iPad SimCity Help Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BOWB4ZOD, Dec 18, 2008.

?

what would you rate sim city

1. 1/5

15.4%
  2. 2/5

11.5%
  3. 3/5

9.6%
  4. 4/5

38.5%
  5. 5/5

25.0%
  1. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    I think it might be a good idea to start a sim city help thread.

Post your questions so people can help answer them

2. BOWB4ZOD

Dec 4, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    what is the RCI meters in the top right of the game screen?

If my memory of the old games serves me right, it's how much your city needs either residential, commercial or industrial zoning. The higher up the meter it is, the more you need it, the lower down then you have too much.

3. BOWB4ZOD

Dec 4, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    my city needs more transportation, i built a train station but no body uses it. Why? and how do i get the buses?

4. DarthBradicus

DarthBradicus Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, you need more than one train station and tracks connecting them. The stations need to be placed in areas that make it convenient for your Sims to use them (e.g. placing one in a residential area and one in an industrial area so they can get to and from work), but if the they have to travel al around the city on the train to get to their stop, but the road goes straight to their destination, then they won't take the train.

Same for buses, except they take the roads you've already built. You just build bus stations in different zones so they can take the bus to and from work, etc.

5. matt1308

matt1308 New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    My water station and trash plant don't have power, but i attached power lines from my power station... what's the problem?

6. Liljeberg

Liljeberg Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Graphic Designer / IT Support
    Sweden
    Correct, and if the RCI are in the plus and you don't want to/can't build more of that type you can higher the tax for that type to quench the demand.

7. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    I think they are unlocked when you are a bit further into the 1900's. Around 1950 or so.

8. kaptenkofot

kaptenkofot New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Help!
    How do I build a bridge across water? The help states that I should just draw the road over the water and then the bridge will be created, but nothing happens... What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

9. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have also been trying to build a bridge, but I cannot find how to do it.

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

You can't always build a bridge. I think you need a straight coast on both sides.

11. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

My city has -19000 money, four credits running and the two power plants exploded. Help? ;)

12. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    To build a bridge you need to start dragging the road a couple of squares before the water and end it some squares in on the other side. Also, you can't build anywhere, the two river banks should be pretty parallell.

13. kaptenkofot

kaptenkofot New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    More transportation trouble

Thanks with the bridges, now the two sides are connected.
    But they keep on complaining about poor transportation.
    I have roads connecting the zones everywhere and a railroad as well.
    Should I build additional roads (even when not needed) to the zones getting abandoned or what is the problem?

14. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    The sims don't want to go too far by car. If you have looong roads without any zones on the sides, ie you have built an "isolated" suburb you need to either connect it to industrial/commercial by train or make sure they have somewhere to work closer by.

Lots of "unnecessary" roads cost money in maintenance.

15. Cousin Dirk

Cousin Dirk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    My main problem is that my people want a stadium, but I can't get it to appear in the earned buildings section. I had it there for a while, but couldn't afford it, and now it's nowhere to be seen.

16. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    Im a newbie in this sim city thingy, can anybody give me like a rought way to start? Like how do i build houses and all that stuff. Thanks.

17. Liljeberg

Nov 7, 2008
    Sweden
    The basic stuff is best learnt using the built-in tutorial.

18. oh wow

sim city engineers... um yeah

19. Thechansen

Thechansen Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Man all my tried and true methods of city building seem to fail here, it seems that the distances that the sims are willing to drive for work is a bit short. Anyone know the amount of tiles from a res zone to a com or ind they are willing to drive?

20. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea this one requires diff tactics for some reason, it's not far they will drive, but check your pollution map and make sure u have enough distance from all your Indy pollution. I have my industrial away from my main city connected by train.