GameClub Skulls of the Shogun - (by 17-BIT, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Cheap to me for having a 10 hour ish campaign and online async multiplayer. Should last longer than anything else you could get for that amount of cash!

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not so sure about that. There are freemium games which will last you hundreds of hours of contiguous play. But you probably won't have much fun while yer at it ;)

From my early impressions, however, I do believe that there are few better ways for fans of tactics to spend 5 dollars on a game, on iOS or any platform :)

3. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Well at least this guy proved our points for us.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Is there online multiplayer

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #85 Ayjona, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    I'm thinking that reading the app description would resolve quite a few of these questions;) But yes, there is cross-platform asynchronous multiplayer between iOS and Steam (though the actual async mechanics are quite clumsy. Push notifications don't lead directly into matches, and the player is forced out of the game upon submitting the turn, effectively preventing us from playing an online game contiguously).

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Sorry bro I'm tired.

And thanks

7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    You know I half expected someone to tell me a light build would last longer! Freemium you are right...but there really are so few that aren't filled with timers ect and actually have gameplay.

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Combat Monsters is good.

These game would be an instabuy (well, late instabuy) if it had continuous games. Not that big of a fan of asynchronous

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah. Well, at least there seems to be a counter-movement thing going on, and some developers seem to have begun to take notice... (Ace Patrol going premium, etc.) And some, like Skulls, are just designed as complete experiences from the outset. Either way, I definitively don't think the hope for premium iOS gaming is dead. Perhaps not even worse off... (More free-to-play ant farms released every week, but also more quality premium games and the occasional quality freemium title in the App Store as well.)

Sorry right back if it sounded in any way harsh :)

But yeah, I'm thinking Skulls of the Shogun async could be quite a big thing for iOS online TBS gaming.

In a TBS, the only difference between realtime and non-continuous is whether or not you are allowed to remain in game after submitting a turn (something every async game should implement, without exception). Sadly, you are not in Skulls of the Shogun, but I am going to try to get the devs to see just how nice seamles realtime-async can be.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah but who's to say that the other player will stay in the game too?

I may be being a stubborn brat at the moment but I'd like it if there was an option to be like Combat Monsters

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I don't get why people keep going on about RTS this is a TBS and personally I think TBS and async work much better for iOS.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm sorry I like to play my TBS in one sitting. RAD Soldiers was a nightmare for me haha

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As soon as the other player leaves, async mechanics take over. (Carcassonne and Playdek titles do this very well, and can be enjoyed as realtime turn-based games with seamless async integration.)

But I suppose yer talking about some kind of *forced* realtime? Yeah, I can see the appeal of that too. Would be nice as an option when creating games.

(Combat Monster's realtime enforcement is really only a result of Rubicon not yet having implemented async ;) )

14. Wow, you can play steam players? That is kinda cool.

15. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Loving this game, well worth $5. If u like the genre u really cannot go wrong, definitely a badass fun game.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep. And not only can you cross-platform play them, but your savegames also sync with the Steam version, should you happen to own it! That's a first for iOS, to my knowledge!

17. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bought this game after the persistent hype here as well as the rave reviews, and I gotta say it's quite awesome! Just finished the first two levels, and am looking forward to a non-casual IAP-less premium game.

18. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Just one music theme?

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Combat Monsters isn't really a RTS though it's just a TBS without async...I get bored waiting for other people so wish it really was async.

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah ik it's a TBS, but I like it bc it doesn't have the asynch.

Anyhoo just gonna buy this anyway, it's not that big of a deal as long as it's fun