Universal SimCity BuildIt (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. davegobe

davegobe Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Chemist
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have any good city block layouts? I'm trying to figure out some to maximize space with fire stations, parks, etc.

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I think it's just plain uninspired design. Played it for a few weeks during the soft launch and deleted it because there was no payoff to anything. For the so-called IAP squeezes to work there has to be a sense in the player that they *want* whatever it is typing in their password is going to get them.

Here, leveling up feels like a punishment and at the end of the punishment cycle you are in the same place as you were before the level up with the same game sans one difference: now you have a building or 3 providing some "service" that now works as a magic foozle devoid of any strategic value.

In other words, if this is how they expect to make money, they failed, because the longer I played the less I cared about "my" city. The last thing I felt like doing was paying any money, and I don't think my feelings were biased by being part of the soft launch since it hasn't even cracked the top 200 for grossing since its launch a week ago.

------

If someone manages to stick with the game until they unlock the disasters, let me know if they're any fun. I didn't care enough to even grind my way that far. Just an all around "meh" design.

3. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I think the "payoff" is...taller buildings.

4. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Tip I only just figured out. If you want to fill multiple factory slots with the same item, you can touch and drag across all the open production slots.

Really nice touch.

5. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    It looks to me like waste @ lvl 14 and health @ lvl 16 are the last "mandatory" services and everything after that is just cooler versions of old things or optional population boosters. Is that right?

I think that my plan is to save save save, and slowly upgrade so that I can build large waste and health facilities off the bat and not have to worry about them for a while.

Today I made about 40-45k and gained about 2.5 levels, all by crafting and upgrading existing residences and not adding new ones. Also sold lots of goods and unfortunately had to spend some money upgrading roads.

6. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    This looks really fun. I look forward to getting it. I have SimCity 4 for my computer.

7. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    It isn't anything like the game play of SimCity 4 on the PC/Mac. It's a skinned clone of Farmville, or the other countless "builders".

8. ditroia

ditroia Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Anyone know how to add friends? As others have said you need to save and plan ahead. But I am really enjoying this.

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Reminds me a whole lot of the FarmVille 2 game on the iOS. Are the stores bugged atm? Factories work all slots with things in them at once. Stores currently only work one slot at a time.

Really hoping the stores are bugged and are supposed to work all slots simultaneously like the factories

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Nope, stores are working as intended. Nothing like showing your player base what you think of them in making the timers "not so bad" for the base components, but making them into a strictly linearly compounding matter for the *one* building that can make advanced goods, which you need for nearly every upgrade after the first week or so.

And, yes, my first thoughts were that they were trying to copy FV2:CE with this game, but FV2:CE is a lot more fun than this dry, uninspired piece of beautiful junk from EA.

11. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Definitely not feeling inspired to spend iap to support that's for sure :) when not online, anyone tried spinning the clock forward on our devices to speed up the commercial buildings and tax collection?

12. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't know if a representative of the developer reads this forum, but I have a suggestion that would a) create some goals b) make it less tedious for non-paying players, and c) not upset their model for payment.

I suggest a building or upgrade or achievement that, as you progress, gives you a flat reduction in the length of all timers. So with a one-minute reduction, steel would craft instantly, with a 3 minute reduction wood would craft instantly, etc. The point of this would be that as crafting gets more complex, it would reduce the number of times players have to log on to refresh production. At the same time, because it is a flat rather than percentage reduction, it would have a very trivial effect on the long crafting timers.

13. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I dropped in to talk about how levelling up feels like a punishment, as has been mentioned before. I was first surprised by sewage at level 8 or so. It took me a few hours to save up to buy an outflow pipe, i thought i had hit the paywall and was ready to delete.

I knew there was no way to save for transportation or education and thankfully my sims merely whine about the lack of services. I was almost ready when it came time to unlock the police, i had saved enough for a medium police station. I had learnt my lesson from the sewage debacle. I rearranged my town so my best residential buildings were clustered around the police station. I had to upgrade a number of roads in the process. I also have a suburban unpoliced area which has fire cover. The residents complain about the lack of police but they dont move out.

