Single Player RPG games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by marc512, May 11, 2009.

1. marc512

marc512 Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Is there any offline RPG games for the itouch?
    I dont have a wifi location for miles, and i like rpg games but most you need a connection...
    Is there any single player rpg games?

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    While there are quite a few I'd recommend Vay.

The reason being that it's a full game (it was on Sega cd) and has been put for quite a while so it won't need an update anytime soon. That way you won't have to deal with a buggy game and finding wifi in order to download a patch, IF there is a patch available when you are able to get a signal

3. Coachflaps

Coachflaps Active Member

May 6, 2009
    USAF
    FL
    The only one I've tried so far is Underworlds, it's a hack and slash ala Diablo (which is not a bad thing). If you can wait there's a game called Zenonia coming out sometime soon that looks pretty sweet, IGN Zenonia preview

4. Xander

Xander Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    The Quest (full version, lite version) is quite engaging and deep. $6 might seem steep, so I posted the lite version so you can test drive it. I could talk about this game for pages, so I'll just say it's a pseudo-3D, nonlinear rpg. Definitely worth checking out, if only the lite version.

If you're looking for something a little more pick-up-and-play there's Rogue Touch which is an homage to all the Rogue games, and the roguelikes. There's also a free Rogue game, but it's not the same game (but will give you an idea of what to expect at the very least).

Also there's PuzzleQuest (full, lite) which is really less of an RPG and more of a match-3 game, but it has rpg elements (leveling up, stat distribution, magic spells, and even a story!). And that game too has a price that might seem steep, so again, I added the lite version so you can at least give it a try.

That's about all I can really think of worth mentioning. Someone already mentioned Underworlds which is a pretty good action/rpg game. And waiting for zenonia, if waiting is an option, may be a good idea, too.

5. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Wait for zenonia, I'm beta testing it right now, theres a video in my sig if you wanna see, anyways, its great definately worth whatever price tag theyre setting for it.

6. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    There is also Legion of Amon, a RPG coming out later this year. It is being made by On The Rocks LLC, of TiltaFun fame.

7. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm quite keen to see this game. Ever since a few teaser screen images were posted by the dev.

However, Legion of Amon is not out yet. So although it looks interesting, my vote is for a game that is out now. The Quest is awesome. Try the lite version if you are not sure.

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #8 Isilel, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Second the Quest if you like WRPGs. Second Puzzle Quest. Both have Lites, so you can make sure whether you'd like them before purchasing.

Zenonia... well folks promise that it will be the best thing since sliced bread and it certainly looks pretty enough. But from what I have seen in the trailers, I have my doubts about the gameplay. Time will tell...

9. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Rouge Touch or The Quest. Vay lacks any polish.

10. Shush

Shush Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I assume if you have posted this now then you don't want to wait around for Zenonia. I would suggest Vay, its proberly the highest rated RPG on the app store. And how that guy above can recommend Rouge Touch and say that Vay lacks polish is crazy, Rouge Touch is proberly one of the worst games I have ever played. Vay is an old school classic, think of the old Final Fantasys and thats what Vay will remind you of. Puzzle Quest is something else thats quite good, its not an RPG but it has RPG traits like being able to level up and do spells, that worth checking out. It has over 40 hours of gameplay and they will be adding the third chapter on so that will add another 20 hours more then likely, not many games on the Appstore offer that kinda value. And as for The Quest, I couldn't really get into it myself, as everybody else is saying theres a Lite Version so you could check that out. But personally, I think Vay is the best at the moment. You should look around the internet and get reviews on it.

11. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    #11 skamando, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    I'd just like to say to those dissing on Rogue Touch and Vay-

You both say neither game has polish. I would like to respectfully disagree. Rogue Touch is merely a remake of the old school computer game Rogue, which must have come out in the late eighties, and Vay is a cult classic rpg that must have come out in the early nineties. Both of these games have gone out of their way to remain truthful to their original forms. They could have easily improved the graphics of Roogue tenfold, but chose not to, in order to keep that retro and nostalgic feeling you get from playing it. For Vay, they improved the game graphically to a degree, but the option to change the graphics back to the original sprites is available, so that it keeps it's orignal form. Their interfaces and HUDs are both very nice and clean, so, there is nothing wrong with their "polish".

