GameClub Skulls of the Shogun - (by 17-BIT, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I would be careful with such statements.As written above,i love strategy (especially TBS)but this here is not for me .Though i'm not saying this is a bad game,looks very polished.Just a bit to...special..for my taste :)

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    In an effort to find reasons why TBS fans may not like this game, could you define "special"?

3. ddevil

ddevil Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    I think im ditching this game until achivement is "achievabal" hehe.

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    How many times can you misspell the same word and its several permutations in the same sentence? :eek:

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    The story telling is hilarious! Great game.

6. ddevil

ddevil Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    My bad hah-. The lack of auto correct is making me weak ><

7. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#207 Baracus, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Fair enough comment although I too would like to know what you mean by "special" in this case.

I should elaborate a bit on my description. Honestly I could write many hundreds of words about this game but I know nobody would read it here :D

Here's a few things that, if you LIKE TBS, and you LIKE the sound of these points then you would likely like the game!

- its funny both story and animations (not serious) so a bit jokey/ lightweight compared to wargames
    - it's not too complex or longwinded in terms of number of units and upgrade levels or tech tree to understand and memorize
    - but there is always several viable good moves so always decisions to make for how to prioritise your 5 moves.
    - it doesn't require precise placement of units so there is some flexibility and leeway to what you can reach within one "move" so it cuts down on frustration, speeds up the game and very suited to touch controls.
    - game plays fast when you know enough to plan ahead. You can speed up enemy animations so AI or other players turn plays out really quick, just enough for you to see what happened.
    - visual feedback of what will happen if you attack is excellent (and fun) so the UI is not cluttered with info
    - there's a couple of neat little mechanics that aren't essential to use but I can see how they will become more critical in higher level PvP play such as forming walls with your units to protect ones behind and positioning yourself to push enemies into spikes (thorns) or off ledges when you attack (like in Squids). A fun extra layer to think about differently on each map.

Some negative points:
    - when you have a lot of units close to each other (yours and enemy) with a lot of skulls and other scenery objects you can interact with it can be hard to select the thing you want.
    - when the rice runs out its easy to overpower the AI. Not sure what that means for PvP play but I guess it will make the game pretty rushy/ fast so not necessarily bad.

By the way I didn't play campaign on hard yet (still completing feet time around) so it could be more interesting to see what the AI does then if you try to wear them down.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ I read it. lol.

Anyhow, I'm always conservative about losing units and that inturn lets the AI dominate the rice on the field. It gets really difficult for me but if I can destroy all of their units until they run out, then I can overpower them. But for me personally, if I let them grab all the rice I have a nightmare..

9. EnGeneral

EnGeneral Member

Mar 24, 2013
    if anything, the main game is too easy. you can haunt less than half the rice paddies on the field, play conservatively, and gradually overcome their forces, especially with a few demon units (particularly archers; when protected). the AI is very competent but not brilliant. they occasionally make unintelligent moves. i really enjoyed playing through the game but found it did not improve very much in difficulty throughout, merely variety, and i was slightly underwhelmed...

...until i began to tackle the task of gaining 3 gold skulls on every level, aspects of the game opened up. those forcing you to finish in a certain number or turns test your ability to offensively sweep the enemies. when you combine that with not losing a single ally, or the various other challenges, it gets genuinely interesting. some even require multiple attempts, if you didn't gain the skulls the first time, as goals contradict.

i have 3 gold skulls for every level up until the frozen lands, and i'm very happy with the my time spent on this game and the longevity it has -- i haven't attempted the bonus scenario on the forgotten isles, yet. it went from enjoyable to excellent.

artwork, humour and writing are superb, also. gameplay is well balanced and the demon mechanic is great. an akamoto with three actions and a red potion is fearsome.

10. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

It's quite expensive (in terms of number of moves needed) to create new units coz you have to waste attacking opportunities by haunting the rice fields, and then a haunt of a temple or whatever the unit factory is called, and another action to make the unit. I found better to focus on keeping your units grouped, don't split them up to get ALL the rice, and move fairly together so you can always at least treble up attacks each round on smaller groups of enemies (coz they DO tend to split up).

And generally try to get to their general ASAP not taking out EVERY enemy on the way unless it fits with the direction you need to go to find their general anyway. As I assume you know killing the general will end the mission no matter how many other allies he has. Not saying this always works but I definitely don't haunt much rice in my games so far.

11. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Bug report

When you get a timer alert, both sound and music disappear until you restart the app. iOS 6.13

This is not the first game with this issue. Fixing might be easy, others have done it already.

12. Ryan187

Ryan187 Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    How is this on the 6 Plus? It's between this and banner Saga for me.

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Does it run on ios 8.1?

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
  15. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    #215 Luciano1084, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Weird how this thread went completely silent a month after the game's release.. I'd love some recent feedback on this.. Most importantly if it runs ok on ios 8. Where you guys at? Lol.. The game has really good reviews in the App Store and on steam.. Strange how this thread went dead :/

16. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    The game is easily beaten in a fairly short amount of time and the multiplayer, while fun, doesn't warrant much discussion. I love the game, so this isn't an insult to it, but what is there to talk about?

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    So there isn't much replay value huh? I've heard comparisons to XCOM and advanced wars

BTW thanks for the reply :)

18. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    It works on ios8, ive been playing it since it went on sale

19. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Thank you brother.. I'm itching to buy something new.. Downloading :)

20. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    #220 hincy89, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Crashes on iOS 9