Universal SimCity BuildIt (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    It's definitly worth the download. It's still in soft launch, so maybe the timers will get tweaked eventually. Like I said, I'm gonna stick with it for a few because it IS a really nice looking city builder. Plus, the 3D aspect of it is pretty cool. Definitly try it and let me know what ya think.

2. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    But is it just another f2p builder or are there some elements from the real simcity games left?

Are there objectives that requires planning or is it all just a prettier version of the far too many freemium builders already on the appstore?

3. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Free Sim City game by EA is the first that DOESN'T NEED WIFI Yippee!!!!!
    Tested and offline on iPad Mini 8.1 and I like it I don't care that I have to wait as long as its offline I am good its fun simple and easy and kinda funny sims pop up in corner speaking simlish !
    YOU ROCK EA keep it offline going worldwide and ill be happy .. Though I wont update unless its still offline though love the game worth a pick up yea its got a timer thing for stuff but but its cute and neat ^-^

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  5. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Looks great at first. But this game doesn't need freemium. If we ignore crap like this and buy sensibly priced games maybe EA will wake up

6. giantfuzzball

giantfuzzball Member

Mar 24, 2013
    It's really a dumbed down version of sim city. Is more like supercells hayday than sim city. There is no everyday management of your city, what's worse is they have removed the decent paid version they had on the store, which they could of just updated and give us the choice to play that or this crap.

7. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Wake up to what? The forgetting that they get better ROI on games like this?

EA is a huge corporation. Some of their sub-brands aren't purely amoral bean counters, but EA proper is a flat out profit maximizing machine. Real Racing 3, for all the crap it gets around here, is still a top 100 grossing game nearly 2 years after it launched. How many lovingly crafted indie premium titles do you think went totally bust in that same time?

This isn't changing. Go play an alternatively priced game, go read articles on gamasutra and weep for the indie devs living on generic rice krispies because of the situation, but to rant about what EA does as though you are anything other than an ant cursing about getting stepped on in downtown Manhattan and thinking anything is coming of it is delusional in the extreme. EA makes games that make them money because they make people happy enough to drop that money on their games, it's that simple.

People who care this much about the freemium issue are neither numerically, and certainly not monetarily, significant to the likes of EA going for the largest possible customer base with the largest possible ROI.

8. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    So because the guy expresses his opinion on freemium games and encourages others to vote with their wallets he gets this pile of pseudo intellectual nonsense thrown at him?

Oh and you may want to look up the word rant because you clearly don't know what it means

9. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Yeah, he does. It is exasperating reading people cursing that the sky is blue in 75% of the posts for every free to play game. I'm here to read about the game's mechanics, whether it's stable in the soft launch version, if there is any differentiating features or if it's just EA's prettier version of the dozens of other FTP city builders out there and simply callously using the brand to gain attention in a very crowded genre, even a objective discussion of what the freemium system used is, etc.. But to waste everyone's time with yet another cookie cutter bitch that it has timers and freemium mechanics is simply BS nowadays.

So, whether it was a literal rant or not, don't care anymore, it becomes a rant by definition because ALL such comments are metaphorically some old dude screaming at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn at this point. We are nearly half a decade into the rise of freemium. iOS gaming has spent more time under the dominance of free to play than it ever did under so-called premium. It's time to give it up and just discuss the games as they are instead of inserting a bunch of "politics" into these threads.

10. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    No, it wasn't a rant but your post was

Last i checked you don't decide what we can and can't post. Ironically your post did more to derail this topic than his and it was also exactly what you're opposed to so maybe you should take a hard look in the mirror before going off on someone else?

Just because you have given up doesn't mean the rest of us have and i will fight freemium every step of the way. What you think about that means nothing

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Ugh, was hoping to read some actual impressions on this game and so far there's... seemingly one person who has even bothered playing it (even though the game is totally free to download and try) before launching into the same ol' free to play hatred that happens in every thread. I don't even know what to do anymore to fix this. A good 90% of the posts here don't even have anything to do with Sim City as much as they do just generic anti-EA anti-IAP stuff I could paste into literally any free to play game thread and no one would even realize the rants were about a different game.

12. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Lol, Wow! This thread went off topic, but I expected it with it being EA and all I guess.

I still stand by my initial impressions. Although it seems like their servers may not be working because I had deleted the game to make room for something else, then reinstalled it later on and lost my progress. No big deal though. You take that rush with soft launches. I still say it's the best city builder that I've played on iOS. Like I said before, if your into F2P city builders, then definitely check this one out. Just keep an open mind. This is NOT Sim City for the PC, so your going to get hit with timers, dual currencies, social networking stuff, ect, but I think most of the city builders on the AppStore are pretty much the same. If you look past that stuff, it's actually a pretty decent game! I'm going to start up a new city again, so I'll try and post some more impressions once I get past where I was before. There is just not enough time in the day to keep up with the AppStore and trying to post impressions on everything. Hopefully people will try this one out though.

13. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    /golfclap

I try to avoid downloading softlaunches unless they are for a game that's really in my wheelhouse since there I might actually have something useful to say to the developers testing it out, but I enjoy reading what other people who are taking the time to play in a public beta think about the upcoming title.

And while this is a title I normally would have held off on until proper launch, in the spirit of constructivity, downloading it now to my PC and will transfer to my iPad later.

In the abstract, I like freemium builders, but I have yet to find a city builder on iOS that was even worthy of comparison to the gazillion Facebook freemium city builders that are on that platform (and those are largely terrible :p)

1. Make sure there is no upper limit to our ignore lists ;)
    2. Enforce a no non-constructive discussion of monetization with a 3 day suspension for the first offense, a 1 week suspension for the second offense, and a perma ban on the 3rd.

If someone wants to constructively discuss how a specific aspect of the monetization doesn't work for the title, that is helpful, particularly in soft launch (c.f. some of the better thought out stuff in the Seabeard thread) but I just put people on ignore instantly when I see a generic negative attitude about free to play.

App Store opened in 2008, by 2010 we were well within the race to the bottom with everything being pushed to a $0.99 maximum price point and fire/free sales left and right. By 2011, wasn't even a question of where things were headed so I can't fathom how the subject can still be considered something deserving of such cookie cutter posts even from people who do hate it. I feel like I'm hearing some old guy complain about desegregation for all the relevance to the games or the platform. Plenty of genres I have no interest in so I ignore them, I wish they would do the same when it comes to freemium titles.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We're considering implementing a system to ban people from specific threads. For instance, if you decided to dog pile this thread with generic free to play hatred, we can just kick you out and (hopefully) you'll actually contribute to another thread with something meaningful. After enough thread bans, you'd get straight up banned. Might help turn things around a bit, but it's going to require a lot of moderation to have it work properly.

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea, it'll take a LOT of moderation, but hopefully it works. Maybe just make a "Rant" thread for people that feel they need to get whatever off their chest. I mean, I know I've been there before and I'm sure a lot of other people have also. I'm sure it's not going to keep EVERYBODY from voicing their opinion on regular game threads, but I guess that's where mods come into play. Just a suggestion.

16. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm still hesitant to try it but keep trying to convince myself to do it lol. I am going to do it!!! I think. /smh @myself

17. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    It's free so I'll definately try it when it releases. How long I stick with it is the question.

18. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Would anyone pls add me via game center? No friends are playing atm.. :) My nick is: RossoBo

Thanks