Now, back to the discussion.

Both Vay and Rogue are RPG's, as in, you gain levels, collect equipment, and fight creatures. Vay, however, is a more in-depth, story-driven, turn-based RPG, a la Final Fantasy, making it better in the long term. Rogue is dungeon-crawling, loot-collecting, extremely simplistic RPG. It is better in the short term and good for quick runs through the randomly-generated dungeon. Consider that in your choice for purchases.

12. nidreu

nidreu Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Rogue Touch, probably my favorite app on iTunes. I've played and beaten Inotia and Zenonia (beta testing), and I would say without a doubt Rogue is my favorite of the three. At the end of the day Inotia and Zenonia are alright, they just don't offer enough of a challenge, its just a grind.

13. vladtheimpaler

May 9, 2009
    For a first person RPG game you could try "Temple of Arkadoom" (full). I welcome any comments about it.

Vlad (developer of Temple of Arkadoom).

14. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Really, a lot of this is going to depend on your definition of RPG. I'm also listing this simply because they are available, not necessarily because I recommend them. It's more just to give you an example of what's out there.

Opal's Quest
    SimDungeon
    CrappyRPG (not kidding, that's the name)
    Sorcerer #1 (Wireframe Wizardry clone)
    Loot Master
    DragonBane II
    Phat Loot

Now I personally wouldn't recommend any of those (except maybe DragonBane II, though I've only played the Pocket PC version), and I'm guessing neither would anyone else since they haven't shown up on any lists yet. However, they're all available, and I think most are 99 cents right now, so you might find something in that list that's better than nothing.

15. Baoshao

Baoshao Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Jersey City, NJ
    My vote would have to go to The Quest. I've never been so enthralled by a game. I generally lose interest in a game quickly, but I was happily willing to invest all my available time on The Quest and never got bored (frustrated maybe, since some of the quests were just difficult to solve, but that was part of the fun!).

$5.99 may seem steep for an iDevice game, but it is NOT the case at all with The Quest. Believe me, you'd get much more than your money's worth (It actually has been quite difficult for me to purchase any new games since I finished The Quest, because most of them just seem too "expensive" compared to what I can get from the $5.99 I paid for The Quest). Plus, the developers have promised never to drop its price, so the sooner you buy the game the better (because you get to enjoy it NOW!).

I, along with many others, are also anxiously waiting for the release of the expansion pack. Can't believe Apple rejected it. :(

I've also purchased Puzzle Quest and enjoyed it for a while before The Quest. However, the battles got too repetitive too soon, and I agree with Xander, it is really not so much of an RPG.

16. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    opals quest is deffinitly a good one iv been enjoying it, i didnt find chronicles of inotia much fun at all.. dungeons and heros was good but controls were a bit hard

17. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Rouge Touch has lots of developer support and is quite polished. Vay is crap and has little support. FF RPGs came out in the early 90s and looked much better than that. Vay is a garbage RPG and the interface is very ugly. If they wanted a Sega RPG to port there were dozens that were better (starting with Lunar)

18. arc417

arc417 Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    ast. coach and student
    FRISCO
    I just hope they fix the english scrolling in dialogue boxes:(

19. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    how could you doubt zenonia take a bet testers word the gameplay is awesome i will admit the game isnt perfect but it is totally epic

20. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    I think The Quest all the way. It has an in depth Storyline, Alchemy, lots of classes, 5 races, its basically like Oblivion, except not as good graphics, but it is still 3D, and it will suck you in if you love those types of games. It also has many sidequests, dungeons, plenty of loot to collect (for them WoW fans) and a large world, full of sinster creatures just waiting to slaughter you (prove em wrong!)

There is also a lite version which contains only the limits of the first city. In my opinion thats a pretty big chunk they gave away. Try that before you drop the cash down for the full version.