Universal SideSwype (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #21 Qwertz555, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Though i know what this is about and i'm not (yet?) very interested...
    For me, too, it's as simple as EP and others say:

Edit: bought, now i'm a proud owner of all RadianGames. Welcome to the club.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I feel like the swipe mechanism is not smooth. It really takes a hard nudge to get the blocks to move.

3. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Anyone know what the fire and ice option is in settings?

4. Dentorin

Dentorin Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Picked this up because why would you wait on anything Radiangames? Overall, I don't find it to be a super deep experience. You swipe in a direction and all the blocks slide as far as they can that way. Line up 3 and they disappear, netting you some points. As you play, the game spawns increasing numbers of blocks into the playing field to up the challenge. Throughout play, you'll get special 4 and 5 blocks. Matching these blocks in a line of 4 or 5 respectively creates a power (that also has to be matched). 4's generate a power that destroys all adjacent blocks when matched. 5's generate a power that destroy all of the color you were matching.

Overall, it's definitely something I will spend more time with, if not only because it's super stylish. The game looks and feels fantastic as is the trait of any game by RG. Maybe I'll find additional depth with more time but after a while I just started swiping left, up, right, down in a loop and still stayed alive for several dozen swipes, unguided.

I don't regret my $1.99 spent as long as it helps to keep RG in the game making business.

5. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    What kind of device are you using? I could definitely adjust the sensitivity of how far you have to swipe. Also, do you have an example of swiping in a game that you think is better (I have played neither Threes nor any of the 2048 games).

Other issues:
    Fire/Ice: Two different songs for the soundtrack. They start off very similarly (maybe I should change that).

Circle Strategy: This is the best strategy if you don't want to pay attention. The game has a high random factor, so changing direction each time gives more blocks more unique chances to match. If you want to get a really good score (my best is just over 6000, but I've only scored over 4000 one other time, and usually can get between 2000-3000), you'll need to start paying attention, particularly once the spawns increase to 5.

LEADERBOARDS: The leaderboards are not yet working. They will be as soon as Apple approves the first update. The fix was submitted Monday night, so it should be reviewed any day now. Apologies for the issue. Often leaderboards don't show up until after a game is in review (so you can't tell if you submitted them correctly), and this was one of those times.

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Unsurprisingly awesome game. I assume the randomness mentioned includes where and from what direction new blocks enter the grid? At the bottom of the board, you can see the upcoming blocks' color and number but I haven't figured out if there's a way to tell where and in what order they will appear.
    Hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the awesome game(s).

7. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Bought this. I Own all the Radian games also, and will continue. I just hopes there's a Inferno+ 2 in the works. Played that release still today since day 1. Give us more twin sticks! Ha! Hopefully someday. Keep up the great games Radian!!

8. Yes, same, will always support Radian Games cause they rock, and I want to see some more Radian Games Dual Stick Shooters and Shmups! Let's all get this game!

9. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    I don´t know, but this game doesn´t seem to require any skill at all.

I was just swiping in a random direction and got points...I was hoping that there was more strategy to it.

Maybe it comes with longer play, but the first rounds were just to random.

10. TheBitPilot

TheBitPilot Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I hope there's a Fireball SE II in the works.

11. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    You are correct, there is a high random/luck factor to the game. It gets harder the longer it goes (100 swipes is when you get 5 spawns at once, 250 is where the 4/5 spawn frequency levels off). It's not a game about planning far in advance like Threes, it's about seeing and taking advantage of the opportunities as they arise. Destroying the 4s/5s and using the Diamonds/Bombs to your advantage is where the strategy really comes in.

There may be too much luck/randomness involved for some people, which I completely understand. I'd say this is my most phone (vs. tablet)-friendly game I've made, which carries both strong points and weak points with it, but it still has a strong skill/strategy factor involved in getting higher scores (and you'll need some good luck to get really awesome scores).

I hear ya. My next game is likely JoyJoy, a twin-stick shooter. Inferno 2 is also a possibility for this year, as is a Berzerk-like Ballistic spinoff. A sequel to Super Crossfire is also something I'd like to do. I'm hoping to get to all of those games (and some more puzzle games) this year if it goes well.

12. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Inferno sequel??? :D Super Crossfire sequel???:D JoyJoy??? :D This has my vote for post of the year...

13. Would love to help with the ios 7 joystick implementation if you need help on JoyJoy, if it is possible to add joystick support in your games, it would be great!

14. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Update is out already which fixes the leaderboard, etc.

15. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I feel like there's a fair deal of nuance and methodical planning in this game, it's just that the gameplay is so smooth and seemingly simplistic as to almost encourage starting off just by shoving the tiles around the board one row at a time with reckless abandon. But once the 4's and 5's start showing up in force and the spawns go up, if you don't start thinking ahead you'll be in serious trouble.

It kind of reminds me of when Ballistic first came out, and people were complaining about how you could just stick around the edges of the screen or the corners and survive without moving. Yes, that's one way of playing, ditto just moving tiles around willy-nilly in sideswype. But neither of those approaches are the optimal way to play their respective games, either.

Also, I'm having a blast with this one so far. Luke, you've done it again.

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #36 Guise, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Man, I would kill for a Radiangames vertically scrolling, top-down, portrait-oriented shmup. Kill.

17. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Having radiangames return to making lots of cool arcade and/or puzzle games is the best news I have heard in a long time. I agree a top-down vertical shmup would be absolutely amazing. Fireball SE II would be outstanding as well (fireball is my favorite of them all).

Of course it goes without saying that I am also totally excited at the possibility of joyjoy, inferno 2, super crossfire 2, and more ballistic!

18. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    Yeah I see....I will definately give this game more time, as I like the artstyle and the overall design of the game. Also was never really dissapointed with any game from you.

I bought Joy Joy a few years back on 360....do you plan on adding more content or features for the iOS version or is it a straight port?

19. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I am absolutely loving SideSwype and am finding it to be my favorite of the "Threes" genre (is there a name for this category yet?) It has a well implemented and aesthetically pleasing design and a suitable musical accompaniment. The randomness of the gameplay is also a breath of fresh air as it eliminates much of the tension that can otherwise be present with an overabundance of strategic planning - it carries more of a Tetris feel than a Chess feel. This is currently my preferred casual game. Much thanks to the developers for providing yet another mobile gem!

20. Me too, looking forward to Joyjoy too. Anything by RadianGames is good, but a Radian shmup would be awesome one day!