Universal Skullgirls (by Hidden Variable/Autumn Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 24, 2017.

1. Osterus

Osterus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Been playing since Beta is this is hands down the best fighting game on ipad/iphone atm... blows IJ2 out of water.

Really responsive gameplay... and Eliza event is soon!

The only negative I have is that there is only 7 characters in the game.

But other than that... the gameplay and visuals is top notch!

2. furredd

furredd Member

Jun 24, 2016
    theres a problem when a character gain a level after a fight. Eg: level up from 6 to 7. when browsing the character details, it would remain at level 6.

EDIT: and the game keep on crashing on my iPhone 5s with lighting turned off.

3. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    The game does still seem to be a little bit buggy.

Also, the official forums are:

http://forum.skullgirlsmobile.com/forums/known-issues-bugs.27/

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #I got Skullgirls on a cloudy day#
    #When it'z cold outside i got the month of May#

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Wow, love the old age of cartoons style! The animations and overall look of this game are fantastic. And the gameplay is nice to boot (though it does take some time to get used to how the characters work - there are times when I can't tell if I'm hitting or being hit, if my controls are responding - sometimes it just seems like I can't get a hit in at all - I think I just need more practice).

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  7. bastian.walker

Dec 19, 2016
    This game isn't very good right now, which is a shame.

The combat system is amazing for mobile, but it's brought down by an extraordinarily defensive, turtling AI, and the difficulty ramps up way, way too fast. I'm barely out of the gate, and already going against teams in beginner story mode of 1300+, with very few ways of getting upgrades. So I try prize fights, only to get handed by AI that blocks absolutely every attack, then counters until I die.

I'm not having much fun, and I loved the original.

8. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    There is so much to absolutely love about this game until you play it for an hour and the AI becomes so frustrating you decide to just stop playing.

I honestly would love to grind to level up, unlock chars, etc... but the f'ing AI makes the game not even remotely fun so soon into the game.

I guess it will sit on my phone for a while in hopes the an update comes along to make the game enjoyable.

9. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I got this on PC earlier today. $3.50 us. It was in a bundle with many other games including Vicera Cleanup Detail. The bundle had the Skullgirls DLC as well. I forget which bundle site it was on.

If you want the "pay once" premium experience, it's alive and well on PC.

10. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #30 brybry, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    The difficulty does ramp up pretty quickly, but I found it fun. I've been an underdog for the entire game, and yet, without spending one dollar, I have 7 characters on average lvl 15. I have hit a few brick walls and I found that different stratagies are needed for different characters and their different perks. Once you wait it out and find your opening, ATTACK!

What a gem!

Now... the game is far from perfect. I found that certain AI are able to block me mid combo while I am caught with my pants down around my ankles if I get my combo blocked from the jump with no way to block the AI's combo. I don't know if that is a bug or just a perk that I don't have yet, either way, it does me dirty.

Other than that, I find the game to be very enjoyable.

11. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    They increased the block rate in this patch.. but it's bearable.. just gotta attack and throw everything at the enemy once you manage to get them out of block.

Or start games blocking and get in a combo after they have finished!

Eliza Event is also out --

:D:D:D

Been waiting for this event for 2 months! hype!

12. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I too was frustrated by the AI Turtling.

Until I saw a message on the load screen about throwing your opponent if they block

So now if I see them blocking I try a throw then try to keep hitting them.

I also try to watch my opponent very carefully - if I see her starting an attack sequence that's when I strike!

13. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    #33 Osterus, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    You can also press down hard and it will do an "unblockable" move.

Works well on some characters like valentine imo.

better than blocking and hoping to attack after they are finished their combo because sometimes u might stop halfway lols...

edit: hmm.. seems to work differently from how I remembered...

Doesn't hard press tap do an unblockable h it?

14. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    This is like worst game ever. AI from the start completely destroys you and i cant even beat tutorials because it forces me to use useless moves. Plus because of weird characters its sometimes hard to tell if they dancing or attacking or whatever they doing. Honestly Injustice 2 is way better

15. bastian.walker

Dec 19, 2016
    1550 treasure battle on Story 4 Basic. Bronze only, one fighter, against two 775 Big Bands.

How, exactly? This is ridiculous for Basic difficulty.

16. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Difficulty fu*king sucks. I'm legitimately good at fighting games in general but thus isn't fun. I want to be able to play and enjoy it, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Devs???????

17. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    The more and more I play it, the more I'm swept off my feet by its charm. It's difficulty still isn't an issue even though I'm working on silver tiers now. It kicks my butt, but I also dish out some whoopins!!

Devs... thank you!!

18. Puke Pile

Puke Pile Member

Jan 15, 2015
    I like this for the most part. The art style and characters have a lot of charm to them and the fighting system is fairly deep for a mobile game.

I've found the AI to be beatable once you've gained a firm grasp of the mechanics and have some powered up fighters (hoping the boxes you open give you something useful instead of the same bronze character over and over - I'm not expecting to get showered in rare gold cards but even a silver once in a while would be nice) but it's a little much for beginners, especially in the Prize Fight mode where it can be downright nasty with split second reactions to counter everything you try to do. Going on the offensive rarely pays off for the player.

I could see people getting quickly discouraged and giving up on the game.

19. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    OPEN some relics man.

Get a chance at silver/gold.

It's honestly not hard to play every day, accumulate gems and level up those silvers!

Also, Prize Event is a good way to level characters.

Plus, Bronze characters can go up to level 30 and are around 780 score. If you can't beat a team at 780 score when you are also 780 score I don't know what to say :cool::cool:

Just keep playing everyday and gaining exp @bastian.walker and you will progress. Some parts you can skip too and continue to other missions.

20. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    the better you do, the better the AI becomes. you start the prize fight and it's Injustice level, you get up to 5 streak win and it's at computerised cheating level(instant reflexes, midcombo throws) that the player can't do.

the story, IF you are lucky to get some good pulls you can beat the main paths, but go off to the side for 100% and it becomes ridiculusly difficult.

Now combine that with the xp rate slowing to a crawl after the story mission unless you fuse characters.

As it is a collectible - upgradeable battler like IJ and MKX, and not a pure one like SF, the joy comes from completing events and getting new characters to power up. The difficulty should be reserved for a new pvp arena mode, with its own rewards -much like IJ and MKX. Otherwise, this game will quickly shut down because of players leaving it for the easier collectibles of its competition.

Thankfully, -because the devs aren't here- Osterus and a few others are vocal about the difficulty in the game's official forums. Let's see how it will play out in the near future.