iPad Simple is Better?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dio, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Would you say that simple easy apps are better?
    Or do you like the really in depth, more complicated games.

I'm just wondering and i'd like to know what people prefer.

I personally like the simple games a lot, (like iCopter, CubeRunner, Pocket God, BobbleSurfer) because they're just so fun to just pick up and play.

But I still do like my more sophisticated games to, like Aurora Feint, iShoot, Reign of Swords

2. Depends on what you're into -- and more importantly what you're into at any given moment. Sometimes I like a simple game that's easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, because sometimes I only have a few minutes to fill. Sometimes I like more in-depth games when I've got the time to concentrate on them.

It just depends on the situation I'm in at the time.

3. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Well, how bout for when your "shopping" for apps. what is more appealing to you at the time.

4. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Question: Does edge qualify as simple?

5. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I prefer more in depth games. There are already WAY too many casual games on the iPhone. We need more games like Hero of Sparta and Brothers in arms, but also games like Rolando which are simple but are more in depth.

6. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    im glad u like edge

my favorite games are a mix

but its easier to get addicted to simple games

7. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    very true, im thinking about buying edge, it seeems like a game that would float my boat.

8. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    ye, let me give u some advice. just buy it. great game. i have a review up on my site.

Ummmm

i like icopter, bubblehead. they r fun simple and addicting

9. Quality, mainly. Without a lite version or a developer sending me a promo code, I'm pretty much left to gauge by screenshots, user reviews (which are totally hit or miss because, let's face it, there are a lot of morons leaving reviews) and possibly reviews on other websites. Generally, when I'm browsing apps, I'll check things out in this order:

- Screenshot(s). Does it look interesting enough to look any deeper?
    - Description. If the screenshot isn't terrible, I'll read what it's about. If the description is informative and the concept sounds like something I could dig, then I'll check even further.
    - Reviews. Both on the App Store and other sites. Good? Bad?

If it fails on all counts (or fails spectacularly on any single one of them) then it's a pass from me. If it's kind of iffy I might try it anyway just to formulate my own opinion. I do tend to err on the side of caution though, so of something's right on the borderline I'm more likely to pass on it.

There are certain things I will tend to pass on as a matter of course: Dumb apps about bodily functions, sound boards (except iPity -- because it's Mister T, man!), social networking apps (just too damn many across too damn many niche groups, and I'm only interested in ones I'm already a member of), flashlights, 8-balls, pictures of wood, jiggling boobies, match 3 games (the shark, it is 50 nautical miles behind you sir), and other such things will generally fail to catch my interest right off the bat.

10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    That is very true, sometimes its just those unique apps that stick out and convince me to buy them.

11. That's a highly subjective thing though. There are a times when there's just something about a particular game or app that tweaks my curiosity and I'll just have to check it out. That's kind of hit or miss sometimes, but generally speaking, if it's able to reach that switch inside my head, it's probably got something a little bit special. I'm pretty jaded -- I've been a gamer since the early 80s, I've been a reviewer on and off for the last decade and a half, I've been a programmer (and will be again soon), so I've seen a vast amount of stuff, good and bad, over the years. It takes a little something extra to grab my attention; I'm not so easily amused as I once was (for the most part; there are still some things I'm a sucker for :)), so if something seems to have "it", I'm more likely to jump at it.

What "it" is, is pretty personal though; your "it" is probably different from mine, and I'm sure with most people it can sometimes change over time or even from day to day.

12. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Depends in what way you define simple. There are games with unbelievable simple rules and gameplay, but can be complex at the same time due to good level design, strategic depth, etc. (you get the idea...).

Generally i'd say i go for games that will presumably last longer than games that can be finished pretty quickly (missing leaderboards, no story, no complexity, etc.). Being a gamer for over 20 years i appreciate titles that can give me that certain satisfaction either story, gameplay or design wise. At that point it does not matter if the principle or the rules to the game are easy or complex. Granted most times if the principle itself is complex enough, the game often seems more suited to me.

So to summarize it, i'd say i like 'Bang for the Buck'...

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    It depends on a game genre. RPG games, for instance, requires good story plot and graphics. Puzzle game such as Kakuro, Sudoku and Sokoban doesn't really need great graphic. Just simple outline would do the job.

14. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

It depends on what I'm looking for and in what mood I am. For example, on the subway I hate playing accerometer based games, because I don't have so much room :).

On the toilet, I don't want to wait for ages for this game to load itself. I want to play NOW and for a few minutes. This of course involves small games, like Scoops or Smiles or SlotZ, with no story but just me against the time or against the highscores.

