Universal SimCity BuildIt (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I played it in softlaunch and wasn't keen just seemed like a time sink which was repetative and expensive. Might take another look see if it chaned much but I wish EA put their funds into making good games.

Such a sad world where everything has to be freemium to make a profit.

2. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, dang. Was hoping there was another option to pay full price and it actually be like a Sim City game. :(

3. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Game crashes when connecting to game center

4. rockhount

rockhount Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Installed, tested, crappy timers everywhere, unprecise controls...uninstalled

5. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    Unprecise controls just what was you playing it on ?

6. rockhount

rockhount Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    #66 rockhount, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    IP6+

Sometimes it was hard to place buildings or streets properly
    But the real issue was that EA promised a different F2P experience, but it's traditional F2P greedy Crap. At least the game wasn't able to convince me in the beginning...as there is no second chance for first impressions (too many good games unplayed anyway), I deleted it

7. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    So far I'm impressed.

To be clear, this game is 100% a freemium crafting game. It has a thin veneer of Sim City elements grafted on, like building streets, laying out your city, managing pollution and city services, etc. Happy residents = higher taxes and = more upgrades, which (at the price of slooowly crafted goods) are how you get more people, make more money, and unlock more features. I've only been playing for a day but so far it's working. This may be the best freemium crafting game I've ever played.

But it's still a freemium crafting game.

8. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    When has that ever been an option in recent years for any game.

9. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    That's why I said "hoping". ;)

10. StealthDawg

StealthDawg Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I am really enjoying this game. Timers don't bother me one bit. Just come back later and make some progress and continue.

11. TheNoobOfTheCentury

TheNoobOfTheCentury Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Its okay. No internet required and after an hour not very forceful on the iaps at all. Its fine, i just think that it is kind of a little bland. But there still is timers too.

12. Shabbis

Shabbis Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Is there anyway to remove or sell a building or zone? Say, for instance, I added a small fire station because it was all I could afford, but now I can afford a larger fire station. Can I sell or remove the small fire station?

13. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    If you press and hold on a building, there should be a bulldoze icon in the top right. I think you get a little money back for selling more expensive buildings.

14. Shabbis

Shabbis Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Ah, found the bulldozer. Thanks.

15. birnbe

birnbe Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 8, 2012
    After playing for 1-2 days, this is unfortunately as close to the real Sim City as Dungeon Keeper was to it's classic counterpart. Shame...

16. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    #76 romiem, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Having not played the original Sim City (but having played freemium Dungeon Keeper), I came into this game with no expectations regarding how it compared to it's predecessors.

I have to say I am really enjoying this so far.

The presentation is fantastic (iPhone 6) and I've had no major problems with the UI/controls. I am only about 4-5 hours in, but I have not found the timers obnoxious (max 5 minutes).

The fun part for me is deciding how to structure my city- where to place roads, factories, residential areas and stores.

At it's core, this is still a craft and grind game but so far it seems much more generous with it's timers and cost of items than say Seabeard or Tiny Tower.

17. Tizona

Tizona Active Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Stop before level 8

For anyone who try to spam residential area for money and exp, prepare for massive happiness drop when you reach level 8. I have 22 res, a medium firehouse, medium size park, 2 medium park, 3 wind plant, 3 water tower, and only 3000 gold left.

When I hit level 8, suddenly everyone in the city demand sewage and happiness drop sharply. Tax was also hit.

There are 3 options for money at level 8.

1. Upgrade res by crafting item (since leveling up mean unlocking new utility which the sims are furiously demanding or they won't pay tax, EXP is now a bad thing.)
    2. Sell your crafted item to your AI neighbor (money is so scarce and negligible I don't even bother)
    3. Tax from your mayor's house. (you just have to click this one every 24 hours. You can click earlier than that, but the money will be proportional to the time you wait)

My situation is I need sewage for 22 res area and only have 3000 money left.
    Smallest one cost 4000 for 7 res area
    Medium one cost 12000 for 28 res area

Option 1 is out of the picture until I check when the next utility will come.
    Option 3 is also tedious since it means I can't expand at all. Everyone in the city is 80% happy now which mean less tax for me. At 100% tax rate is about 3000 money. And even at max happiness, I still have to wait up to 4 days REAL TIME to have enough money.

I will reset the game.

18. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    This feels much more like FarmVille. This is NOT a city simulator. Has nothing in common with sim city.

19. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I had the same problem but didn't find that I needed to reset the game - sewage alone won't drop happiness lower than about 80% and you get most of your money from upgrading residences, which does not increase the amount of services they consume. I hit level 8 needing the 12,000 coin sewage outflow pipe and it look me about half a day of grinding craftables to upgrade enough residences to build the plant. Now I'm at level 10 and I need a second plant, and I know not to build any more residences until after I have it built. Live and learn.

20. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I have noticed that police stations become available at level 12 and small ones cost 10,100. I will need 3 right away, so I'm leaving potential residences unbuilt while I save up cash. This is the IAP-ey part of the game, I presume.