but perfectly achievable content, ie ships and such like, but timers are something I detest.

If you want as many people to download it and want it to be free, then that to me would be fine as long as I could buy a one off way to unlock the remaining part of the game or remove adverts and paywalls.

Its a balancing act for developers and I hope its something you manage to balance in a way that enables you to receive sufficient revenue as I would love to see more content and games from your company.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others have different opinions.

Good luck

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I loathe timers. Im sure most of us here do.

As Psj mentioned, IAP to remove timers is needed IF you really think you should keep the timers in.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, i can 'understand' the freemium route. I still would prefer a premier price but it sounds like its already ready for IAP's so i doubt they can change that easily

But to me its a premier priced game, so i'm happy to buy a $5-8 IAP to 'unlock' things and more importantly no timer.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    (Being on my knees, praying position)

Please, dear Devs, DO THIS !

I might talk for a lot Toucharcadians (and others) who are willing to pay a premium price (unlock iap) even if it's in a price range like Cave's or Square Enix ($10-15).
    This game offers so much quality and replay value, having these terrible timer/energy nonsens leaves me such a sick feeling in my stomach.

Cheapheads want f2p ? Give 'em that. But please, set a little milestone for us customers who are willing to pay a well deserved premium price. DO THIS !

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great post ! 100% agree ! Like you say let the cheapskates play the game for free (with timers or whatever), but please also let people buy it with a premium priced IAP to get rid of some of that freemium type stuff like the dreaded timers

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #39 syntheticvoid, Apr 25, 2014
    Great!! I've only unlocked it on stages 1+2 - but I'm enjoying Insane difficulty even more! =oD

lol...

**edit**

woah, I just checked, and somehow I'm #1 on the leaderboard... =oP

20. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer

we need a platinum trophy for this guy. agreed 10000% and peter, as a beta tester of this game i have to agree with the premium IAP for an old loyal fans of sky force. this game is just too damn good to be branded with the freemium timer, coins/stars thingy. at least gives us a choice with the full premium unlock IAP.