On the subway I like puzzle games like Edge, Bobby Carrot or Smiles. On the Nintendo DS I also played Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros a lot on the subway, but there's no such thing in the AppStore.

When I travel, I like to play longer, more involving games, like Westwards, or a nice adventure (no such thing in the AppStore) or a good action-rpg (no such thing in the AppStore, with maybe the exception of Arvale). Pinball Dreams/Fantasies might also be a thing for longer sessions.

15. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#15 Alichan, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
    I agree with you on Rolando, but did you really enjoy HoS and BIA? I know not everyone has a PSP, so perhaps those people would appreciate this genre on the iDevice. For me, I can't help comparing HoS with God of War - Chains of Olympus for the PSP, regardless of the price difference and the subsequent amount of time and money put into it. Perhaps an unfair comparison.....no....definitely an unfair comparison I know, but regardless, with this in mind does it not make you feel like these sorts of games are just not destined to be iDevice games?

16. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Right now I have too many games on my phone. Aparently...I don't know what I want. I just stare at all of the pretty icons, close my eyes, and pick a game. They are all good!

However, sometimes I want a deep, sophisticated app for a long trip or something. I have found that the best time wasters are the ones you never expect...like smiles, pocket god, tanzen, aurora feint, motionx poker, etc.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My main complaint with Hero of Sparta were the periodic frame rate drops (1st gen iTouch user) and the fact that it ended so soon (was too short). The 2nd fact means that I enjoyed the game. Is it God of War? No. But it was fun for what it was. Brothers in Arms got better once I got used to the dual control method available in the menu (better control method for that game, IMHO).

Are they "made" for this platform? Not really. They'd probably work better, on DS and PSP from a control standpoint. That said, there's nothing like those games in the mobile game market from what I have seen, and thus it fills a niche within this market. Remember, iTouch/Phone isn't in the portable game system market. It's not a portable game system, was not designed with the focus on being a game system in mind. It's a viable platform for games, however, and is much like the PC gaming market in that regard and, from the looks of things, falls neatly into place within the mobile gaming market (although iTouch's status as primarily a portable media player and not a mobile phone kind of throws a kink into that category). Like PCs, the iTouch/Phone and other mobile devices are not primarily designed as a game player, but because of the attributes of the devices, and the desire among game designers and consumers, they are viable platform for games (this is why, btw, the game industry counts the home console market and PC market as two completely separate markets, as it does the portable and mobile markets).

Now, while there are obviously some things are better suited to focused game systems than platforms which are viable for gaming but not focused primarily on that medium, that does not mean that there isn't a demand, however slight, for such games. On the PC side of things, you still had gamers who wanted platformers, shmups, and fighters, all of which worked better in other markets (home console and arcades). Still, there was enough consumer demand that such demand could not be ignored, and we did get a few gems here and there (Jazz Jackrabbit, for instance). On the other side of the equation you may have things like RTS which work better on non-specific platforms for gaming like PCs than they do home consoles, yet we still see a few RTS games for home consoles trickle through (like the upcoming Halo Wars, for instance).

When I think iTouch/Phone gaming I tend to think more along the lines of stuff like Chuck the Ball or Up There or newtonica2 or Blue Attack!. That said, I need a yin to the yang, y'know. Every once in a while I want a deeper experience. And that's where Gameloft, EA, Sega, Pangea, etc. come in to fill that niche.

18. Omnithrope

Omnithrope Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I just like... fun games.

It doesn't matter to me if it's "simple" or "complex" before I buy it. That doesn't enter into my decision-making process.

19. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#19 Alichan, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
    Hi spiffyone,

Lot's of good points there. I too think 'puzzlers, top-down shooters' and the like when thinking about iTouch/Phone gaming. And likewise, I occasionally feel the need to dabble in something with a bit more depth. But that's where it goes wrong for me. The problem being that so far, I haven't felt a sense of satisfaction from any of the 'deeper' games as yet. This damn machine (I'm on an iPod Touch 1st Gen too) promises so much, and leaves us all (I speak for myself here) chomping at the bit for more more more....

You rightly point out that there are game genres out there that have crossed over the platform gap (RTS's on consoles, FPS's on PC's etc), and I am very curious how the iTouch/Phone market will evolve in this respect. Whilst there have been many successful genre cross-overs between other platforms (I use platform in the loosest sense of the term), I await ever eagerly for the iTouch/Phone to do the same:)

20. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    My brother has a PSP. I don't like the PSP much, it's alright but when it comes to PSP vs iPhone, the iPhone wins for me. I've played God of War on the PSP. The game is fun but Hero of Sparta is a nice game that fits into the same style as God of War and BIA, if you can control it, is pretty fun. Beat Rolando, BIA, and HOS. All great games.