iPhone Silverfish MAX - (by Chaotic Box)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I've been playing the iphone version of this game at 2X on my iPad for a few months (in HD using RetinaPad), but I went ahead and upgraded to the Max version tonight, and I'm glad I did. The Max version for the iPad has a significantly larger game screen than the 2X version, more room to maneuver, to play. And the graphics look even sharper than the retina graphics did. There are a few other interface tweaks as well. This is a big improvement, so glad the iPad version is finally here.

2. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    as expected, this is great!! I did not like to scale up the iPhone version to the iPad's screen as it was too blurry for my taste. But this native iPad version is the answer. It is great fun...

GET THIS! :)

3. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    how come sometimes u can bust them through the front and sometimes you just die?

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    #24 ChaoticBox, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Silverfish uses "bullet hell" style hit boxes. The player hit box barely covers the red "eyeball" part, and enemy hit boxes are similarly inset. Some enemies have hit boxes dead-center while others are just behind the head/eyes. Some of those enemy hit boxes are even smaller than the player's, so depending on the enemy and the angle of attack you can get quite a bit of visual overlap before a collision actually occurs.

Using small hit boxes make these sorts of games infinitely more playable, and lets you get away with risky moves - well, at least some of the time :D

5. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    @ ChaoticBox: could you please add a "reset to default" in settings for flick threshold? So we can do a lot of tests for commands optimization.

6. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Been meaning to do that... Here's a shot of the defaults so you can eyeball it for now. Touch controls are always kinda "loose" feeling so if you're off by a few pixels it really won't make much difference:

silverfishdefaultsflick.jpg
    silverfishdefaultsdpad.jpg

7. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    #27 MarkHerm, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    I just did a couple of games and I have to say, it's fantastic on the iPad! Thank you for porting it (even though it is obvious that it is no commercial success unfortunately).

I scored 32m in my last game -> 1st on the leaderboards (at least for now) :D

Great game, seriously.

8. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    congrats on TA frontpage coverage ;)

It is well deserved!

9. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    On sale this weekend!!! :eek:

10. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Oh yeah! I've been eying this one for a while. Nice to finally make it mine. Sits nicely between Spirit HD and Astral :D.

11. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Bought the HD version today (previously bought the iPhone version) was a bit pi$$ed of to find that iOS5 has buggered up my iPhones Bluetooth radio so I cannot connect it to the iPad with joypad app. Great game anyhow but makes me wonder how such a basic issue could have made it into the public release. I now note there are many others online who are having the same problem. If anyone has found a way to get around this (apart from the basic stuff I've already tried please post it here- thanks) Still worth double dipping at this price.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I bought it today as well, at the 99 cent price.

Perhaps the bluetooth issue is an incompatibility of the apps implementation of that with iOS 5? I don't know, I haven't tried using bluetooth since the update. Do you use it with a headset? Does that work? If so it might mean the apps need to be updated to support it.

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for the Joypad support and the sale :D

14. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    No it's that my iPhone doesn't see any devices in searchable mode, nothing to do with the apps it's a straightforward Bluetooth problem. Thanks for the input though :)

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'd suggest trying a restore and see if that clears it up. Just allot a lot of time for it. Of course if it's a bug that won't help, but if it was a problem due to the upgrade process, that would be fixed by it.

16. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Cheers guys - I think I posted about the sale in the wrong thread!

I also saw bluetooth problems on my iPad running iOS 5. It actually worked for a bit after a hard restart but eventually crapped out again. My iCade works 100% of the time over bluetooth however, so I'm inclined to think this is a Bonjour/networking bug rather than completely broken bluetooth. Joypad works flawlessly over WiFi - if you have a network handy that's definitely the way to go!

17. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Thanks Crunc buddy- I knew this would be someone's suggestion. it's definitely a last resort though. Having updated both my iPad and iPhone last week (iPad backup had an error and I lost ALL my data on that one: I'm over it now though I swore I wouldn't go through that again in a hurry) iPhone went smoothly other than this Bluetooth issue which surfaced today maybe I'll wait for the next incremental iOS update and hope that knocks it right. As I have kinda digressed on this thread I'll just add Silverfish really works well on the bigger screen and anyone not bored to bits by my post who read this far I give my recommendation without any qualms. It's a surefire keeper.

18. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Friday was Silverfish MAX's best single day of sales yet :) It also briefly hit the top 200 iPad apps in a few countries including the USA. Thanks folks!

Since the world didn't end, the sale hasn't either! You've got 1.5 more days to grab it for 99ยข before it reverts back to $2.99 on Monday.

19. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Picked this up, definitely liking the large screen. I think I like the touch controls better than using the Joypad app. Still need an iCade.

20. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    The Joypad guys just added an auto-recentering stick widget that might work better for Silverfish. It came too late for this update, but I'll be evaluating that for the next update.