Im glad to hear the demand for new services stops after level 16 as its simply not fun the way it is currently implemented.

14. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm teed up for level 16 right now, actually. City layout has gaps for hospitals, I need one more upgrade to get to lvl 16 or 4 more to afford the hospitals, and in about 30 minutes I'll be able to upgrade 4 at once and build the hospitals.

I'm going to continue keeping a close eye on what unlocks each level (you can see when things unlock both by tapping the purple level indicator and via the city services menus) but my next goals are to unlock the port and save up to build a third "neighborhood" with small police, fire, and health coverage. The sooner I can the better - I've seen the prices for 6-lane roads and they are not pretty. Hoping to keep my biggest buildings spread out enough to get by with 4-lane roads for a while longer!

I'l think about schools and things like that sometime later. Lots to do and less money to do it with!!!

15. Tizona

Tizona Active Member

Jan 26, 2013
    2nd Attempt

After deleting and reinstalling the game, I began the game again this time with only 12 residential area which I upgrade to max with 3 park and 27000+ pop.

Since all house are max, there is no quest which give me exp currently and I am only at level 8 and already unlock the seaport (which cost 10000 money and I still have to wait for 1 DAY and 8 HOURS. CURSE YOU EA and MAXIS)

Now I am utterly broke since I spent all money on park because I thought that park would unlock upgrade for my house. It just increased population in the area instantly. It's good for unlocking building restricted by population I supposed. ( Now I have access to solar plant if I have 22000 to spent.)

Unsurprisingly, trading post, which should be one of the key feature of the game, are pretty bad source of income. Unlike hay day, where upgrading material are hunted furiously, no one buy anything from my store, even the upgrading material.

The only way to get money really fast now is to bait AI to think my storage is overloaded so that it want to trade with me. (I just got an offer to buy 8 planks of wood for 1100 money)

But hey!! At least I can farm for money and wait for seaport which should solve my storage problem and giving me some money and key...

... and I still stuck at level 8 which is a plus for me since now I can plan my city layout more carefully. When I am satisfied, I will have enough money and keys to spent.

16. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Theres a 'wealth forecast' button in the residential menu. I assume if i upgrade a zone in a premium or luxury area then i will be given a fancier building graphic when i upgrade. Im not sure if i get extra population or cash for upgrading in higher wealth areas. I assume areas that have better services or parks will have better wealth forecasts.

17. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I said essentially the same thing, yet my posts have been deleted. Strange.

18. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Leveling up is a punishment.

I've added way more residential not because I want to but because I have to if I want to scrap enough money together to buy a sewage plant or a city dump or a police station.

Selling on the market is useless because no one buys. The docks don't yield enough money either.

I'm on the verge of deleting this.

19. Meher

Meher Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I was playing the game and enjoying it, I figured out that you shouldn't level up before saving enough coins to buy the unlocked services, so don't upgrade your buildings and try to collect as much coins as possible.

The problem I'm facing is that the trade depot seems to not work at times. I'll give an example: I buy stuff at the lowest price possible from other players and then sell them with a little margin. It worked very well, people keep buying the stuff I sell and I make my small margin. Repeat the action several times and it adds up. Problem is, while I'm always keeping the same selling price, I don't sell stuff for a very long period of times (5 hours, 10 hours, or more it depends), and I have to delete an item I'm selling with 1 SimCash and then put another one, and it starts again, it's as if my items weren't listed in the Trade HQ, even though they are all advertised. Yesterday I couldn't sell any item the whole evening, I removed an item during the night and sold everything in minutes ! In the morning it worked fine, I was selling the items very quickly, and then all of a sudden I don't sell anything, while keeping the same prices, or even lowering the prices. I tried what I did last night, losing 1 SimCash and deleting an item and then adding another one and it didn't work. Still nothing sold for more the whole day. This is really annoying. Anyone facing this? Any solution?

20. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    What do we know about how the game decides to give you a new residential zone?

What I'm wondering is, if I want to grind money and experience without having to increase the number of city services I provide...can I just delete built out residences and plant new ones? Or is that wasting a limited number of total residences?