Universal Skiing Yeti Mountain (by Featherweight Games Pty Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Featherweight, May 20, 2015.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    If someone told me thirty three years ago that I'd still be playing Horace Goes Skiing today then I'd have laughed my head off, but I am, and it is absolutely phenomenal. Top quality gear in every respect.

2. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Got dammit!

Another purchase.

Although this one came with some reluctance, because I knew something would
    happen to the Ad guy if i ponied up that double cheeseburger money.

He was awesome.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The game is great.
    But they can make a better icon that that. Was thinking Gary's face would be cool?

4. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    This is a lovely little game but it needs an endless mode.

5. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Fun game. Really wish it had achievements via GC though...

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Fun game, enjoying this more than I should!

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    First of all congrats on making a GREAT game. It is on the Australian App Store in the Best New Games section which should make you super happy. These are my thoughts on your game including some suggestions for the future. :)

I like
    - The bit style to the game. Its the new thing ever since Pocket Planes etc but I really like it and I haven't seen it used in a Skiing game before.
    - Skiing. It is unique to say the least. There aren't many skiing games on the app store so credit to you guys for making one.
    - The sound effects. Especially the WACK when you hit a tree.
    - Depth of the game. Good amount of levels and challenges.
    - Controls. The touch and drag control is good and easy to get the hand of.
    - Characters. Each has their own quirky characteristics which I really like

I Dont like
    - The text sounds. I find it incredibly irritating, but that might just be me.
    - GameCenter. We need some achievements. PLEASE :p

Some suggestions
    - Level ratings. Maybe time how long it takes people to get down mountains. Put 3 different tiers per level. I like the current countdown system but I feel this system would make it so the player doesn't feel like they have failed but instead are making progress to the certain time.
    - Leaderboards. Have leaderboards. This can be linked in with Game Center. That way you can see who is the fasted each level and create social competition and send out challenges to friends who haven't got the app.
    - Daily challenges. Challenges which users go back to each day to complete. Maybe reward them with special items if they complete all weekly challenges etc?

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Have you found the challenge levels? Click the skull icon on te map screen after reaching level 35.

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeah I found them.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Cool. They've got the leaderboards and multiple time tiers to aim for.

I quite like having the challenge/time trial mode separate from the main story mode, and less challenging limits on the story mode. It means you can enjoy the story without getting bogged down trying to eke out every last 1/100th of a second on each level, but still have the challenge of aiming for perfect runs on the challenge slopes when you're in that mood.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #31 L.Lawliet, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    I was skeptical but this game is so fun. And it's challenging yet easy to play.

I can't tell how long it is but I hope it lasts a loooong time. One of my favorite ios sports games now.

Edit: It would be cool if each level next to it showed your best time just for fun. I don't need leader boards for it. That way if I get bored I can try to top the scores in each story map.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I am properly in love with this game. I spent an hour or so yesterday just trying to beat AndyC83's time on the first challenge level (to no avail) and was absolutely delighted to see that that Gabrien chap who used to recommend (and otherwise) blinding games on TA here is not only still playing iOS games but can top an AndyC83 score here or there too. I actually get the same feeling playing this that I got when I played Mikey Shorts - I just didn't want it to end. Blinding game.
    Slalomraman

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Haha, good old Gabe. This post just made my day. :)

14. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm so pleased to see he can still smell the quality - because sometimes I can't!
    Can't get under 8 seconds in that first challenge. My eldest asked what it was like after the first few challenge levels - downhill, I told him.

15. CookingPie

CookingPie Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2014
    #35 CookingPie, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Can't believe how much I love this game too. I think it's the thumb control - it's perfect for a ski game.
    I agree that the noise made when the text is appearing in a speech bubble is nothing but annoying. I think we have Nintendo to blame for that game convention. I would appreciate an option to turn it off in the settings ( without turning off the sound effects which are great - especially the sound of carving up the snow- thats almost perfect!)

And mentioning "Horace goes skiing" in this thread- LoL. That was the best Horace game (even better than Horace and the spiders which got repetitive )

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This is possibly my favorite game of the year, top 5 for sure. So easy and challenging at the same .

17. Samulaan

Samulaan Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Bali
    I feel you man! This is beast.

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Does anyone know how many levels are on the regular mountain?

19. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I think around 800 or so. I'm only on a hundred and odd.

20. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I think you just sold me on this game. Off to download now. :)