Universal Skullduggery! (by Clutch Play Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Dunno... Motivated to do so??

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! My issue is a bit complicated, I have severe hypermobllity and was, for too long, using incorrect canes/crutches while walking and those took the already painful thumb areas and made them worse. My pain is fine if I don't use them for an extended period of time, but even after a few weeks, one extended session of using then and I'm back to my problem, and due to other issues I can't even take ibuprofen =\

It's not all bad news, I spend far less on games now, so I've got that goin' for me! :)

The thing is, if this one does have a reasonable difficulty, I might be able to play it, I'm assuming there's no way to adjust the difficulty level?

3. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    In the first level that has the moving walls, I get past the first several walls fine, but I'm stuck on on one that seems to triple in speed as soon as I release my finger to launch. Even if I skip all of the side paths, and just focus on shooting for the exit, I still get crushed. Is that normal? I accept that my reflexes might be too slow for this game, but for that to happen so early on is annoying.

4. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I hear ya! I really wish devs would make the effort to add difficulty levels to games like this... why painstakingly make so many great levels if a portion of your audience (probably me) will only get to see four or five? Then the player is frustrated and the devs hard work goes unseen...

I'm still waiting to get some reviews on the game's difficulty before buying... I know there is a certain macho gamer attotude of not wanting to say a game gets too tough but I'm hoping in this forum some wont be afraid to speak their mind. ;-)

Hang in there friend...

5. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    See this is what worries me... There is a video of the game and it shows this section. Have you watched this? Maybe there is a destructible section you can smash though. Please follow up your post so I know if something clicked and you got through it - this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

I'm waiting for the dev to assure me the game will stay enjoyable for at least half it's length before it gets too frustratingly hard.

What say ye dev? ;-)

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This game is so damn good. The only thing I wish is to be able to change the sensitivity of the controls. On my iPad mini, I think that I have to pull back too far. I wish I could make it mor sensitive. Since this is also a game where you need to move fast, I think it would be a good idea to add that.

7. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    So how far did you get int the game? Would you consider yourself an "average" gamer or are you like a 13 year old after drinking a case of Jolt soda?

Did your phone or iPad ever leave your hand while playing... as in flinging it against the wall?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how demanding it is. I don't mind not be able to get all the chests in the game (unless that locks me out of upcoming levels) but I'd like to be able to at least make it to the end of most of them.

Thanks

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I didn't quote your whole post because it's already been quoted a couple times. First off, you're not crap at writing! Quite the contrary in fact. Thanks for your very well written overview/impressions of the game. I've been interested in Skullduggery! ever since TA announced it a few months ago(?), and it was on my short list of games I planned on downloading this week.

I'm excited to try this out. Gonna pick it up as soon as I'm done posting this. Lots of great releases this week! Take care, I'll be ever so slightly below you on the leaderboards, as usual. :)

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Hi Colin. I know what you mean about level 1-4, and other levels that have the wall chasing you. The most important thing to remember is the slow motion feature, when it's in effect everything slows down, including the wall.

I made this video of the level in question and hope that it gives you some idea of how I would normally tackle that kind of level, and maybe it'll give you some gameplay tips for the game going forward. If you need help with anything else, let me know. Cheers. :)

To anyone else asking about difficulty: this is usually a tough question for me. Give me some time and I'll try to give some impressions on that. :)

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I've got to admit, I didn't insta-buy this as I initially planned to.

I have one question that's holding me up and hopefully some great TAer can push me over the edge...what, if any, replay value is there to the game? I take it that it's level based so is there any reason in playing the levels more than once? Thanks to any who comment, in advance :)

11. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #51 coolpepper43, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Heck ya, lots of replay. Each level has 3 secondary missions stamps to collect and items to recover, I think secret areas also. Also their is two player mode where you can play with a friend on the same device. And you can unlock over 15 different skulls to play as.

12. Anotherkellydown

Having problems with downloading save data from my iPad save to my phone. Says "Download failed - unable to complete operation at this time". Anyone else?

13. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, you came through for me buddy, you just gave me that extra little nudge ;) I'll be back to share my thoughts in a bit. Thanks cp.

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I hope you like it buddy!!! :)

15. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hmm.. How to put this... OUTSTANDING! I was worried about replayability coming into this, that's not a concern any longer :)

Now my only concern is which game gets my GOTW nod, this or Pixel Boat Rush? This is one with no clear-cut answer. Both are fantastic, fully-featured games that took spots on my iPhone "Favorites" page. Well I've still got a few days to decide, during which I plan to play both alot more. Great job Clutch Play :)

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Lol, I'm so happy you like it. Have you played the first boss?

17. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    About nine times, I'm really close, just need one really good run...

18. Anotherkellydown

#58 Anotherkellydown, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Anyone encountering this issue? I'd like to play the game on my iPhone 5 when my iPad isn't available. Wondering if it's just a Game Center thing. Thanks

Edit: I Contacted Clutch Play Games about this. Quite possible it's not a problem on the game's side. I don't want to steer anyone away from downloading Skullduggery! It is a ton of fun, just frustrated I can't play it on my phone #

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I have to ask, how did you guys come up with the brain stretching from the back of the skull idea? Did you see something gruesome in real life?

20. BernieClutchPlay

BernieClutchPlay New Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Skullduggery! dev here. One of the original mechanics we were exploring was a skeleton walking around in the world who would take off his head and then throw it around the world. I believe this was inspired by an old timey cartoon from the 30's or so (think Mickey Mouse - steamboat willy era) . This mechanic just ended up not giving us the fluidity and flexibility we felt the game needed. Once we took the head off the body, we started to move towards the mechanic you see in the product now. I'm not actually sure if there was a direct inspiration for the brain stretching, but we needed something elastic in the skull to make it fling-able, so it just kind of happened. I'll ask our designer today if there was anything specific.