iPad Simcity update

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by brewstermax, Jan 1, 2009.

?

Has this update decreased the number of crashes?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

An update was just released. It claims to have improved stability. If you have it, has it helped you any? I never had crashing issues, so I don't really know.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hopefully they fixed the traffic issues.

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I hope this update prevents lagging too. That's a problem when you're moving the city around :p

[Edit] I just checked the app store and it still says v1.0.0 and I don't have any updates that need to be downloaded either.

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The new version is 1.3. I dunno why, but they went big with this. No new features to speak of.

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the update available on my comp. I'm downloading it now.

6. bhagwad

bhagwad Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    The update hasn't helped me. The game crashed a few minutes after opening my 300,000 population city that is almost 300 years.

7. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Good to hear! (About your city crashing) Seems like EA is working hard, as usual.

On that note, I've been holding off on this for a couple reasons, one it's $10, 2 the crashes, and three it says to have the most up to date iTunes software (which I have held off on because updating my Touch to 2.2 was a nightmare).

Do you NEED the new iTunes or is that just a precaution.

Because with so-called "increased stability" I'd be more willing to get this. Though it also seems that might just be a lie.

8. VaatiKaiba

VaatiKaiba New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Well, it would appear there are no new in-game features to speak of... As someone mentioned, traffic is still broken (for me that makes the game unplayable). I never got that crazy advisor-template-screen, so I can't say if that's been fixed. And if cities are still crashing ... What's new, EA?

9. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Pretty anonymous update really ... given the large update number i would kinda expect more ..

Hopefully they have a "real" update coming to fix the myriad of problems the release has

Only thing i can say for sure it changed is the load times seem quicker

10. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    update number is not "large"
    version numbering is COMPLETELY arbitrary
    there is no minimum necessary improvement to go from 1.0 to 1.3 at all.

i.e. linux distros that jump from version 3 to 7 to "compete"...

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA

why would you NEED iTunes? you're playing it on your phone!:) I download all my games/apps through the phone... as far as i can tell if you really wanted to, you wouldn't have to use iTunes for anything...but you'd be silly because it makes sense to back it up just in case...

If you're holding off because of iTunes, maybe just download it to your phone? Also I don't think that price tag will come down from $10... EA likes to keep the price consistent it seems

12. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Also for me it's fixed the Land Value overlay... which is helpful kinda haha

13. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Usually when it comes to bug fixes I expect 1.01 or 1.1 minimum. There's no need to go to 1.3 unless there were new features or at least all bugs fixed, not stability issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place. It should have been 1.01 for this stability patch, then 1.1 for major bug fixes like traffic. Then save 1.3 for maybe subways and highways being added.

There's no rules behind it, so no one can be wrong, especially in this app store age, but just saying from my experience, especially with graphics software, the version number is usually taken more serious. So no matter what there will be many of us that thinks the 1.3 version number is silly.

14. Malen33

Malen33 New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Unfortunately the update did nothing for me. With my city of 200,000, the game still constantly crashes within 5 minutes and takes far too long to load. Very disappointing, because when it works, the game is brilliant.

15. tylerdw89

tylerdw89 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    So, even with the problems, is this game worth the 10 bucks?

16. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Well, it is worth $10 bucks, and I enjoyed it for a bit, but I don't want to play anymore because I think the bugs hold you back at a certain point. If you get it now, hopefully a real fix will be out by the time you get the hang of it.

17. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I say it will be worth $10 once they fix the bugs. The Transportation bug is preventing my city from growing.

18. tylerdw89

tylerdw89 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I'm actually quite curious about this, because not *every* single person is having these issues. The transportation thing can be very sensitive (I think most people can attest to this who have played it on the PC). So is it certain that this is a bug, and not just oversight or however you want to say it by the user?

Thank you for the replies btw!

19. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I owned Sim City 3000, and Sim City 4. Sim City 3000 I never noticed problems with the transportation, and this seems to be a port for the most part of Sim City 3000.

Sim City 4, it was just a hard game all around without using cheats :p (but still extremely fun), with it I did have trouble perfecting the transportation. But it wasn't as pronounced and it didn't cause a lot of issues for the city itself, like it does on the iPod/iPhone.

And for the record, even the pre-loaded starter cities have this transportation "bug" if it is one.

20. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Tome it seems like the load time is alot slower now but thats pribly becauee my city is 300k+ population now. I never had stability issues befor either so i wouldnt know, but this game is definitely worth the price. Its so addicting with such a high replay value.

Now only if i can listen to my own music as opposed to the simcity elevator music