GameClub Skulls of the Shogun - (by 17-BIT, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 27, 2013.

1. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah same here, crashing on iphone5 and ipad mini 7.0.4 & 7.0.3

2. That Kimono girl in screenshot 2 is interesting. Looks alright, havent been into rts too much, but looks very interesting.

3. LukeT

LukeT Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Same here in iPhone 5 iOs 7.0.3 and iPad 4 iOs 7.0.4, crash after start screen.

4. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm a little puzzled about several people referring to this as RTS. Do they know what it even means? This is clearly a TBS game.

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So I watched some of the video but don't have 20 minutes to watch it all. How tactical is the game?

So far it just looked like drag and drop with auto attacks? Any passive/active abilities ect? Units with different powers and such

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #46 Ayjona, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Devs, are async and realtime multiplayer seamlessly integrated? If not, that would be a first suggestion for ya ;) (Look at Carcassonne and Playdek titles for iOS for splendid examples. The idea is to no force the player out of the game once they submit their turn, so that the game can be enjoyed as a realtime title, which then shifts to async once a player leaves.)

EDIT: Or is realtime play gone from this version? I've heard conflicting reports. If it is, my suggestion is to simply meld it with async, as described above. Realtime for a TBS is simply an async game where you are allowed to remain in-game as the opponent takes his or her turn, possibly with some nice graphical indications as to what is happening.

Not that this will in any way prevent me from buying and playing this to near-absurdity (never heard of it before last night, but forum reactions and reviews of the PC and XBLA versions has my inner TBSer as excited as I was for Ravenmark: Mercenaries and FFT. Which is as excited as I ever get for a computer game). But it would be really, really convenient, and a clever way to adapt the title to the mobile paradigm.

EDIT: Any differences between this and the PC/XBLA versions, other than different controls and interface? Reviews speak of nice touches and toughtful finish like bots in multiplayer games, the ability to forge and break alliances, etc. Here's to hoping none of this has been dumbed down. Would be nice not to have to go to the Steam edition as well for the full experience.

Another EDIT: Heh, yes, crashes to springboard on my iPhone 5S, iOS 7.0.3. Kind of an embarrassing bug to let slip and ship ;) But with the momentum this title already exhibits, I hope it will not be bogged down with negativity and ruin sales before the devs can patch (which I hope they do within hours).

7. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Read this (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Skulls+of+the+Shogun/news.asp?b=related&c=55587) for their responses on basically all of that. It is the same game as the Steam version. I've tried out each mode and it is all perfect. My favorite touch? When I open the game it starts straight into my list of current Async games.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #48 Ayjona, Nov 27, 2013
    Oh, sexay. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a standard for async games. Do push notifications bring the player directly into the match (another of my favourite async mechanics)? Does there happen to be a chat system?

Lots of nice touches. Just like cross-platform play, and single player campaign save game syncing between iOS and Steam (which might be a first for any title).

The game crashing upon launch is revving up my curiosity a bit, now that I know I will have to wait to play it :) And thanks for the link. The review inspires confidence in the devs, and has me hoping they'll continue to expand the game.

EDIT: Email exchange with 17-Bit says their tech team is working on the issue as we speak, with the intention of fixing it as soon as humanly possible.

9. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Was looking forward to this game but may hold off for now. All this talk of crashing on new devices is scaring my mini. Probably wait for a fix.

10. drquicksilver

drquicksilver Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Please someone tell us what the game actually plays like on iOS devices?

11. 17-BIT Jake

17-BIT Jake New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Making videogames!
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys,

I'm Jake, the creative director and art director on Skulls of the Shogun, thanks for your support! It sounds like most people are having no issues with the game but we are seeing a few instances of people crashing upon startup in 7.03 and 7.04. We're all heads down working on resolving the issue, and will continue to crank until its fixed!!

Thanks for your patience! This is a huge release for us, we are very proud of the game and very appreciative of your support!

-Jake

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Are you trying to insult us

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#53 killercow, Nov 27, 2013
    Attention everybody, if your game crashes right when you launch the app here's a fix:

-Set your region (under Settings->General->International) to United States
    -Set your language to English
    -???
    -Profit!

The game now works and you can play (it should also help the dev team ;) )

14. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome! Thanks a lot man! Totally works.

15. 17-BIT Jake

17-BIT Jake New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Making videogames!
    Seattle, WA
    Region Settings Crash

DANG you guys are fast! I was just about to post this!

We've run into an issue where the game may not start if "Region Format" is not set to "United States." We are patching ASAP; for now, please select Settings -> General -> International -> Region Format -> United States.

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ouch that suck I'm in the UK and just downloaded but hasn't seen if it works or not yet.

17. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It's a common issue when a game crashes right at the splash screen. It's either that or a Game Center related bug usually.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Works without issue on 5s 7.04.

This game is fantastic! I love me some TBS!

19. 17-BITJess

17-BITJess New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    From what we've tested, you should be able to change the region settings and it should work!

20. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Oh wow. Thanks for posting this. Downloading now.