iPad SimCity help :)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JDH22, Dec 17, 2008.

1. JDH22

JDH22 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oregon
    I haven't played SimCity in about 10 years, and so I have forgotten many things about it :(. The road block that I have been running into, so far, is going into debt. I try hard not to, but don't get why I do? Can anyone help me, maybe give me strategies or something to gain money and not lose money?:confused::confused:

2. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    What I remember fondly about SimCity 3000 was the need to constantly manage funding for every type of service. It wasn't simply enough to put down a police station in one place and a school in another, you would then have to micromanage their funding so that they weren't covering too large an area, and then expand them over time. Try cutting the budgets of all your services to ensure they are at a satisfactory level but no higher, that can save you a lot of money.

Unlike SimCity 2000, you couldn't just walk away for an hour and come back to expect to see yourself still in the black, you actually had to play SimCity 3000.

3. Liljeberg

Liljeberg Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Graphic Designer / IT Support
    Sweden
    Build small low density zones in the beginning, expanding little by little. Don't build a lot of utilities (police, fire, schools etc) in the beginning they can cost quite a lot every month if you don't have people that pays taxes.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Im with you on this one. I was so amped about it coming to iphone and the thought of playing whenever I have a little time here and there...

Then I realized I have no idea what i'm doing anymore :(

5. JDH22

JDH22 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oregon
    Great help! Thanks a lot :). Yea, I was building roads, and a lot of buildings that took up too much space. I should've condensed it into a smaller area and waited for them taxes. Thanks again

6. JDH22

JDH22 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oregon
    Yea the tutorial didn't really help, at all. Haha, but I now have the hang of it even more now that i condensed my space on the map.

7. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Haha, I know exactly how you feel. :D SimCity is a great game -- but it *will* make you feel really stupid, really fast. :eek:

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    AGREED! I finished the tutorial, started a new game an followed the same guidelines... then waited... and waited... till I released that what I thought was a pause button was actually telling me that the game IS paused. So once I set it to 1x speed things started moving but I had to put my phone down in utter shame :(

This is why I need instruction booklets!

9. JDH22

JDH22 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oregon
    Haha, an instruction booklet would be brilliant! I have yet another question tho. When there is, say a little red circle with either a water droplet in it, or a lightning strike, does that mean that source needs electricity or water? Or does it mean they have it already? Because i put electric sources (the wires and such) and it has the circle with the electric strike in it

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, it means it needs either water or power.

You can also click the question mark then the building to see detailed info.

Also, once it has power and water it takes a little bit for the warnings to disappear.

11. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    If something has the little red circle it means it is missing that thing. If you have power lines with red circles you need to make sure they are connected to your power plant. This can also happen further into the game when your single power plant isn't enough to power your city. Build a second plant.

12. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    There actually *is* a sort of instruction booklet in there...

From the main menu, go to 'Help' -> 'How to play'. There are detailed instructions for the controls, advisors, menu structure, right down to layered views. Quite helpful.

13. JDH22

JDH22 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Oregon
    Blah, i have so many questions lol. It seems as if every month my money keeps decreasing by say 500 dollars monthly. I have a reasonably amount of buildings, but still goes down. Is there a way to raise taxes, or something like that?

14. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    Actually, the area thing came in Sim City 4. In SC4 you could/can (I still have it installed on my computer) vary the funding for each library, police station, fire station, hospital etc depending on the population density in that particular area.

In 3000 you only have city wide funding for each of the utility categories, unfortunately.

15. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    Tap the three dots in the lower right, then the paragraph sign to the far left, then tap the small side arrow on the budget screen to show the taxes screen, two taps more to the right will give you the utilities expense screen where you can decrease funding for stuff.

16. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Oh really? Humm, getting my versions mixed up. Pity that's not in this one though, although micro management on a micro screen might drive me crazy.

17. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Okay, I've never played Sims before and I'm really curious about SimCity. But is this "tap three times then spin twice and spit over your shoulder" typical for any move you need to make in the game? How are the controls for your typical "do it every few minutes" type of move (e.g., add building, power, etc.)?

Thx in advance

18. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I have a feeling once I get this game running I'll need help. The last time I probably played a version was Sim City 2000 either on a Mac Performa 575 or a Power Computing Clone. I also recall little after school SimCity 2000 tournaments in the computer lab at High School, where I failed miserably since I had no real plan to grow my city the best within like a 45 minute time limit.

19. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    Buildings zones etc is three taps away. But all the management, funding, ordinances and all that is hidden in the above mentioned "three dots" menu button. That is actually where all the important stuff happens if you want to make any money. It's very difficult, if not to say impossible, to build a city and keep the budget in the black without fiddling with taxes.

20. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Has anyone figured out how to raise or lower the terrain??? It's killing me!