Universal Silversword - RPG (Bard's Tale '85 homage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    So with the full game going on sale recently, I thought I'd pick it up even with my reservations about the lite and give it a good, proper go. Lo and behold what do I see when I open up the page on the app store? IAP. And lots of it. So the developer was trying to re-create the authentic Bard's Tale experience even at the cost of a modern, intuitive interface? That was the vision as described above, no? So just how many players were purchasing in-game coin for real money in 1985, anyway? Unbelievable. Sickening, shameful, and hypocritical. Glad I chanced to look down the page before I hit the "buy" button.

2. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Gabrien,the IAP is not required to play the game at any stage,what difference does it make to you if other people cheat themselves by buying gold.Happy new year to all.

3. mrpetrov

mrpetrov Member

Jan 10, 2011
    The iap is irrelevant in this game. It's just for gold which I've never lacked for in-game anyway. I hate games with iap generally, but this game is not impacted any way by it imho.

This is no dungeon hunter 3. Check out the game's own forums if you doubt me.

Petrov.

4. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    You've both missed my point: a passion-driven developer goes to great lengths to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity -- except where there's a chance of filling his wallet.

I couldn't care less whether the IAP is optional or not. In this particular case its presence alone stinks to high heavens.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Suppose someone wants to make as much money as possible, and he decides the best way to do that is to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity. Is that really such a tragedy, if you get the experience you want and he gets some compensation for his work? If you buy a classic automobile that is faithfully restored, or a perfect reproduction of a classic American quilt, does it really offend you to the end of your days if the person who did that work gets paid for it?

6. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Allowing for IAP to enter the gameplay equation IS a sacrifice to the game's authenticity. That's the whole point. I'm frankly astounded that somebody can type that whole paragraph, come up with two metaphors, and still in no way whatsoever touch on the actual argument being made.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If you just choose not to use the IAP, it's only a sacrifice to the authenticity of someone else's experience, and therefore it doesn't affect you at all. It's like complaining that your authentic Chinese meal is not actually authentic because there is also non-authentic fusion cuisine, on the same menu, that you didn't order. Maybe serving both types of customers, those who want authentic and those who want something different, keeps the restaurant in business.

8. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    really not bad

9. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Ah, wonderful! In that case I'll take my updated UI, thanks, and those who want to pretend they are playing in DOS can do so! Except no, I can't do that, because the ONLY concession to the 21st century the developer has chosen to make is one where he stands to benefit financially. Which is what I said, ooh, about three posts ago. Now I just feel stupid for getting drawn into an argument with someone who doesn't get that two explanations later. Sorry, I'm done.

10. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Cool thanks - that worked great.
    I was a bit disappointed that the lite version was made easier, not just more limited. Some of the later battles are already somewhat difficult in the lite version - I relied quite heavily on the song of life. Hopefully it won't be too difficult now - we'll see.

11. Nikademus

Nikademus Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Absolutely fantastic game - I can't write a review good enough to do it justice!

One of the few real rpg games on the rpg app store. Real depth, a good level of challenge - you can tell the amount of effort and passion the developer has for this amazing production. There has already been an update with a few improvements. I can't wait for future expansions or releases.

Mario is also fantastic at giving very rapid help and support on the forum.

A real shame this has descended into another "in app purchases are the invention of the devil!" discussions. You really don't need them to complete the game. Personally I bought the compemdium and a couple of money bags - not as they were necesarry, but because I wanted to support the developer amd really hoped this would be a commercial success.

I've played well over 60 hours. Having completed it, I'm still going strong, creating a party of god like archmages!

Fantastic work Mario - this game is a real credit to you!

12. Update 2.051 is out

Finally, the new update is live! This will not only remove the annoying forest map bug, but it will also bring new features to you.

Here is the list of the changes:

- Better introductory help screen overlay when starting a new game
    - Show map performance increased
    - Show stats on a new tab, just use the left arrow on your character screen
    - Block Movement when showing Continue / Lore, so that you won't accidently dismiss the dialogue
    - Curing NUTS bug resolved
    - Changed mitre to make it more usable
    - Frequently used spells now being shown on top of the spell list when casting

In addition, the PDF engine was exchanged so that it consumes less memory. More performance and memory tweaks (crash issues) will be addressed with the next update (already in the works).

I will continue tweaking the user interface to make it more usable - although it will stay in the intended Bard's Tale style.

Regards
    Mario

13. Update 2.0.6 is out!

Maybe you want to give this game a try now.
    The new update has just been released and I have implemented some of the feature wishes from the community...

- Compendium: Repeated table header on each page in the item and creature list
    - New bank feature! You can now deposit items and money in the bank and simply go shopping without the need to carry the money with you. It will be drawn from your account automatically. Beware of robbers *jk*

There will be a huge improvement in map loading with the next update, after that it's time to focus on the first real extension.

Regards
    Mario

14. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Price drop to $1.99, so I'll be grabbing this tonight. I cut my teeth on the Bard's Tale II, so I can't wait to see how this plays.

Dave

15. News from Silversword

Hello dear friends,

while collecting ideas for extending Silversword, I plan on working on a new title.
    Silversword 2 - "Götterdämmerung" will become a full-blown 3D fantasy role-playing game in the style of Wizardry VII(I), in terms of ruleset and visualization.
    Because I live in germany, I cannot start this on kickstarter.com
    The german equivalent is startnext.de - a crowdfunding platform which I will use to get the necessary licenses for the 3D environment (Unity3D).

Please help me bring this to live. The first step is to collect 100 fans (no obligations).
    You can visit the project page here: http://www.startnext.de/silversword2
    I have tried to translate everything to english, and have added subtitles to the promotion video.

Become a fan and get this project started! As soon as there are 100 fans, the fundraising will begin. It will cover 90 days - after that, the target of 15000 Euro has to be reached, or else no funding will take place at all.

Thank you very much in advance
    Yours faithfully
    Mario

16. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Sounds cool - I signed up.

17. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    If I leave a character spot open, do wandering monsters have the potential to join the party?

18. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes Dave they do

19. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Too cool! Thanks for the help.

Dave

20. If you think that Silversword does not fetch the spirit of the original, you may now switch to The Bard's Tale and try playing part 1 - inXile has released it as a new feature within the game.

Regards
    Mario