Simplenote! Better than iPhone Notes with sync and search

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Kruder, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm here to promote our app, Simplenote. It's the easy-to-use, syncable, searchable notes app for iPhone and iPod Touch. The iPhone app syncs with our Simplenote web app, which is included with the purchase of the iPhone app.

Please check out our website, it has demo videos and a thorough FAQ section:
    www.simplenoteapp.com

Thanks for your consideration, and I'd be glad to answer any questions that arise.

- Kruder

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Am curious about this applicaton.

I'm sure you know about Evernote, which I assume to be (or will be) one of your biggest competitors.

Can you give a quick run-down on why I should switch from Evernote to Simplenote?

3. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Good question!

The most important differentiating point for Simplenote vs. Evernote is search. Evernote cannot search without a web connection - and when it does, it's quite slow. Simplenote's search is literally instantaneous and works just as well offline.

Secondly, you cannot edit Evernote notes on the iPhone. To me this is a huge dealbreaker! I'm constantly on the go. If I have a great idea I want to jot down, I add it to my "Ideas" note in Simplenote. With Evernote I'd have to create a new note each time...

A lot of people ask "well, Evernote has voice and picture notes too!" I personally don't ever use voice or picture notes. If you do, then Evernote is for you. If you're a text-only notes user, then Simplenote is for you.

We are going to be releasing an API soon which will allow any developer to integrate Simplenote into desktop applications, such as Yojimbo for the Mac or OneNote for Windows. But for me, the web app is just perfect for what I need. I can copy/paste notes, and type huge notes if I want to, without having to deal with the small iPhone keyboard :)

Hope that answered your question!

4. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Hmm....it looks pretty impressive!

5. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
  6. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Does it sync with outlook? If it syncs with outlook, I'll get it and many other people.

7. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Oops! That's not a derail, thanks for the heads-up. Well, I guess that's something that lots of users wanted, so they got it. Kudos to them!

8. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Hi,

No, out-of-the-box it does not sync with Outlook, but if you know a master developer who knows how to use Outlook's API, we can definitely work with them to get Simplenote syncing with it!

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, this may be what I'm looking for. Does it have copy and paste? If not consider using the code that MagicPad released for copy and paste on iPhone. If it had c/p, I'd get it for sure.

10. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Excuse my ignorance. I didn't know it was such a complicated matter.

11. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Thank you, that did. I also only use text notes. As has already been mentioned, you can actually edit notes in Evernote on the mobile version. The only catch is it has to be a non-styled note (no indent, no lists, no font styles) to edit the text, otherwise all you can do is append something new to the old note.

I'm going to do a little more research before making a decision, but thanks for clarifying. :)

12. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I like this. Cool dev too. I never use evernote which i deleted for the exact reasons that kruder listed. I use magic pad alot tho. Its quite good. Do you hav copy and paste cuz i was wondering if you had that also? Ill probly pick this up too btw. Sry for the messy writing jus typin off the top of my head

13. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Hi all,

In regards to Evernote, another issue I don't like is you have to keep track of which notes you'd like to sync. You need to star each note on the application which you'd like to have synced to your mobile device. I'd rather have all my notes sync and not worry about it. The beauty of Simplenote is you know that what you have on your iPhone/iPod Touch is an exact mirror of what's on the web app, and vice versa. I absolutely love our new web app because I just copy + paste large notes in there so it saves me all the typing on the phone.

In regards to MagicPad's copy + paste, it looks like a very logical and slick implementation. But my question is, how useful is copy + paste? You can only do it from note to note. How often do you copy and paste between notes? I've never needed it.

14. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    if this app synced to mobileme, i would buy it straight away, thats what im really looking for, to create and edit notes and have them sent to my mobileme account!!!

15. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'm a little confused, since all my notes sync and I only have one note starred.

I thought the star was just a favorite feature. Any note starred shows up on the favorite tab.

Even the non-starred notes sync to my device just fine.

16. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    For those who have purchased the app could you post your opinions? I'm interested in getting a notes app that syncs and this one seems to be pretty well made. Can you sort your notes in categories in this app?

17. pfhendr

pfhendr New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    This is a great little app! I love being able to access/edit my notes from the web and syncing to my Touch.

One minor problem I found was when I entered some of my programming notes I got an error saving anything with the '<' and '>' characters, possibly more but that's what I noticed so far. Maybe it's throwing off the HTML tags....

If you could fix it that would be great.

Other than that great work!

18. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Hi, it would really help us out if you could copy + paste into an email the exact code or text that's screwing up. Please send it to [email protected]

We'll get back as soon as possible with a fix!

Thanks.

19. Kruder

Kruder Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I've noticed some purchases from touch arcade - how are you guys liking it?

20. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I would get it, but I need Copy and paste. The Magicpad people have open sourced their c/p code, just implement it. You add that, and I'll get it.