iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    @Crabman look! here it is again.

2. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I haven't - it sounds like they tried to make everyone happy and ended up leaving nobody happy.

Actually I'm getting used to it on the iPad, but I still think it'd be a struggle on smaller screens.

3. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Still digesting my thoughts in order to write up a more detailed impressions from my point of view but about the mistaken moving / moving map thing.

It's not impossible to do, Tokyo Dan.

They should just make it so routing your ship to another hex ONLY happens when you LIFT your finger, and only if you didn't drag after touching the screen (drag more than a few pixels would count as a camera move command).

So at all times if it detects a drag it means "ONLY MOVE THE CAMERA" and the last set place to move your ship stays put.

If you JUST tap a hex and LIFT then it means set move location. And other tap on that hex to confirm. Simples.

That would work, wouldn't it?

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I agree but have seen others claiming it was so clearly a direct port of a PC game, as if it always seems like a port of the other system.

So what do folk think of the Civ:BE tie in? I think it's pretty clever and very remeniscent of the Butterscotch ID system where achievements in one game unlocks little bits in the other game.

5. Baracus

I couldn't find much info about it other than:
    - it gives you some Arctic map in C:BE
    - you get more mission types and planet types in Starships (but no idea what exactly)

I don't have Beyond Earth. Do you? Is it worth getting? I've read mostly bad things about it compared to Civ 5, and I actually bought Endless Legend last week but can't play it yet.

6. Baracus

Actually I just half-answered my own question by logging into My2k in Starships.

Here's what you get:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I read something somewhere by the designers themselves said that it was initially designed for iPad. But it is not important. Minor annoyances aside it is a great game on both desktop and tablet.

8. muttso1o

muttso1o Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I've played the pc version and that screams made for mobile.
    So I have not yet bought the iPad version mainly because the price does'nt justify the lengt and overall depte of the game. If it where 9 euro's then it was a instant buy. Even though the whole 4x gameplay is very limited.

9. Baracus

You know you can tap and hold the battle card icons in-game to get a description, right?

10. hylang

hylang Member

Jan 23, 2015
    It's too expensive,not worth the money if you have played #

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I didn't. If it was mentioned in the tutorial, I forgot. Thanks for the tip.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    All that stuff sounds unlock worthy, but you did notice that all of those extras are locked, right?

To unlock them you'll have to pull some specific feats back in Civ:BE.

13. Amiln

Amiln New Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Awesome

I love Sid Meier's games! So excited about this one. I need to get a new iPad for it though...

14. Baracus

Yes I know. Hence my question to you about if you have that game and if you liked it :)

15. Baracus

#115 Baracus, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    No worries.

Long-tap works for most buttons, not just those by the way, to get a description/hint.

16. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    There are cannons and lasers. Cannons ar better for short range, lasers for long range.
    When firing, how do you select a cannon or a laser? Or is a cannon automatically selected when you are at close range and a laser when you are at longe range?

17. Baracus

Yea automatic as far as I can tell. I was wondering the same thing :)

Think you can tell from the colour of the line that's drawn towards the enemy. Yellow line is cannon, blue line laser. Where it changes to grey line is the extent of the range of that weapon.

18. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I was also wondering the same thing about lasers / cannons thanks Baracus for the clarification on this and the press and hold tooltip.

I am really enjoying this game a lot and it really has, like others mentioned, that X-Com vibe in space with a Civ mixture thrown in. I think anyone that is a X-Com fan that likes space exploration would enjoy this.

19. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Xcom has that suspense feeling though it's a turn based game, not real time and I enjoy it.

Does this too?

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, is it possible to disable those "handy" little yellow text boxes of tips that pop up as you play? I mean they're handy at first but after a few missions I no longer need the tip about how I can use asteroids for cover.

I actually hope to play some Civ:BE today, and to be honest, I think it is more for my desire to unlockmstiff in Starships than just because it would have normally been a dirst choice. To be fair, while no Alpha Centauri, it's not that bad a game especially after these big patches.

I think what irked me the most about Civ:BE, and hopefully the game is now better about this, is that, more than even its close relative Civ 5, was the feeling the AI was not playing the same game I was. I know the AI never bothered with any of the affinity quests and, even at the much higher difficulties, didn't seem to know how to win the game. As I'm no great player the AI could easily wipe me out, but I don't think it could actually attempt many of the win conditions like say a Scientific victory or one othe the Affinity victories.

So, if nothing else, and maybe because Starships is so streamlined, it is nice to hear that the AI does know how win the game in multiple ways, not simply by wiping out the player.