Simplenote! Better than iPhone Notes with sync and search

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Kruder, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    brewster,

What's so great about copy & paste with the web app? The fact that I can go to Google on my Mac, search for a list of restaurants to visit, and copy & paste the entire web page into Simplenote's web app and have it sync instantly with the iPhone. I have loads of information to read on the go, all gathered and edit with a full-sized keyboard and screen.

I'm not trying to avoid providing new features. The question is, how useful is it to our users? So far, every user I've talked to has thorougly enjoyed using our app. We have glowing reviews on the app store because we've focused on the fundamentals: Making a searchable note taking application that syncs seamlessly with the web. It works brilliantly because we pour all our effort into doing a few key things very well. I think our sync and search is absolutely the best. Ask our users.

One of the major issues with being a developer is weighing pros & cons of every feature that we decide to implement and support. You should see the meetings we have at Cloud Factory - we are constantly debating what's best for the users.

As of now, there are no major pros that outweigh the cons for copy & paste. It's pretty neutral and its future is uncertain within the iPhone OS - for all we know Apple could finally implement it system-wide in the next update, and be certain Simplenote users will be copy & pasting to their hearts' content :)

I hope this answers your questions and concerns. I want you to understand I am not ignoring you in any way, I'm just trying to show how we have to handle these issues from a developer's point of view.

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, the system supports copy and paste, so I can't call that a feature. And it is possible that Apple may implement copy and paste, but unlikely. If they do, then ever app with copy and paste is just an early proof of concept. Plus jailbreak hasn't come up with anything, so I don't see Apple being able to either. But it is your choice, and I don't see any cons to copy and paste, either.

3. Hey everyone, this is a quick Simplenote update! We received a thorough, glowing review from John Gruber at Daring Fireball today:
    http://daringfireball.net/2009/07/simplenote

In particular:
    "I’ve tried a slew of iPhone note editing apps, and not only is Simplenote my favorite, it might be my favorite third-party iPhone app, period. It’s that good."

So if you want something better than the built-in Notes application, but you don't like the bloat of Evernote and other notes apps, give Simplenote a try!

4. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Well i bought it and the idéa is great but you have to work on the webapp.
    When im trying to edit a note on the web it doesent save it, it just say "error" under the note.
    Im gonna try it tomorrow again to see if it works better again.

5. Khayman

Nov 15, 2008
    Jupp, it works better today.
    Im going to try it out a couple of days and then compare it to Notespark that ive been using for a year now.

6. Good, I'm happy it's working for you. So far our servers have been holding up since the review.

Let us know how your comparison goes. We're getting a lot of great ideas for simple features to add, and we'll be making some ongoing changes and additions in future updates.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi, here's a quick request:
    Can you include a toggle for fixing the orientation of the screen? Some kind of lock on the title bar to do a quick set, or maybe even put it in your settings to have it free-orientation / Lock Portrait / Lock Landscape?

Another one off the top of my head:
    Can you have a "swipe to delete" function on the main list? I'd like to use that to clear up the many quick tips and notes made on the go, that I don't need anymore. Having to go into the note to delete it sometimes seems abit longwinded relative to other apps.

But I'm loving this app anyway because its quick, and I have a readily available backup of the notes I make. Good job!

8. The orientation lock is an interesting request that we haven't seen before. Is the issue that sometimes it changes when you don't want it to?

We'll definitely be adding the swipe to delete feature in a forthcoming update.

I'm happy you're loving the app so far!

9. Khayman

Nov 15, 2008

I do agree on everything this man say!

10. Hi all! Last month Simplenote was ranked in the top 5 Productivity apps around the world. If you ever need to get text from your device to your computer, or vice-versa, Simplenote is the best way to do it!

If you're still using Apple's built-in Notes app or something more cumbersome like Evernote, now would be a great time to try Simplenote. Version 2.11 was released today with a whole bunch of fixes and improvements.

On top of that, 3rd party developers have started creating extras on top of the app. There's a backup/exporter available now, with more coming soon.

You can find more details at our newly designed website:
    http://www.simplenoteapp.com

The itunes link is here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289429962&mt=8

Thanks for reading!
    Mike

11. Khayman

Nov 15, 2008
  12. Hi again Khayman, I'm happy you like Simplenote.

Notemaster looks OK if you really need to sync images and you use Google Documents a lot.

Simplenote will never support images though. We aim to be the best, simple, text-only note app. This lets it stay fast, clean, and easy-to-use.

For example, syncing is really easy in Simplenote. You just enter an email and password, and everything after that is automatic! In comparison, I noticed that Notemaster has a sync setup page that is a few pages long because it relies on Google Documents.

If anyone's interested in reading a comparison of lots of iPhone and iPod touch notes apps, there's a great article here:
    http://smokingapples.com/iphone/app-store-iphone/notes-roundup-review/

(spoiler: Simplenote comes out on top!)

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    ok nice link to review / comparison

hmmmm......will think about this :)

14. Khayman

Nov 15, 2008
    I se now what you meen.
    You aim at people who whants it to be easy, and you have reached it!
    I still have a huge problem choosing between your app for simplicity and Notemaster for its possibilitys.
    Im accually leening towards Simplenote :)
    Sorry about my bad english, im from sweden.

15. Hi everyone! We're proud to announce that Simplenote is now free to download.

In addition, we've made all sorts of improvements since this thread was first posted. Everything about the app is faster and cleaner. And there are a growing number of 3rd-party apps being developed on top of Simplenote (in case you want to access notes on your desktop).

Here's an app store link for those who are interested! There's more info at our website. If you're still using the built-in Notes app, give Simplenote a try!